Annoying vibration in my tuning pegs/machines

zygoat

• Members

I have a Martin HD28V, and I notice that when I play the G string unfretted, a few of the tuning machines vibrate and make this annoying sound. Everything seems to be tightened up as far as screws go.

When I position a capo on the headstock it goes away, mostly.

Any tips to fix this? I really don't want to spend lots of money taking it to a tech but I might have to.

• Members

Have you changed your strings lately? If so, is this when you first noticed the problem?

Try this......loosen the strings, one at a time, pull the bridge pin, reseat the string and bridge pin, then tune it to pitch. Let us know what happens.

Like the man said; you got sumpin hittin' against sumpin' and that ain't s'pose to happen with a Martin!

I'm thinking that the sound you're hearing, that you think is coming from the headstock, is actually originating back at the bridge due to an improperly seated ball end on one or more strings. Your capo may just be dampening the sound. It's an acoustic instrument. Sound and vibration travels throughout.

• Members

I noticed it right off the bat when the guy sent it to me, I bought it second hand. The strings are still pretty fresh, but it sounds like a good idea to go ahead and restring it. The thing was in as-new condition so I'm thinking you're right about the ball ends maybe not being seated correctly. I'll give that a shot, thanks!

Archived