How to hang guitars without wall hangers

Etienne Rambert

• Members

I needed space in my music room/bedroom. 4 guitars on stands were taking up too much

floor space. So I started looking for a solution.

Voila! I have bars on the insides of my windows. There is about 3"-4" space between the window and the bar.

That's just enough for me to jam the top of my guitar stand tight between the window and the steel bar.

Here is what I came up with.

hanging_guitars.jpg

The weight of the guitar pushes the

top of the stand against the bar. Thus, insuring it won't fall.

hanging_guitars2.jpg

hanging_guitars3.jpg

It's a pretty neat solution to my floor space problem.

• Members

rhancox: "Any direct sunlight ever come through those windows That wouldn't be good, even with those curtains."

roughtrade: "Direct sunlight and people being able to see your guitars would bother me."

Good thoughts. But I have neither.

I don't have direct sunlight because when I moved in, I had the landlord put opaque adhesive covering over every window. I thought the light was too bright.

Because of that, I can't see out and nobody can see in. Yet sunlight still gets through. I keep the curtains drawn most of the time anyway.

These guitar stands have a plastic or rubber lip at the top. And they have a cross-bar that folds in the middle. I've been able to situate it so that the rubber lip is jammed over the top of one steel bar and the crossbar is resting on a lower steel bar. The weight of the guitar reinforces both.

Brilliant. I got to say. But it only works with steel bars INSIDE your windows, spaced certain distances apart.

• Members

You're correct. It's best to err on the side of caution.

I'll tie the top of each stand to one of the steel bars above it.

I don't think it's necessary. And it may even be counter-productive in terms of the physics.

The physics of it are:

1. The weight of the guitar pulls the cross piece of the stand away from the steel window bar it's wedged on - away from the window.

2. The force from the cross piece pushing away from the window pushes the top in the opposite direction -

toward the window, over the steel bar it's already wedged against.

Cross piece of guitar stand --->Pushes out - slightly in the direction away from the steel bars and window. This force causes

the top of the guitar stand to push inward, wedging even further over the steel bar, toward the window.

Top of guitar stand Force =

Cross piece of guitar stand force = -----> from weight of guitar.

The physics are pretty good. I'm impressed. All I had to do was securely wedge the top of the guitar stand over a steel bar.

I'll tie the top of the stand from above just in case though. I'm not against building in redundancy.

hanging_guitars2.jpg

You can see here the low intensity of the sunlight & the spacing of

the steel bars inside the window. Nobody outside can see a thing -

even standing 3 feet away. I know. I checked.

• Members

Thanks.

She's the one to the right of the lady. (on the lady's left-hand side).

She is an awesome guitar. The Cambodian Rosewood and Cedar sound magnificent.

I'm set up for recording now. But I'm overloaded with work. I'll make a sound

clip with the LR Baggs, without & with them mixed.

Pretty damned impressive.

That's why I'm unsure if I'm bringing the Guild D-60 over here.

I already have a great-sounding Rosewood, the Grey Goose.

The arch top has dead strings too. It's time to make a sound clip

of it with dead strings to show y'all what a true monster it is.

It fears no arch top in terms of sheer acoustic volume. Bring it on

Gibson, Guild, D'Benedetto. As far as volume goes - this thing

will drown y'all out.

Godin 5th Avenue? What a poser!

• Members

Sam, Bars inside the window are a good thing for hanging guitars.

You need good guitar stands though.

I'll probably keep the F-65ce here again another year. I need

a Maple in my arsenal. It would be nice to travel for once without

the hassle of bring a guitar. So I may not bring any back.

Too bad you're not in Louisiana. I'll be eating at Crawfish Town in

Breaux Bridge for sure. And I'll be passing through Alex again.

• Members

Though I think I understand I'd like to see the solution sans the drapes to see how they actually fit.

The main thing to consider is the film. Just because it blocks visible light and hides the view does not mean it blocks damaging radiation and heat, something the curtains aren't going to help with either. If the film is reflective on the back side you're probably good to go. Any way to get the material's reflective specs?

• Members

daklander:

"Though I think I understand I'd like to see the solution sans the drapes to see how they actually fit."

I've been thinking about putting the guitar stands completely inside the drapes.

That means they would be behind the curtains - protruding out. I'd have to rest my guitars on that.

Guitars would be outside the curtains. Stands would be inside the curtains, fastened to the bars.

But in doing it that way - I might get an even more stable mounting of the

stands. I'm going to check that out in the next few days.

As you can see, the guitars stands (including the top & the cross-piece), are

all outside the curtains.

One thing is for sure, this has cleared up a lot of clutter and floor space in my bed room/music room.

I like it.

• Members

I checked it today again. The top of the stand is not only reinforced by physics, now it's reinforced with nylon twine too inside the window.

These things aren't going anywhere. The biggest danger would be a bump that caused a guitar to fall forward or sideways. Falling forward is unlikely since they're leaning backwards. A bump causing a guitar to fall sideways is a possibility. But I think it's very remote. Any bump at all is unlikely because people can't walk in the areas where they are hung. There's no room. Now if I had a cat or a pet monkey - watch out.

I have bumped my head twice on the Guild stand though, getting out of bed. It didn't move.

The guitar stands themselves - ain't going anywhere. They ain't even gonna move. Guaranteed.

hanging_guitars.jpg

Archived