No announcement yet.

Seasoned Martin D-35 vs. '06 Stanford PSD-28 Comparison Video

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seasoned Martin D-35 vs. '06 Stanford PSD-28 Comparison Video

2 all-solid Sitka-EIR dreadnaught body guitars. A '74 Martin D-35 and an '06 Stanford PSD-28 (I paid $600 for mine). The Martin is borrowed from a friend and in very good shape for the year BTW. Both have identical light (12s) strings newly installed. D-35 vs PSD-28. This is a better link if it works (better audio quality). http://virb.com/ryanl/videos/4605038.

The Martin is first in each comparison. Guitars were both tuned a half step below pitch (440), the standard tuning I generally use on my guitars. I may also add another clip to this thread with both tuned to 440.

EDIT: Here's another clip I added with both guitars tuned to standard pitch. I also moved the mic back another foot. This recording is less bass heavy and the strings are not as bright......http://virb.com/ryanl/videos/4640802

Thoughts?

Thanks for posting this. It would be better for the listener if you play each guitar for longer though.
    It is easier to hear the differences on a slightly longer piece of music.
    From what I could hear though, the Martin has a bit more depth to it, but the Stanford sounds very nice too.
    When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When a million people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Comment

Thanks for posting this. It would be better for the listener if you play each guitar for longer though.
      It is easier to hear the differences on a slightly longer piece of music.
      From what I could hear though, the Martin has a bit more depth to it, but the Stanford sounds very nice too.

I think the short clips should be more than adequate to make out the differences in tone. I've done longer clips in other comparison videos and intentionally made these very short. I removed the Youtube posting. Even I cant tell anything from that comparison because Youtube audio is so garbled . Often it's useless. The Photo Bucket link I left is much more accurate. If anyone has trouble using that link let me know. This forum unfortunately doesn't support PB embedding.

Comment

Interesting. I'm gonna have to listen in more detail later. The PSD-28 certainly does give the D-35 a run for its money. You wouldn't happen to know what the bracing size is on the PSD-28 though, would you? I'm wondering if it's scalloped 5/8" bracing - and if it is then a comparison with an HD-28V might have been a better comparison. The D-35 has straight 1/4" bracing.

BTW, both guitars sound a little on the bright side because of the new strings. I ie to let them settle in for a couple of days.
        Gear:
        2013 Official Luthier's Forum Medium Jumbo (Western red cedar/mahogany)
        2012 McKnight McUke (soprano ukulele, redwood/mahogany)
        2010 Martin D-16GT
        2006 Larrivee OM-03R
        1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster (natural ash finish)
        1989 Kramer Stryker
        197? Epiphone Texan FT-160N

Comment

I tend to agree with Slagorourke in terms of clip duration (Longer playing time on each should prove more informative and help iron out any unintentional variation) and tonal response. Both are decent instruments, but I'd expect the Stanford's tone to deepen and draw closer to the response of the D35 as it becomes more played-in over a span of time. Time will tell.
          IF IT AINT BROKE, DON'T FIX IT.

Comment

I wonder what a seasoned 35 year old Stanford will sound like?

Roger

Comment

Interesting. I'm gonna have to listen in more detail later. The PSD-28 certainly does give the D-35 a run for its money. You wouldn't happen to know what the bracing size is on the PSD-28 though, would you? I'm wondering if it's scalloped 5/8" bracing - and if it is then a comparison with an HD-28V might have been a better comparison. The D-35 has straight 1/4" bracing.

BTW, both guitars sound a little on the bright side because of the new strings. I ie to let them settle in for a couple of days.

The PSD-28 has standard (straight)scalloped bracing (ala HD-28) while the D-35 has unscalloped 1/4" bracing. I've actually compared this Stanford to a standard HD-28 and the Martin (that one anyway) was significantly tamer sounding. I know that the moderator on another forum just sold his HD-28 and still has his Bluerdge BR-140 for sale after having his PSD-28 less than a year. I don't know about the HD-28V. Haven't had one in hand to date. The strings were on these 2 guitars about a day when I recorded this. I plan on doing another recording with both tuned up to pitch. I'll post it later. I'm sure the strings have settled in by now, as I put them on 2 or 3 days ago now. BTW these Stanford dreads have a 1-3/4" nut and a soft "V" neck profile. Really dig the necks on them!

Comment

You also have the limiting factors of the mic. Good A-B comparison. Both guitars sounded great. To make the choice I would have to play them both. As a listener, either one works from the sound of the clips. Thanks for spending the time.

Comment

You also have the limiting factors of the mic. Good A-B comparison. Both guitars sounded great. To make the choice I would have to play them both. As a listener, either one works from the sound of the clips. Thanks for spending the time.

I agree on that with recordings. Plus there are so many varying playing styles. Definitely better to play them for yourself, for sake of argument. And you're welcome .

Comment

I wonder if a Stanford could last 35 years.

Comment

I've actually compared this Stanford to a standard HD-28 and the Martin (that one anyway) was significantly tamer sounding. I know that the moderator on another forum just sold his HD-28 and still has his Bluerdge BR-140 for sale after having his PSD-28 less than a year.

I can attest the PSD-28 can make one consider parting with a guitar like the HD-28. I own both. My Stanford is now played at 3-4 times as often/much as the Martin. I am torn, as I considered the Martin that one "lifetime" guitar. If circumstances dictated that I sell the HD-28, I would find the PSD-28 to be more than adequate consolation.

I also own a Stanford PSOM-10, and it is a wonderful fingerstyle guitar that can handle fairly aggressive strumming if asked.
                      Randy

So many guitars...so little talent.

HCAG Happy Goat Guild

SAWG Society

Comment

I'll jump in on this fun...this is a good test for me. I am going to reply without reading any of the posts. I want to see how my opinion, for lack of a better term, sets up with others' opinions.

The Martin wins, hands down. It was loud and articulate where as the PSD was warmer and muddier. I would say the Martin had better fret work...I thought you played the Martin cleaner. The PSD didn't seem to have a big sound, though I did like it. At times I would almost say the PSD was more balanced where as the Martin was snappier with some pop. Neither guitar was very bright but, the Martin certainly has some shine to it. Loved the Martin.

Hope I didn't burst anyone's bubble.

Time to read the other posts. What to hell...I'm online.

Edit:; Ooopps. Maybe I'm not a good reviewer.??
                        Larrivee OM-03R
                        Alvarez MD60

Comment

OT: I have to say that if those of you who have had good experiences with mail-order only instruments like these Stanfords, then I'm happy for you. I've had a similarly good experience with my Larriv
                          Gear:
                          2013 Official Luthier's Forum Medium Jumbo (Western red cedar/mahogany)
                          2012 McKnight McUke (soprano ukulele, redwood/mahogany)
                          2010 Martin D-16GT
                          2006 Larrivee OM-03R
                          1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster (natural ash finish)
                          1989 Kramer Stryker
                          197? Epiphone Texan FT-160N

Comment

The Martin has more depth to the sound and probably has more character.

Comment

Rhythmguitar, those Speedy Gonzalez comparisons are hysterical. Just when I start listening, bam, another one comes out. I prefer the Martin myself.

Abando

Comment

Working...
                              X