Medium vs Light Strings

Christhee68

• Members

I definitely like the sound of the mediums, but when I saw the action change so dramatically, it made me concerned. Is the extra tension something to worry about?

It's a brand new guitar after all, and it is an Alvarez, so I would expect it to be well-constructed. The thing won't pull apart just because of the higher tension, will it?

Like I said, I never would have given it a second thought had I not seen the action change so much after I put the mediums on.

• Members

I definitely like the sound of the mediums, but when I saw the action change so dramatically, it made me concerned. Is the extra tension something to worry about?

It's a brand new guitar after all, and it is an Alvarez, so I would expect it to be well-constructed. The thing won't pull apart just because of the higher tension, will it?

Like I said, I never would have given it a second thought had I not seen the action change so much after I put the mediums on.

I wouldn't worry so much about the action issue - sounds like a normal neck reaction to higher-tension strings, especially since your guitar came to you set up with lights, and you've corrected the problem by adjusting the truss rod.

What I might worry about more is certain top woods in conjunction with mediums - like cedar or redwood. Your guitar's top is dao... I know zip about dao. I'm thinking you should be fine, but you may want to shoot an email to the Alvarez folks. I had a similar question recently when I wanted to slap some mediums onto a Martin 000 - I asked here, and also emailed Martin. Turned out to be no problem.

Congrats on your new Alvarez!

• Members

Most decently built guitars will handle mediums, although not all sound best with them. My guess--and that's all it is--is that dao flexes more than other woods in response to string tension because normally a change of one gauge shouldn't produce a significant change in action. It may be that this specific guitar needs to be strung with lights. Are you keeping the guitar properly humidified? That could explain some of the change as well.

• Members

I'm thinking you should be fine, but you may want to shoot an email to the Alvarez folks. I had a similar question recently when I wanted to slap some mediums onto a Martin 000 - I asked here, and also emailed Martin. Turned out to be no problem.

Congrats on your new Alvarez!

Why didn't I think of that?

I emailed Alvarez here's what they said:

"We do not test these guitars with medium gauge strings, so we cannot give good feedback on what might happen if you use them. I would personally opt to go back to light gauge."

They responded in less than 5 MINUTES! I would recommend Alvarez to anyone base on their service alone.:thu:

• Members

Any intonation issues with the string change? I had a ovation that would only intonate with .010s and it sounded great with .012s on it but only at the cowboy chord position. By the 5th fret the intonation was wrecked and I didn't want to relocate the fixed bridge or bugger up the saddle pad so I was stuck with light guage strings on that one.

• Members

Any intonation issues with the string change? I had a ovation that would only intonate with .010s and it sounded great with .012s on it but only at the cowboy chord position. By the 5th fret the intonation was wrecked and I didn't want to relocate the fixed bridge or bugger up the saddle pad so I was stuck with light guage strings on that one.

I couldn't say. I only play cowboy chords.

• Members

Normally, I'd say you should go with the mediums if you like them better, though changing string gauges really shouldn't change the action appreciably. If Alvarez recommends that you go back to the light gauge strings, I would probably do as they say. Stringing most guitars up with mediums won't cause a problem, but it sounds like you're probably better off sticking with lights...no sense in risking your guitar for a slightly heavier string.

• Members

If you really miss the mediums but are worried about potential Ill effects based on the response of the Alvarez folks, you may want to try using mediums, but also tuning down a half step. I do this on all my guitars - half for playing comfort, half for vocal comfort. Mediums tuned down a half step are lower tension than lights tuned to standard pitch. If you don't like the lower pitch, you can always slap a capo on the first fret.

• Members

If you really miss the mediums but are worried about potential Ill effects based on the response of the Alvarez folks, you may want to try using mediums, but also tuning down a half step. I do this on all my guitars - half for playing comfort, half for vocal comfort. Mediums tuned down a half step are lower tension than lights tuned to standard pitch. If you don't like the lower pitch, you can always slap a capo on the first fret.

:thu:

this is exactly what i do. Works great.

• Members

Well, I took the advice of Alvarez and went ahead and changed back to lights. It may have been my imagination, but I could swear it looked like the bridge was pulling up from the top with the mediums on it.

Anyway, it still sounds great with the lights and is way easier to play.

P.S. I have a slightly used set of medium Elixir Phosphor Bronze if anyone

• Members

. . . I emailed Alvarez here's what they said:

"We do not test these guitars with medium gauge strings, so we cannot give good feedback on what might happen if you use them. I would personally opt to go back to light gauge." . . .

Personally, I find it worrisome that they can't tell you what would happen if you put mediums on it. This is one huge drawback of many Asian made guitars, IMHO. If you e-mailed Martin, they could tell you for certain whether a given guitar was built for mediums. Undoubtedly the same with Taylor or Larriv

• Members

I can't see Med's being a prob on most modern guitars. Recommend following manufactuer's specs, always. A's response is far from an endorsement for Meds, so it sounds like Lights are where it's at. Just thinking you might find a "Bluegrass" set, or something else that's non-standard blend. But if Lights don't bother you, OK.

• Members

I can't see Med's being a prob on most modern guitars. Recommend following manufactuer's specs, always. A's response is far from an endorsement for Meds, so it sounds like Lights are where it's at. Just thinking you might find a "Bluegrass" set, or something else that's non-standard blend. But if Lights don't bother you, OK.

I was thinking something along these lines. I know Elixir makes a "medium-light" guage set. Maybe try something like that?

Otherwise, it sounds like you got your answer from Alvarez and that's the safe call. Plus your fingers will be grateful!

Chris

Archived