Seasoned Martin D-35 vs. '06 Stanford PSD-28 Comparison Video

rhythmguitar28

• Members

2 all-solid Sitka-EIR dreadnaught body guitars. A '74 Martin D-35 and an '06 Stanford PSD-28 (I paid $600 for mine). The Martin is borrowed from a friend and in very good shape for the year BTW. Both have identical light (12s) strings newly installed. D-35 vs PSD-28. This is a better link if it works (better audio quality). http://virb.com/ryanl/videos/4605038.

The Martin is first in each comparison. Guitars were both tuned a half step below pitch (440), the standard tuning I generally use on my guitars. I may also add another clip to this thread with both tuned to 440.

EDIT: Here's another clip I added with both guitars tuned to standard pitch. I also moved the mic back another foot. This recording is less bass heavy and the strings are not as bright......http://virb.com/ryanl/videos/4640802

Thoughts?

• Members

Thanks for posting this. It would be better for the listener if you play each guitar for longer though.

It is easier to hear the differences on a slightly longer piece of music.

From what I could hear though, the Martin has a bit more depth to it, but the Stanford sounds very nice too.

• Members

Thanks for posting this. It would be better for the listener if you play each guitar for longer though.

It is easier to hear the differences on a slightly longer piece of music.

From what I could hear though, the Martin has a bit more depth to it, but the Stanford sounds very nice too.

I think the short clips should be more than adequate to make out the differences in tone. I've done longer clips in other comparison videos and intentionally made these very short. I removed the Youtube posting. Even I cant tell anything from that comparison because Youtube audio is so garbled :facepalm:. Often it's useless. The Photo Bucket link I left is much more accurate. If anyone has trouble using that link let me know. This forum unfortunately doesn't support PB embedding.

• Members

Interesting. I'm gonna have to listen in more detail later. The PSD-28 certainly does give the D-35 a run for its money. You wouldn't happen to know what the bracing size is on the PSD-28 though, would you? I'm wondering if it's scalloped 5/8" bracing - and if it is then a comparison with an HD-28V might have been a better comparison. The D-35 has straight 1/4" bracing.

BTW, both guitars sound a little on the bright side because of the new strings. I ie to let them settle in for a couple of days.

• Members

I tend to agree with Slagorourke in terms of clip duration (Longer playing time on each should prove more informative and help iron out any unintentional variation) and tonal response. Both are decent instruments, but I'd expect the Stanford's tone to deepen and draw closer to the response of the D35 as it becomes more played-in over a span of time. Time will tell. ;)

• Members

Interesting. I'm gonna have to listen in more detail later. The PSD-28 certainly does give the D-35 a run for its money. You wouldn't happen to know what the bracing size is on the PSD-28 though, would you? I'm wondering if it's scalloped 5/8" bracing - and if it is then a comparison with an HD-28V might have been a better comparison. The D-35 has straight 1/4" bracing.

BTW, both guitars sound a little on the bright side because of the new strings. I ie to let them settle in for a couple of days.

The PSD-28 has standard (straight)scalloped bracing (ala HD-28) while the D-35 has unscalloped 1/4" bracing. I've actually compared this Stanford to a standard HD-28 and the Martin (that one anyway) was significantly tamer sounding. I know that the moderator on another forum just sold his HD-28 and still has his Bluerdge BR-140 for sale after having his PSD-28 less than a year. I don't know about the HD-28V. Haven't had one in hand to date. The strings were on these 2 guitars about a day when I recorded this. I plan on doing another recording with both tuned up to pitch. I'll post it later. I'm sure the strings have settled in by now, as I put them on 2 or 3 days ago now. BTW these Stanford dreads have a 1-3/4" nut and a soft "V" neck profile. Really dig the necks on them!

• Members

You also have the limiting factors of the mic. Good A-B comparison. Both guitars sounded great. To make the choice I would have to play them both. As a listener, either one works from the sound of the clips. Thanks for spending the time.

• Members

You also have the limiting factors of the mic. Good A-B comparison. Both guitars sounded great. To make the choice I would have to play them both. As a listener, either one works from the sound of the clips. Thanks for spending the time.

I agree on that with recordings. Plus there are so many varying playing styles. Definitely better to play them for yourself, for sake of argument. And you're welcome ;).

• Members

I've actually compared this Stanford to a standard HD-28 and the Martin (that one anyway) was significantly tamer sounding. I know that the moderator on another forum just sold his HD-28 and still has his Bluerdge BR-140 for sale after having his PSD-28 less than a year.

I can attest the PSD-28 can make one consider parting with a guitar like the HD-28. I own both. My Stanford is now played at 3-4 times as often/much as the Martin. I am torn, as I considered the Martin that one "lifetime" guitar. If circumstances dictated that I sell the HD-28, I would find the PSD-28 to be more than adequate consolation.

I also own a Stanford PSOM-10, and it is a wonderful fingerstyle guitar that can handle fairly aggressive strumming if asked.

• Members

I'll jump in on this fun...this is a good test for me. I am going to reply without reading any of the posts. I want to see how my opinion, for lack of a better term, sets up with others' opinions.

The Martin wins, hands down. It was loud and articulate where as the PSD was warmer and muddier. I would say the Martin had better fret work...I thought you played the Martin cleaner. The PSD didn't seem to have a big sound, though I did like it. At times I would almost say the PSD was more balanced where as the Martin was snappier with some pop. Neither guitar was very bright but, the Martin certainly has some shine to it. Loved the Martin.

Hope I didn't burst anyone's bubble.

Time to read the other posts. What to hell...I'm online.:evil:

Edit:; Ooopps. Maybe I'm not a good reviewer.??

• Members

Rhythmguitar, those Speedy Gonzalez comparisons are hysterical. Just when I start listening, bam, another one comes out. I prefer the Martin myself.

Abando

My apologies Abando.....

If you've ever done uploadable videos, they get large very quickly. I was trying to fit as many different short demos into a relatively short clip as possible. I'll make a new one up that's better for comparison purposes and not so seemingly rushed. In fact this one might be a blind (video) test, so that there is no bias for name brand.

• Members

My apologies Abando.....

If you've ever done uploadable videos, they get large very quickly. I was trying to fit as many different short demos into a relatively short clip as possible. I'll make a new one up that's better for comparison purposes and not so seemingly rushed. In fact this one might be a blind (video) test, so that there is no bias for name brand.

Yeah, I couldn't quite understand what you were meaning to accomplish with the rapid fire play and switch other than to possibly illustrate how each guitar responded to different techniques. There didn't seem to be any difference between each passage though and after awhile I lost track and they all started to sound like the same technique. It would have been more helpful if you'd done a variety of different smaller videos with maybe some sort of lead-in on what technique you were going to play. You know: one video for hard strumming, another for flatpicking runs, another for fingerpicking, etc. It'd take a little more time to map that all out and shoot them individually, but you'd get your point across better I think.

• Members

If I *had* to pick, It'd be the Martin, but damn, that Stanford sounds AWEFULLY good for $600!

I find the Martin harder to play. Another factor besides tone (I like the Stanford better tonally) is the playability of the neck. The Martin 1-11/16" has sort of a chunky neck profile. The Stanford soft "V" and 1-3/4" spacing has a smooth feel to it. Not cramped but not overly bulky to get my hand around either. A shame that US retailers are missing the boat on these guitars. If I had a store carrying Bluegrass styled imports these would be at the top of my list.

• Members

I'll make a new one up that's better for comparison purposes and not so seemingly rushed. In fact this one might be a blind (video) test, so that there is no bias for name brand.

If you're doing this comparison again, would you please put some mediums on the Martin?? I'm not sure what the Stanford specs are (could not find them online), but the Martin was meant to be driven with medium gauge strings. If the D-35 sounded thin, it was most likely due to the light strings. Also...some more agressive playing would help. How about some good flatpicking or crosspicking? That test was pretty light strumming for the most part really. On the pieces that did have some picking, there seemed to be a few missed notes so the note separation aspect could not be fully gleaned. And most of the playing was done in open position. Maybe capo on 3, 5, 7, etc., and play some pieces up the neck if you want to see how these guitars really shine...I don't ask for much do I.

• Members

Thanks for the comparison. I appreciate your work to do this. You sure hustled to change guitars!

Changing quickly helps listeners remember the last guitar better. Maybe it also reduces memory bias.

Ya that was the idea. Short and sweet, but I certainly understand comments about the comparisons being too hasty etc..... as well. I'm no expert with these comparison things and a barely an average player as well :eek:. I'm working on a few more clips and better variety and will add them later. Might even just start a new thread when I do. Thanks. I have to say that I like both of these guitars a lot. They both sound very good and different in their contrasting ways. Bracing differences no doubt. Both excellent Bluegrass style dreads in any event!

• Members

Have you had an experienced luthier look at the Stanfords? I'd be curious to see what they say. I'm sure the quality is great, but as others have implied I wonder if one would last 35 years? Certainly not in
my
house!

I haven't personally but some of the guys on the UBGF (Blueridge forum) have had there's looked at by some experienced and well known luthiers and generally they were impressed and even more surprised at the price point. As I think I may have mentioned, Dave sold (actually traded) his beloved HD-28 recently because it's sat in the case since he got a PSD-28 around this time last year. He's fairly experienced with Martin and has an old D-18 that he will never sell. The PSD-28 is basically more like the HD-28 than the D-35 as it has straight scalloped bracing. Tuned up to E I'd say that the D-35 has a little more low end. How long they will last (years) I couldn't say but they seem pretty solidly built. A lot of us agree that if a neck reset needed to be done at some point these are well worth it, unlike a lot of imports out there. Unfortunately the only available PSD-28s in the US at the moment would be used if you can even find one. There's only that 1 retailer in Tennessee and he's out of them til he imports more. I think he has a few other Stanford models left (very few). There are only 100 or so Stanford Performer guitars in the US. That's all that were ever imported to date.

Archived