Best Acoustic-Electric Guitars with Best Low Action

stay7

• Members

Hi, it's my first thread on HC. I am looking to buy an acoustic-electric guitar that has low action for less than $1000. Any suggestions or advise would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!

• Members

That all depends on the setup. I have seen many Taylors that had great setup from the factory. If you want a more budget guitar, Ibanez guitars typically have nice factory setups these days, but if you want a great setup, there are plenty of top-notch setup people around. Here in Columbus, Ohio, we have Bill Foley (German Village Music Haus). http://www.gvmh.com

Bill does work for Eric Clapton, among others.

• Members

I would ask you what type of player you are? strummer or fingerstyle? they require different setups.. for strumming or heavy strumming very low action on an acoustic guitar will cause buzzing and on some guitars wont drive the top hard enough.. for fingerstyle the lower the better.. for average players somewhere in between... as stated most good guitars can be setup to your liking by a good tech. go play a bunch and see which feel, fit and sound the best then take it to a good tech. Its money well spent....

• Members

Try the Parkwood pw370 if you like to pick (finger or not) and move quickly around the neck. It also has wonderful tone and resonance. Not for heavy strumming, though. The headroom is at 7 or 8 out of 10. What are you looking for, besides low action?

• Members

Action is adjustable.

You need to visit some stores and find a guitar the SOUNDS good to you. You can have the action lowered once you find the best sounding guitar.

+1!

Any respectable luthier or guitar tech can set the action correctly on a decent guitar, and he/she shouldn't charge you much to do it, in fact, a setup might be included in the price of a new guitar, depending on where you buy it.

Focus on finding a guitar with a neck profile that you like, a body shape that you like, and that sounds good to you. Then have a good luthier or tech set it up for that good low action, if that's what you want. :thu:

Be advised that a "good low action" can feel mighty good, but if you play it hard, the strings are likely gonna buzz a little.

• Members

Well, when I went looking for an acoustic/electric guitar in that price range, these were the two best that I found (new) for under a thousand dollars:

http://www.alvarezgtr.com/prod_page.php?SeriesID=1&ItemID=118

http://www.takamine.com/?fa=detail&mid=130&sid=62

The Alvarez was $800 in a local store, and the Tak was just over $800 at a local GC. That one probably had some minor dings on it. Keep in mind that a cedar top can get beat up pretty easily, especially when there is no pickguard.

You should also note that you can shop used and get really good deals on used acoustic electrics. I found a Tak GB7C, which is essentially a EAN10c with a rosewood back and sides, for $420 (they list for about $1300). However, it was VERY well used and had quite a few dings on the top. And for a spruce topped guitar, I found a deal on a Yamaha LLX6. That one I had intended to send back, but haven't gotten around to it, yet. And it's starting to grow on me, especially after I tried recording some stuff with it. I now believe that it might even sound nicer than the Alvarez MD90C and sells for only $599 brand new. (I found a scratch and dent one for around $500.) However, it doesn't have any built in controls for the preamp. And, plugged in, the Alvarez may have the edge. The electronics package in it are only "so-so."

• Members

I do my own actions and have learned to do so after restoring an old Yamaha fg 401a.

It was a total wreck but I got it up and running and a friend is actually gigging with it now.

Whats the moral of this story? Guitars don't come form fitted and take some time to play in and mellow and a lot has to do with how it's made and playing style, preference, all that dookie.

I never ,ever had an instrument that played off the shelf with out adjusting it to my tastes and I am my own guitar tech.

That's just the way it is , for me anyhow.;)

• Members

yup - you can get a low action by getting your guitar set up by a luthier. However - the quality of of the fret job and especially neck angle will dictate just how low ( plus of course your playing style ). Find a guitar you like the sound of, check the above ( or get the resident tech to do it ) .... and if everything is ok buy it ( without concern for the headstock name ) :thu:

• Members

I have to say, oftentimes the acoustics with the lowest action have it at the expense of the tone, I like mine in the middle and just get used to playing with slightly higher action.

• Members

I have to say, oftentimes the acoustics with the lowest action have it at the expense of the tone, I like mine in the middle and just get used to playing with slightly higher action.

This is true, low action can reduce tone. One of my highest action guitars gives me the best tone.

Archived