Conn guitars

thedevilisbad

• Members

My sister managed to get a Conn guitar for free. I no very little about guitars and just started learning today (my G7 and C chords). What do you know about these guitars? How can I tell what model it is?

Is this decent guitar?

When I took it out of the case it looked brand new. The previous owner bought it new and played it twice. What a deal!

Can you guys tell me the model if I post a picture?

• Members

Not too many people would be familiar with Conn guitars since this company was known as a supplier of student grade band instruments, things like trumpets and trombones. Your sister's Conn guitar is most likely a student grade instrument which was used in a school music program. Hey, it was free, so the price is right. By student grade I mean that it was an inexpensive guitar, and it was probably made by another company, for Conn. As longs as it's in playable condition it would be fine for learning. If the action (i.e. string height) is very high however it would be a discouragement. If you know someone who knows how to play ask them to change the strings and give you an opinion.

• Members

I bought a Conn acoustic back in 1983 or 84,but it was a great little guitar. It held up great for me,I wanted a Martin,but I made a litle more then minimum wage back then. It was a full size guitar and it held medium gauage strings on there. It fell over once,busted the neck in half,had it fixed by a luither,it played even better. The tuners were crap,and was worthless. I wish I knew then what I know now,Iwould've put top notch tuners and a bone saddle. It was a great guitar for $160.00. I wish I still had it for sentimental reasons,it was loud too.

Enjoy,and take good care of it.

• 3 years later...
  • Members

Wow... I kinda forgot I had posted this up here...

Thanks for the replys. I looked this up again online because I decided to restring the guitar after it sat for a while (bought an Ovation). It' s a very pretty sounding guitar but I have no clue what the model number is. Here are some pictures:

conn1.JPG

conn4.JPG

conn5.JPG

Thanks for all the help!

• Members

Conn came out with a line of guitars back in the early 1970's. They were made by Aria and were fairly popular at the time. The music store in my hometown carried two different Conn classical models, one for $60 and the other for $100, and this is probably one of those. Don't recall the model numbers though.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 8 years later...
  • Members
I have an 70s conn guitar dark wood gold string adjusters gold round symble under conn natural wood I would like more info if possible thx.

Hi and welcome to the Forum. We'll help if we can but more info would help. What kind of strings does it have? Steel? Nylon? Does it have a model number? Can you provide pics?

• Members
Hi thx it has steel strings it's hard it c the numbers tags are the but warn out

That's a classical guitar, designed for nylon strings. It shouldn't have steel strings on it, they're not good for it. This site should have all the information you need: https://theguitarmedic.sharepoint.com/Pages/ConnClassicalGuitars.aspx. Let us know what you find.

• Like 1

• Members
Hey thx for info' date='sight was very helpful.so far it's a c-31 deluxe gold with butterfly string adjusters [/quote']

Glad to help. Enjoy your guitar and, if it does have steel strings on it as opposed to nylon strings wound with some metal like bronze, replace them ASAP. Your guitar will thank you. BTW, the "string adjusters" are called "tuners." You might as well learn the correct terms.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Howdy all, just joined and this is my first post. I  had to respond to this thread, I have a very nice early 70s conn dread with very nice mop neck inlays, made in japan she is a tank has no neck angle issues and sings. I have a few jap yamahas and this sounds better than any. I could post a picture on here if anybody cares to take a look at it. I guess this was one of their high-end models? and not a student model, I really think it's a quality instrument.

• Members
18 hours ago, Jarry Gercia said:

Howdy all, just joined and this is my first post. I  had to respond to this thread, I have a very nice early 70s conn dread with very nice mop neck inlays, made in japan she is a tank has no neck angle issues and sings. I have a few jap yamahas and this sounds better than any. I could post a picture on here if anybody cares to take a look at it. I guess this was one of their high-end models? and not a student model, I really think it's a quality instrument.

Hello and welcome.

Sure, let's have some pics. It's always nice to see a good old vintage guitar.

• Members
On 2/20/2020 at 7:20 PM, Jarry Gercia said:

Hi and welcome to the Forums. Does yours have maple back and sides like this one?

Conn_F-20.jpg.f0f0426ac728708328c752de60f2bfa1.jpg

I almost bought one like it years ago. It was a factory second (there was a blemish on the neck heel) and had been rented to a student and then returned. The music store in my home town was selling it for half the price of a new, perfect guitar and I almost bit. BTW, "jap" is considered offensive. "MIJ" is preferable.

• Members

Thanks for the warm welcome . I'm really busy this weekend  so I'll try to post all, just joined and this is my first post. I  had to respond to this thread, I have a very nice early 70s conn dread with very nice mop neck inlays, made in japan she is a tank has no neck angle issues and sings. I have a few jap yamahas and this sounds better than any. I could post a picture on here if anybody cares to take a look at it. I guess this was one of their high-end models? and not a student model, I really think it's a quality instrument.

Thanks for the welcomes. I'll post some pics as soon as I can. I in no way intended to offend anybody I just abbreviated the country of origin. I apologize if anybody was offended. Mine is solid Rosewood back and sides pretty sure it's Sitka Spruce top not sure but I doubt Adirondack. This guitar is one of my best sounding guitars Dare I say D28 ish. There I go, hopefully not offending more people. The intonation on it is perfect I can't say the same of the Martin I own.

• Members
8 hours ago, Jarry Gercia said:

I really dig this guitar and wouldn't part with it. I may upgrade the nut and saddle but she sings so nice as is.

I recall the saddles on those Conn guitars being brittle, chipped saddles were fairly common on brand new instruments. Yours doesn't appear to be suffering from that particular malady but a bone or TUSQ saddle might not be a bad idea. Easy enough to install.