What ever happened to S&H Green Stamps?

RogueGnome

• Members

They're gone, along with the days when someone used to pump your gas and clean your windows.

They still do that in Oregon....yeah, I jumped out of my car grabbed the pump, and an irritated guy yells out.....HEY! what do you think you are doing?

• Members

They still do that in Oregon....yeah, I jumped out of my car grabbed the pump, and an irritated guy yells out.....HEY! what do you think you are doing?

LOL. I made that same mistake on a recent trip to Portland. Guy says "Lady, you can't pump your own gas" and I gave him WTF look.

Then he spotted my Louisiana car tags and explained.

• Members

Sperry and Hutchinson. Yep, redeemd many books for a lot of crap, mostly. Way back my Pop would bring home 20 books worth or so with each trip he'd take. I remember the redemption center store was a quagmire of shelves and walls loaded with really cheap stuff. Croquet set with mallets that fell apart. Lot's of framed prints of things like Blue Boy and Pinky. Yep, we had them hanging in the hallway.

• Members

That's the way I remember it too, Melodeous. Sort of the way the Goodwill store here looks today only much smaller, but with the same marketing flare. I was wearing my Buster Browns in those days, trying to find something of value. I think our family got an Igloo cooler or a Thermos there once. Kind of fuzzy memories at this point.

• Members

We used to also have Blue Chip stamps in So. Cal. I remember going to their redemption center many a time. But my memories were of redeeming a bunch of books for cash. We had it a little rough at one time. And you didn't get much either. I think it might have been $5.00 for 10 or 20 books. But hey, it bought gas for my dad to get back and forth to work or it was a few groceries for a day or two. Something to make it till the next payday.

• Members

I got my first stereo record player, the kind that folded up into a suitcase like shape, with S&H Green stamps. And the first LP I bought with my own money was the Beatles White Album. I still remember it like it was.......40 years ago.
:)

:thu:

I got my very first transistor radio....a state of the art radio that featured both AM and FM stations and came with a earplug! :D

• Members

Oh! oh! Next tell us what it was like during the Wilson administration! And Where were you when you heard McKinley was shot?
:p

In 1977 I started working (at age 13) for an 80-something year old farmer.

He was telling me that one day, when he was a boy, he was working in the field with his father when some guy rode up on a horse at a full gallop shouting that McKinley had been shot.

I might not have been around for it, but I knew someone that was..........

• Members

In 1977 I started working (at age 13) for an 80-something year old farmer.

He was telling me that one day, when he was a boy, he was working in the field with his father when some guy rode up on a horse at a full gallop shouting that McKinley had been shot.

I might not have been around for it, but I knew someone that was..........

My grandfather (b. 1891) told me that when he was a very young child, he knew a man who was over 100 years who went to his village church. Thus I knew someone who knew someone who was alive when George Washington was president.

• Members

My grandfather (b. 1891) told me that when he was a very young child, he knew a man who was over 100 years who went to his village church. Thus I knew someone who knew someone who was alive when George Washington was president.

That's actually pretty cool.

:thu:

• Members

I remember S&H Green Stamps and all the cool things one could buy with them.

Realizing that I'm old enough to remember them is kinda like getting a bi**h slap from time....LOL

Like whenever we had to use a church key to open beers:lol:

My kids look at like I'm gone stupid when I talk about that.

Archived