Aria 12-String

Gary Blanchard

• Members

I played one back in the early '80s. It belonged to a friend and I remember it as having a nice balance without too much emphasis on the basses. I had a Tak 12-er at the time that was bassier than my friend's Aria.

If you're looking at a used one, the usual caveats apply, mainly with regard to the neck angle. If you can try before you buy, be sure to take a straight-edge and check the angle. Neck resets are expensive.

• Members

Thanks. I've been playing for over 40 years so I have an idea what to look for. The Aria name is ringing a bell, but at my age I can't tell where the ringing is coming from. Anyway, this one is a Trojan Horse. Once my wife hears how nice a twelve-string can sound it is only a matter of time before I convince her i need to upgrade. :lol:

• Members

Well, I'm picking this up tonight. The price is great and it will allow me to decide if a 12-string is a real want or a spur-of-the moment want that I'll soon get over. To make it better, I got a $20.00 gift coupon in the mail from Musicians Friend and, by adding $2 and change to it, am getting a set of strings and three of the Alaska picks that I like to use. (I own one and live in fear of losing it.) Not at all bad, I must say. :thu:

• Members

Well, I'm picking this up tonight. The price is great and it will allow me to decide if a 12-string is a real want or a spur-of-the moment want that I'll soon get over. To make it better, I got a $20.00 gift coupon in the mail from Musicians Friend and, by adding $2 and change to it, am getting a set of strings and three of the Alaska picks that I like to use. (I own one and live in fear of losing it.) Not at all bad, I must say.
:thu:

Sounds like a sweet deal. :thu:

I saw this post yesterday and I was surprised no one chimed in with more info. Aria guitars have been around for years...probably close to 40 years or more. They first had factories in Japan (Matsamuko?) and in the 1970's made good copies of USA electric guitars and a few pretty good acoustic guitar copies of american designs as well. I know someone who has an Aria copy of the Gibson Dove and it's pretty nice. I see now that they still make some pretty nice looking acoustics.

Here are some images I found on their USA website: http://www.ariausa.com/index.html

Aria%20AD-150.jpg

Aria%20AD-80.jpg

Aria%20AD-28.jpg

Aria%20AP%20STD%20II.jpg

Aria%20AP-DLX.jpg

Aria%20A19C-200S.jpg

• Members

They look like nice guitars. I'm pretty excited since I haven't owned a 12-string since about 1970.
I have a bunch of songs that I am currently performing that I think will sound great with twelve string.
Nice to know the brand has some history.

I'd like to get a 12 string one day. I tried out an inexpensive Epiphone one a few weeks back and it wasn't too bad. I don't know if I would buy that particular model but for the price I was impressed. I too have some songs I play that I think would sound nice on a 12 string and I could always learn some more. ;)

Please let us know when you get it and give us a review.

• Members

A lot depends on when the guitar was made. If it is Japanese production from the 70's it's likely a beginner or intermediate level guitar with laminated construction.

I have a Conn F-30 copy of a Martin D12-28 made in '73 by the Arai(aka Aria)/Matsumoku joint venture. It is all laminated construction, though the sound hole is feathered, making it difficult to see the laminations and the B&S are EIR inside and out, but a peek in the end pin hole confirms laminated construction. Other specifics are zero fret, adjustable truss rod, adjustable bridge and bolt on neck.

Conn12string002.jpg

This has been a great guitar all the time I have owned it, having a very pleasing, balanced tone. I think the Japanese have a good understanding of what it takes to make a good sounding laminated wood guitar.

In the last couple of years I played it, I installed a JLD Bridge Doctor to counter excessive bellying at the bridge. Eventually it was time for a neck reset, which I figured would be easy with the bolt on neck, but the luthier told me that in addition to the bolt, there were a couple of dowel pins glued into the joint which complicated things. Alas, the cost of a reset was double that of the guitar so................

Anyway, I still have the guitar, though it is unstrung; otherwise I would try to post a clip for you.

I have considered converting it to a reso 12.

Good luck.

Clif

• Members

Well, it is Japanese made, model # is HFA with 694 stamped partially over it and the serial # is 280. It has an adjustable truss rod and will need a little adjustment. I will follow advice froman old Pete Seeger book and tune it to D when I restring it and capo it on the 2nd fret. I have some Ernie Ball Earthwood silk and steel strings coming so I will do all that when the strings arrive. Since I paid next to nothing for it I am pretty happy. :lol:

• Members

Well, it is Japanese made, model # is HFA with 694 stamped partially over it and the serial # is 280. It has an adjustable truss rod and will need a little adjustment. I will follow advice froman old Pete Seeger book and tune it to D when I restring it and capo it on the 2nd fret. I have some Ernie Ball Earthwood silk and steel strings coming so I will do all that when the strings arrive. Since I paid next to nothing for it I am pretty happy.
:lol:

Wow! Congrats! I would also tune it down to D as well and use the capo. Glad you are happy with it. :thu:

Archived