Yamaha: Red Label, Black Label, Orange Label?

Stackabones

• Members

The label colors are Country; Red-Japan, Black and gold Japan one year, China others, The Leather lables mean handmade but can be from Tiawan, Japan..... Kinda confusing but fun.

If you get one with a Gold Label Mr Wonka gives you the factory if you don't eat the Snozberries. :poke: 0.o

• Members

dunno .... but I do know Bushmills Whiskey Black Label is the 10 year old single malt
;)
- plus, if you drink enough of it, you won't care what colour the label is in your guitar
:facepalm:

Is it more proper to match the Yamaha black label with the Bushmill's black label? Or may one mix the label/whiskey colors without fear of terrible retribution the morning after?

• Members

From what I understand... yes, yes, and yes. To me it's an Ebay thing. "Rare", "collectable", "few made".... Blah, blah, blah.

The appreciation for early Yamahas pre-dated Ebay. Red Label, all-laminate Yamahas (eg, FG180) can be exceptional-sounding guitars. They made a lot but they don't appear as frequently as you'd think. I imagine thousands are propped-up in corners somewhere, decorating a room, unloved and unplayed. People seem to hang onto them.

• Members

dunno .... but I do know Bushmills Whiskey Black Label is the 10 year old single malt
;)
- plus, if you drink enough of it, you won't care what colour the label is in your guitar
:facepalm:

'The smoker you drink, the player you get'?

• Members

from the info I have seen the original two FGs were light green labels, the mid `60s FG-150 and 180. If you go back even further, before the FGs you`ll find other Yamaha Dynamic labels, which also went through several changes before going out of production once the FGs came into being. Honestly, shops have all kinds of red labels around here but I`ve never been tempted...the Dynamics on the other hand always get a second look. The only FGs I really want now cost thousands of dollars, I`m a few years too late on those.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Originally Posted by Yamaha Junkie

The label colors are Country; Red-Japan, Black and gold Japan one year, China others, The Leather lables mean handmade but can be from Tiawan, Japan..... Kinda confusing but fun.

If you get one with a Gold Label Mr Wonka gives you the factory if you don't eat the Snozberries. 0.o

guess i win the factory, eh? i got an old yamaha no 150 nippon gakki classical with a gold label, and i was looking for some info on it.

• Members

guess i win the factory, eh? i got an old yamaha no 150 nippon gakki classical with a gold label, and i was looking for some info on it.

take a number eh...if it`s like my No. 150s it has a white label...which can be creamish due to the years... with gold trim? The ones I have are listed as solid Palisander back and sides, solid Ezo spruce top. From what I`ve read they were made in the early `60s and ended when they introduced their first true classicals made with a little help from their Spanish friends in the mid `60s. I have a bunch of old Yamaha Dynamics too going back to the early `50s and recent info points to Suzuki and/or Tenryu having a hand in building those since Yamaha didn`t have their own guitar factory yet, but data is not carved in stone, there are still plenty of question marks about those years, but slowly more and more stuff is uncovered by the members at the Dynamic web site.

Heres a link to the catalog featuring the No. 150...in Japanese of course...my wife tells me it`s basically a sales pitch extolling the qualities of the guitar and on the right they list the ingredients. I`ve printed out all the catalogs on the Dynamics at that link `cause they`re very hard to find. Mine sound great, the 100s were solid maple...the 120s were mahogany...and in the Japan Vintage series of books with the extensive article with pics they say the No. 100 was their top end and built by the most experienced luthiers at the time...the No. 150 sold for 2 months wages in it`s day...not cheap by any definition...I like mine a lot and one of them is in near mint condition.

http://oldguitar.jp/catalog/yamaha/ETC/YAMAHA%20GUITAR%20UKULELE(66.11)_0002.jpg

shibata5241-img600x450-1163504377gu.jpg

Archived