OT Any Merle Haggard Fans?

guildfire

• Members

Big Merle fan here.

He's not very popular here in the UK compared to the USA but I got a 4 disc boxset of his a while back, and it's full of quality songs. I particularly like 'Workin' Man Blues' 'The Fightin' Side of me' and 'Daddy Frank The Guitar Man' ... but therre are other great songs in there too.

I actually covered 'Workin Man Blues' a couple of times. In fact I might have to do that one again soon.

• Members

Put my name on the list. I was amused to learn that, despite his anti-drug messages (and all around self-righteousness) in Okie from Muskogee, Merle
smoked a joint before every single performance right up until very recently when he kicked the habit.

• Members

Put my name on the list. I was amused to learn that, despite his anti-drug messages (and all around self-righteousness) in Okie from Muskogee, Merle

smoked a joint before every single performance right up until very recently when he kicked the habit.

This is true. A complex guy, not a redneck. More like a freewheeling I'm going to do it my way rebel to the establishment. Wrote some great prison songs too.

• Members

If you're runnin' down MerleHaggard, man, you're walkin' on the fightin' side of me.
Merle taught me a lot. Got into him not thru his popular stuff, but through the Jimmy Rodgers retrospective album. For those that typed him as a troglodite in the early 70's and put him on ignore, he's had a great career that shows how an artist can really evolve. He really took JR's Jazz side to heart and that influenced his song writing and set him on course to do the Bob Wills recording with the original Texas Playboys. That album did a lot to spur the rennaiscance of Western Swing and validate it to a large audiance. We owe him a lot for that. I have a lot of respect that this also inspired him to pick up the fiddle rather late in life, and become very good at it.
As for favorites, I'll skip the ones on everybody's top ten and go down to "Got a Letter From My Kid Today" and "If We Make It Through December". I guess they're both about being in a bad situation, but you take your licks, knuckle down and keep on swinging. Great lyricist.

• Members

Merle is IMHO right up there with Hank Williams as a country songwriter! His songs are incredibly rich and moving. If you haven't checked out the back catalog, you're in for a treat!

I am thrilled to learn that he beat cancer. It was a dark day when I discovered that he had lung cancer-- :cry: I thought immediately of Warren Zevon's death from the same disease, and I feared that that was it for Merle. Only a few weeks ago he announced on his website that he's coming back!

:thu:

• Members
Merle is IMHO right up there with Hank Williams as a country songwriter! His songs are incredibly rich and moving. If you haven't checked out the back catalog, you're in for a treat!

I am thrilled to learn that he beat cancer. It was a dark day when I discovered that he had lung cancer--
:cry:
I thought immediately of Warren Zevon's death from the same disease, and I feared that that was it for Merle. Only a few weeks ago he announced on his website that he's coming back!

:thu:

Hey, lung cancer, prison, weed, alcohol, 4 wives - nothing to hold him back now at 72!

• Members

I don't know much about Merle, but one of his former guitar players is Redd Volkaert, and I guaran-damn-tee that you have never heard someone tear up a Telecaster like Redd can. Unbelieveable player, regardless of your genre allegiences.

Redd came after Joe Manual. Now Joe lives here in Lampasas and is back playing with Merle as well as George Strait. Joe is one fine Tele player too.

Archived