Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preamp Suggestions?

I've played a few gigs with my JJB-equipped Seagull S12 and while it sounds good, it's always been missing something. I run the signal into my EQ, which I'm using as a makeshift preamp, but it's not quite cutting the mustard. I just can't get a good setting nailed down, which isn't a problem I've had with any of my other guitars.

Thus, I've concluded that I really ought to get a dedicated preamp of some sort. The JJB is a passive pickup too, so that's even more reason to get one. I'm thinking about getting a Prestige for my S6 as well, so I'd be able to use the preamp with more than one guitar as well.

So...any good preamps out there? I don't want to drop $150 on one, but I don't want to go bargain basement either. Something small and inconspicuous would definitely be a plus as well, though I suppose I could go the route of a preamp/DI box combo if that's the best option.
    Guitars: Seagull S6+CW, Epiphone LP Standard, Ovation CU247, Gretsch G5120, Seagull S12 (w/ JJB Prestige 330), Martin GPCPA3 Mandolins: Mid-Missouri M-2, WWII-era Octave MandolinAmps: Fender Princeton Chorus, Marshall AVT50H/AVT412, Crate VC120HEffects: EBow > AKG Wireless > Boss TU-2 > Boss PH-3 > EHX Doctor Q > Dunlop 535 Wah > Boss OS-2 > Boss EQ-20 > Boss CH-1 > Boss NS-2 > Boss RV-3
    LHGCC Participant ~ Jimmy Caper

The JJB transducers, are from reading their literature, all Piezo devices. These are active, not passive devices, having a high impedance and therefore needing a preamp to both lower the output impedance, and to boost the signal. Either an onboard, or outboard preamp will sound much better. Such as a Baggs DI.

Comment

The JJB transducers, are from reading their literature, all Piezo devices. These are active, not passive devices, having a high impedance and therefore needing a preamp to both lower the output impedance, and to boost the signal. Either an onboard, or outboard preamp will sound much better. Such as a Baggs DI.

I was under the impression that active pickup systems require some sort of power (e.g. a 9V battery), but if you say so, I'll take your word for it.

In any case, I've looked at the LR Baggs DI/preamp combos and they're a little pricey. If there was something small enough to toss into my guitar case, I'd really go for that. It'd make my acoustic setup relatively portable.
      Guitars: Seagull S6+CW, Epiphone LP Standard, Ovation CU247, Gretsch G5120, Seagull S12 (w/ JJB Prestige 330), Martin GPCPA3 Mandolins: Mid-Missouri M-2, WWII-era Octave MandolinAmps: Fender Princeton Chorus, Marshall AVT50H/AVT412, Crate VC120HEffects: EBow > AKG Wireless > Boss TU-2 > Boss PH-3 > EHX Doctor Q > Dunlop 535 Wah > Boss OS-2 > Boss EQ-20 > Boss CH-1 > Boss NS-2 > Boss RV-3

Comment

You are absolutely correct, in that any preamp needs power, either 9, 18 V or phantom power. The Baggs DI uses either 9V or phantom power.

Comment

LR Baggs PARA DI

Comment

A passive system, is a single coil, or humbucker type pickup, putting out approx 100 MV rms to 1 V rms, needing no buffer or boost in the signal, or change in impedance.

Comment

LR Baggs PARA DI

Thanks Stack, the proper name escaped me.

Comment

That LR Baggs DI is nice...but it costs almost as much as the guitar I'm planning on using it with .

What about this? Not as fancy, but it's cheaper and a lot more portable. I usually play with a wireless setup, and I think it would be pretty simple to clip a Gigpro onto my strap, run the guitar into it, then run it to my wireless pack.

What say ye?

Comment

That LR Baggs DI is nice...but it costs almost as much as the guitar I'm planning on using it with .

What about this? Not as fancy, but it's cheaper and a lot more portable. I usually play with a wireless setup, and I think it would be pretty simple to clip a Gigpro onto my strap, run the guitar into it, then run it to my wireless pack.

What say ye?

That will work!

Comment

I think you may be running into a problem, in that you installed the transducers behind the bridgepins.

Comment

Along the lines of small and inconspicuous, I've always been amazed at these.
                      http://www.kksound.com/purepreamp.html

I use it with my Moon mando. It doesn't do as much as my PADI, but I don't think the PADI sounds any better. Nice to have the volume control handy too.

Comment

I think you may be running into a problem, in that you installed the transducers behind the bridgepins.

Perhaps, but perhaps not.

I sent an E-mail to Jessie and he said that the pickup placement probably wouldn't have a drastic effect on the sound. He went on to say that while he would replace the pickups for free if I damaged them, it probably wouldn't be worth the risk to try taking them off and reattaching them on the opposite side of the bridge pins.

I think the main problem is likely the impedance mismatch that Guitar_stringer mentioned. The pickups are piezos and because of that, there really should be a preamp somewhere in the signal chain.

Perhaps Rob (rhancox) will chime in. I know that he has a JJB Prestige installed on one of his guitars, and it would be interesting to see what kind of preamp (if any) he uses in conjunction with his pickup.

Comment

The JJB you have will be passive if it does not have a battery so will sound a bit weak and "tinny" unless you use an external preamp to boost the signal. That little LR Baggs should do the job fine - you might even find something cheaper if you shop around.
                          Howard

Comment

That little LR Baggs should do the job fine - you might even find something cheaper if you shop around.

Any suggestions ?

Comment

I've used the LR Baggs Para Acoustic DI and the K&K XLR preamp. I think that both of these go for around $150. They both really help the tone of my amplified acoustic but the LR Baggs does a lot more in that it's also a very effective feedback control device. I initially consulted a good guitar tech who told me to always use a preamp with any acoustic setup.
                              Larrivee L-03R & Larrivee D-031974 Yairi YW-100 Dreadnought (Sada Yairi)SWR California Blonde

Comment

Working...
                              X