Martin HD-16R LSH

tennisplayer

• Members

Martin dreadnought HD-16R LSH has solid gloss rosewood sides and back, sitka spruce solid top, large sound hole (LSH), herring bone purfurling, 1 3/4 inch at the nut, scalloped hybrid X bracing.

The guitar seems to be a good all around dreadnought because of the wider nut that suits many playing styles. I was wondering how it compares to Martin HD-28 and HD-35 in terms of sounds and playability?

• Members

I'd be curious to hear as well. I haven't come across one yet but generally I'm starting to like the 16 series more and more - mostly because I can't seem to save up the scratch for that HD-35 that's been calling my name for 3 years now!

Get the D16RGT

• Members

Get the D16RGT

Nah - now they have a real hog D-16GT that blows it away. I'm giving myself until Christmas to make a decision. In the meantime we have some home improvement expenses to finance for the short term - hopefully they won't eat my GAS fund. Last time I had money to burn both the furnace and the hot water heater died. :facepalm:

BTW, that shop also has a full-gloss D-16R that's sweet. It's more attainable than the HD-35 and much nicer in appointments than the D-16RGT. If only they had a HD-16R LSH though. Then my GAS would be completely unmanageable! :o

Sorry for the hijack, folks. I'd love to try one and give a report back if I could.

• Members

Martin dreadnought HD-16R LSH has solid gloss rosewood sides and back, sitka spruce solid top, large sound hole (LSH), herring bone purfurling, 1 3/4 inch at the nut, scalloped hybrid X bracing.

The guitar seems to be a good all around dreadnought because of the wider nut that suits many playing styles. I was wondering how it compares to Martin HD-28 and HD-35 in terms of sounds and playability?

I bought a HD-16R LSH in July and I absolutely LOVE it! I liked it much better than the D-28, and a little better than the HD-28 that I compared it to, IIRC. I don't think I played an HD-35, but I was wowed by the 16's amazing low end. Definitely check one out :thu:

• Members

I bought a HD-16R LSH in July and I absolutely LOVE it! I liked it much better than the D-28, and a little better than the HD-28 that I compared it to, IIRC. I don't think I played an HD-35, but I was wowed by the 16's amazing low end. Definitely check one out
:thu:

How does it sound like? :confused:

• Members

How does it sound like?
:confused:

It's quite loud, with great bass response, but still balanced. Very sweet sound. Easy to play, too. I haven't played enough HD-28s or 35s to give you a real comparison, but I highly recommend playing an HD-16R LSH to see if it's the sound you're after.

• Members

Damn. Now I'm really curious about this model. I as just perusing the specs and the bridge/fretboard isn't micarta, it's solid striped ebony. The pics look like a really dark rosewood.

Check one out, Kwak!! :thu: I got mine at Sam Ash in Charlotte, but I bet many large stores would have one. GC in Greensboro didn't, though, FWIW.

My playing style is mostly moderate to heavy strumming to accompany myself singing, and this guitar is well-suited for that. :thu:

• Members

Check one out, Kwak!!
I got mine at Sam Ash in Charlotte, but I bet many large stores would have one. GC in Greensboro didn't, though, FWIW.

My playing style is mostly moderate to heavy strumming to accompany myself singing, and this guitar is well-suited for that.

do you have sound clips please?

• Members

Here's some soundclips of my HD16RLSH I used to own:

Here's one on YouTube:

Hope this helps. It is a GREAT sounding guitar. After a year of ownership, it had opened even more.

Jeff

thanks for your clips, it has very beautiful sound indeed. have you tried any other HD models?

• Members

I've played one, and I thought it sounded great. I really liked the HD-16R Adirondack a little more.

Both awesome guitars.

That HD-16R Adirondack is on my short list for next guitar.

They also make a new D-16 Adirondack that has the wider nut spacing and mahogany B&S

• Members

Thanks or the links, Fstpicker. I was checking out some of the youtube videos last night and got the just of what the HD-16R LSH's tone was like but the quailty of youtubes are unfortunately not high fidelity. I'm gonna check to see if Maury's has clips on his site.

FWIW, I sense that it doesn't have the "thunderous bass" that I positively love about the 35's.

• Members

Its funny the Martin purist's mostly dont accept the d-16 series, yet those are the Martin guitars that offer the most balanced tone. I love the sound of the HD-16R Adirondak which this year has been replaced by the HD-16M Adirondak. The HD-16R Adi reminds me of a cross between a D-28 and a Taylor.

If you read about Martins history the 16 line of guitars were originally introduced to showcase new technology and to be the place in the Martin line where new inovative ideas could be tested.

• Members

Thanks or the links, Fstpicker. I was checking out some of the youtube videos last night and got the just of what the HD-16R LSH's tone was like but the quailty of youtubes are unfortunately not high fidelity. I'm gonna check to see if Maury's has clips on his site.

FWIW, I sense that it doesn't have the "thunderous bass" that I positively love about the 35's.

My impression as well. Sounds kind of bright from what I'm hearing. Recording techniques can affect what you hear though, as well as type and condition of strings.

• Members

Here's some soundclips of my HD16RLSH I used to own:

Leaning...

Stars in my Crown

Carter Medley

Church in the Wildwood

Here's one on YouTube:

HD16RLSH demo

Hope this helps. It is a GREAT sounding guitar. After a year of ownership, it had opened even more.

Jeff

Some nice flatpicking and the guitar sounds great. One thing though: The link for "Church in the Wildwood" goes to the "Carter Family Medley." Other than that, :thu:

• Members

My impression as well. Sounds kind of bright from what I'm hearing. Recording techniques can affect what you hear though, as well as type and condition of strings.

Yeah, but the sustain and volume do seem to come through, especially when contrasted against Fstpicker's voice as he described the guitar.

• Members

Yeah, but the sustain and volume do seem to come through, especially when contrasted against Fstpicker's voice as he described the guitar.

Ya, I wasn't necessarily saying there's anything wrong with how it sounds. My personal preference when I played some of the Martin lower (15, 16 etc...) series was more for the MMV. Wasn't far off from the D-28 IMO.

Archived