good mandolin?

Jimihendrix55

• Members

A few weeks ago, I had a similar question myself. Here's my thread:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2340359

As with most instruments, you'll get more bang for your buck if you buy something used. And with mandolins, you'll get a better instrument for the money if you buy an A-style. F-style mandolins look cooler, but the extra work involved in making the curlicue drives up the price and has no affect on sound. You might want to check out Mandolin Cafe, as jamesp suggested. They've got quite a few threads about good starter mandolins and they're helpful folks.

From what I've read, a lot of the PacRim stuff (Michael Kelly, Epiphone, Morgan Monroe, etc.) is hit or miss and you either end up with a good instrument or a lemon. Eastman has a pretty good QC department and I'd say that they're probably one of the best PacRims for the money.

Here's the mandolin I ended up buying:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2349790

They're tough to find, but Mid Missouri/Big Muddy (same company, different name) mandolins will give you the best instrument for the money. They're handmade by a small group of guys in Missouri and they're made of all solid woods. They're not much to look at---no fancy inlays or glossy finishes---but they're quality instruments for the money.

As far as pickups, you're probably better off buying an after-market one and either installing it yourself or having a luthier or guitar tech do it.

EDIT: Btw, I really love my MidMo M-2. It's got a great sound and it doesn't feel like a cheap piece of junk either. I'd definitely recommend it!

• Members

+1 on the Big Muddy. I've had their little one, the MM-8, for about a year and a half. Fun little firecracker, but I had some intonation issues (new to mando, took me a while to notice). I ended up sending back to the builder, who fixed a couple of things and sent it right back. If you want to support a company that's in the USA and run by somebody who gives a damn...

• Members

I just became interested in learning the mandolin as well I got my local music store to order me a Kentucky 150S, which is the lowest priced Kentucky with all solid woods. I have heard good reviews, and I can't wait to pick it up! It doesn't have a pickup, but I'm assuming you could get one installed. Let me know what you end up picking out!

• Members

Look at the same things you'd look for in a decent guitar. Solid woods, good build. If you aren't hung up on the Gibson designs, the Mid-Mo's and the old "Army-Navy" style Flatirons are great mandos for the money. While I don't agree that the "curlicues" add nothing to the sound, that's basically true in your price range. What I'd look for in a standard A-model would be 1) Solid top. 2) Solid Carved top. 3) All solid carved woods. I think you can find excellent mandos at good prices, especially if you go used. I have a Michael Kelly that's very nice, and the Morgan Monroes I've seen are good. Eastman's seem to be a step above them though. If electronics are an issue, I have a Fender FM62SCE. They have onboard Vol/Tone controls, which is handy, and a good unplugged sound. The Ovations are a little dumpy acousticly, won't hang in a jam with the Martins and Mastertones, but are pleasant to play and sound great plugged in They need ball end strings though, not standard. PIA. And if you run across a Tacoma, they're well worth considering. So Mando up, come run with the Dawgs.

• Members

Speaking of "Dawgs,"

I've got a mix of five Golden Gate and five Dawg mando picks that I'd happily send to any new mandolin pickers.

PM me an address and I'll put 'em in the mail next week.

"Pick it like you mean it."