No announcement yet.

Martin HD-16R LSH

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martin HD-16R LSH

Martin dreadnought HD-16R LSH has solid gloss rosewood sides and back, sitka spruce solid top, large sound hole (LSH), herring bone purfurling, 1 3/4 inch at the nut, scalloped hybrid X bracing.

The guitar seems to be a good all around dreadnought because of the wider nut that suits many playing styles. I was wondering how it compares to Martin HD-28 and HD-35 in terms of sounds and playability?

I'd be curious to hear as well. I haven't come across one yet but generally I'm starting to like the 16 series more and more - mostly because I can't seem to save up the scratch for that HD-35 that's been calling my name for 3 years now!
    Gear:
    2013 Official Luthier's Forum Medium Jumbo (Western red cedar/mahogany)
    2012 McKnight McUke (soprano ukulele, redwood/mahogany)
    2010 Martin D-16GT
    2006 Larrivee OM-03R
    1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster (natural ash finish)
    1989 Kramer Stryker
    197? Epiphone Texan FT-160N

Comment

I'd be curious to hear as well. I haven't come across one yet but generally I'm starting to like the 16 series more and more - mostly because I can't seem to save up the scratch for that HD-35 that's been calling my name for 3 years now!

Get the D16RGT
      If you find your self alone riding in green fields with the sun in your face... do not be troubled, for you are in Elysium. And you are already dead! Brothers... what we do in life... echoes in eternity! (Gladiator)

Comment

Get the D16RGT

Nah - now they have a real hog D-16GT that blows it away. I'm giving myself until Christmas to make a decision. In the meantime we have some home improvement expenses to finance for the short term - hopefully they won't eat my GAS fund. Last time I had money to burn both the furnace and the hot water heater died.

BTW, that shop also has a full-gloss D-16R that's sweet. It's more attainable than the HD-35 and much nicer in appointments than the D-16RGT. If only they had a HD-16R LSH though. Then my GAS would be completely unmanageable!

Sorry for the hijack, folks. I'd love to try one and give a report back if I could.
        Gear:
        2010 Martin D-16GT
        2006 Larrivee OM-03R
        1989 Kramer Stryker

Comment

I like the D16GT too. I'm tempted to get a used one here at a local shop.
          If you find your self alone riding in green fields with the sun in your face... do not be troubled, for you are in Elysium. And you are already dead! Brothers... what we do in life... echoes in eternity! (Gladiator)

Comment

Martin dreadnought HD-16R LSH has solid gloss rosewood sides and back, sitka spruce solid top, large sound hole (LSH), herring bone purfurling, 1 3/4 inch at the nut, scalloped hybrid X bracing.

The guitar seems to be a good all around dreadnought because of the wider nut that suits many playing styles. I was wondering how it compares to Martin HD-28 and HD-35 in terms of sounds and playability?

I bought a HD-16R LSH in July and I absolutely LOVE it! I liked it much better than the D-28, and a little better than the HD-28 that I compared it to, IIRC. I don't think I played an HD-35, but I was wowed by the 16's amazing low end. Definitely check one out
            check out my acoustic compositions here: myspace
            and here: soundclick

Comment

I bought a HD-16R LSH in July and I absolutely LOVE it! I liked it much better than the D-28, and a little better than the HD-28 that I compared it to, IIRC. I don't think I played an HD-35, but I was wowed by the 16's amazing low end. Definitely check one out

How does it sound like?

Comment

How does it sound like?

It's quite loud, with great bass response, but still balanced. Very sweet sound. Easy to play, too. I haven't played enough HD-28s or 35s to give you a real comparison, but I highly recommend playing an HD-16R LSH to see if it's the sound you're after.

Comment

It has a good bass repsonse, but it's not as bass heavy/boomy as other Martin Dreads. It has awesome projection.

Comment

Damn. Now I'm really curious about this model. I as just perusing the specs and the bridge/fretboard isn't micarta, it's solid striped ebony. The pics look like a really dark rosewood.
                    Gear:
                    2010 Martin D-16GT
                    2006 Larrivee OM-03R
                    1989 Kramer Stryker

Comment

Damn. Now I'm really curious about this model. I as just perusing the specs and the bridge/fretboard isn't micarta, it's solid striped ebony. The pics look like a really dark rosewood.

Check one out, Kwak!! I got mine at Sam Ash in Charlotte, but I bet many large stores would have one. GC in Greensboro didn't, though, FWIW.

My playing style is mostly moderate to heavy strumming to accompany myself singing, and this guitar is well-suited for that.

Comment

Martin also produces it with Adirondack Spruce (not sure how this is different tonally from Sitka Spruce, though), as another option.

Comment

Check one out, Kwak!! I got mine at Sam Ash in Charlotte, but I bet many large stores would have one. GC in Greensboro didn't, though, FWIW.

My playing style is mostly moderate to heavy strumming to accompany myself singing, and this guitar is well-suited for that.

do you have sound clips please?

Comment

Here's some soundclips of my HD16RLSH I used to own:

Leaning...

Stars in my Crown

Carter Medley

Church in the Wildwood

Here's one on YouTube:

HD16RLSH demo

Hope this helps. It is a GREAT sounding guitar. After a year of ownership, it had opened even more.

Jeff

Comment

Here's some soundclips of my HD16RLSH I used to own:

Leaning...

Stars in my Crown

Carter Medley

Church in the Wildwood

Here's one on YouTube:

HD16RLSH demo

Hope this helps. It is a GREAT sounding guitar. After a year of ownership, it had opened even more.

Jeff

thanks for your clips, it has very beautiful sound indeed. have you tried any other HD models?

Comment

Working...
                              X