Silver Creek T-170

in_rainbows

• Members

If you are even vaguely in the market for an all solid OM style guitar, DO IT! You have 45 days to send it back if you don't like it. Just figure on getting a luthier to do some setup work on it. It'll need it. An all solid wood guitar that is reasonably good quality for $180? That's a no-brainer.

I already have two Silver Creek guitars or else I'd be ordering one too.

• Members

If you are even vaguely in the market for an all solid OM style guitar, DO IT! You have 45 days to send it back if you don't like it. Just figure on getting a luthier to do some setup work on it. It'll need it. An all solid wood guitar that is reasonably good quality for $180? That's a no-brainer.

I already have two Silver Creek guitars or else I'd be ordering one too.

How are the necks? I heard they were on the thick side...

• Members

I think this deal is a no-brainer if you want a wide-nut OM bargain. Even if you don't get used to the neck, you can return it within 45 days or probably sell it for more than you paid.

It's basically equivalent to a Johnson / Recording King that usually sells for $400-500.

• Members

I've got both the T-170 and the D-170 and they are my regular go to guitars. It will need a setup for sure...they are not set up at the factory though the two I got were playable. Just make sure to have it done within the 45 day return window so if the luthier finds a problem you can exchange/return it.

:)

• Members

I had a T160 for awhile. The neck is beefy, but managable--nice wide string spacing. The body is not as deep as a typical OM's so it got a pretty nasally and compressed when using a flatpicking/strumming. Don't know if that is typical.

Good fingerstyle guitar--excellent, actually. Construction was good, not great and the finish was super heavy poly (may account for some of the tone issues when picked). However, a good value at full price and a "Stupid Deal" at that price. :thu:

• Members

This guitar streets for $400, but has been available for $240-$260 on numerous occasions in the past. $200 is obviously a good deal from that perspective, but not a good enough deal to buy first and ask questions later.

Quality control on this is really poor. The BEST ones usually require a truss rod adjustment. The lousier ones will need to bridge adjustment and some even require releveling the frets. Some are just beyond hope. Luck of the draw.

If you get a good one, once you have it set up it sounds pretty good, especially for the money. As noted above, these are rebadged Johnson guitars and the neck is pretty wide. Some will like that, others won't.

If you're looking for a guitar like this, and you don't want to pay Martin prices or whatever, this is a nice compromise that--if you're lucky--might be a winner for you.

Archived