I Love Dropped 'D' Tuning

martinipm

• Members

I like dropped D a lot too.

I have an arrangement of Connection (and old Stones tune) that I do in dropped D. It's not really like anybody else's arrangement, although it is influenced quite a bit by the Montrose version. They did a hard rock, electric guitar intro, though, so I had to come up with my own variation. World Turning is another in dropped D.

If you go to dropped D plus a capo, you get some cool songs like Acadian Driftwood by the Band (one of their grossly underappreciated gems). I'm even doing Here Comes the Sun in dropped D with a capo, although I think most people use standard tuning with a capo for that one.

• Members

I used to use a lot of drop D but in the last few years, I've moved more toward partial capo, faux drop D. At first, it was tough to shake the feeling I was cheating somehow.

It was years ago, but it took me a long time to train my hands and mind to deal with that D bass -- and, frankly, I was more than a little nervous about possibly displacing that knowledge by working in the partial capo D-bass thing.

But recently I've gotten increasingly into DADGAD, but I think it's kind of like languages; the more you sort of know, the easier it is to learn the next one. Or something. Anyhow, DADGAD gave me a whole new set of challenges (and possibilities, of course; funny I never really got into it before), so I stopped feeling funny about the capo.

(And I should say that my guitars are generally dropped a half-step, besides.)

• Members

I used to use a lot of drop D but in the last few years, I've moved more toward partial capo, faux drop D. At first, it was tough to shake the feeling I was cheating somehow.

It was years ago, but it took me a long time to train my hands and mind to deal with that D bass -- and, frankly, I was more than a little nervous about possibly displacing that knowledge by working in the partial capo D-bass thing.

But recently I've gotten increasingly into DADGAD, but I think it's kind of like languages; the more you sort of know, the easier it is to learn the next one. Or something. Anyhow, DADGAD gave me a whole new set of challenges (and possibilities, of course; funny I never really got into it before), so I stopped feeling funny about the capo.

(And I should say that my guitars are generally dropped a half-step, besides.)

that sort of describes me, too. I would decide to learn a new tune & it would be in a different tuning I hadn't used before. I was a bit hesitant and intimidated at first by this. But in short order I understood I had no reason to fear open tunings.

but back to the topic at hand...

My drop-D list:

• Members

I love drop d for just screwing around with blues stuff. you can get a good droning bass line in d and throw in little licks here and there. sounds good. once you try this, your appetite for more alternative tunings may kick in... like double drop d, dadgad, open g etc. all very similar tunings. led zeppelin used them a fair bit.

Archived