Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500M(warning, guitar content)

TN.Frank

• Members

Just played a Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500M Advanced Jumbo Acoustic at a local dealer's and wow, I may need to rethink my idea of Epiphone. This one DOES NOT have the funky headstock that I so detest on the lower priced Epiphones and it had a pertty good sound despite the old string that were on it. His price is $399, that's $100 less then MF has em' for. He's always willing to dicker a bit so I might get him down even more on it.

Here's a link to the guitar:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Masterbilt-AJ500M-Advanced-Jumbo-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=519028

Also played a Tak but it had electronics and was more then I want to spend.

I think this is what I'm looking for. Something "old timey" in the looks dept. and NOT a traditional Dread but still with more punch and volume then my 000. Now to just come up with the cash.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sounds like a winner to me. No clue on what the warranty is but bear in mind that like your RK it's made in the PRC. I played a nice one once upon a time in the local GC but there were more than a few that looked like they'd fallen off the boat on the trip over and had washed ashore, stamped as "2nd" and hung on the wall as-is. That being said, that one AJ-500M that spoke to me had some mojo to its tone. I say if the one you tried sang to you and the price is right then go for it.

• Members

Michael Kelly is just too unknown to me to really get into it. Epi is kind of "local"(I know, they're made in China BUT Epi and Gibson are both bassed in Nashville, so.....) which is good. I've read about their Masterbilt guitars here on the forum for a while now, about how great they are, ect. but never had the chance to play one until today. I like the feel, the action was nice, it had a great tone, it even looked kind of "vintage" with the matte finish and open back butter bean tuners. Just what I'm looking for something that looks old but isn't .

• Members

I have an AJ500M sunburst. Been about 3 years now. Tremendous value, especially at the price you are quoting. Giant volume. Every time I pick mine up, I end up mumbling something like "I need to play this more". I have heard some complain of quality issues (possibly humidity issues), but mine is rock solid so far.

If it is in good shape and you can swing it, do it and don't look back.

• Members

If I were in your shoes, I would jump on that deal and not look back.

Actually, if you were in my shoes you'd have about $80 bucks saved up and would still need to sell the RK RO-06 to get the rest of the money,LOL.

IF I had the cash in hand I'd offer him $375 out the door and see if he'd bite or not. I know that's more then I had planned to spend but this guitar just looks so "retro" that I can't stand it. I love stuff that looks like it's from the '30's or '40's and was well taken care of instead of looking brand spankin' new like it just came out of the cookie cutter two days ago. Just need to sell the RK and I'll be in the running.

• Members

How is selling the RK going... was there someone on the forum that had interest?

Nope, no one yet. I've got it down to $225, which is as low as I can possible go and no one has e-mailed me from LSN yet. I've got close to $350 into the guitar and case.:cry: You just can't give away stuff these days. Everyone is so strapped for cash. If I could get a buddy to give me the $50 bucks he owes me that'd go along way toward getting the Epi(or some other guitar) but so far nothing. Guess I need to call him and see what's up.

P.S.

Check this out:

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Acoustic+Guitar/product/Epiphone/Masterbilt+AJ500M/10/1

Everyone seems to give this guitar pretty high marks.

• Members

Yes... and also very good reviews on musiciansfriend.

I thought about a Masterbilt... I went Yammie because I knew it... and seems that they may come pretty standard out of the box...

I don't want to think about guitars for awhile... maybe in a few years as I get near 50... :cry:

• Members

The one reason I stuck with the RK 000 was that it was kind of "vintage" but it's just not vintage enough for me. The sealed tuners and gloss finish just ruin this guitar for me. I'm sure a lot of people like their guitars that way but I like a dull, matte finish and open backs, they just look "right" on this kind of guitar. It is the tobacco sunburst finish too, not the natural with is also a big plus to me. I've just got to figure out a way to get this guitar, hey, does anyone need a slightly used kiddney,LOL.

• Members

...I've got it down to $225, which is as low as I can possible go and no one has e-mailed me from LSN yet. I've got close to $350 into the guitar and case.
:cry:
You just can't give away stuff these days. Everyone is so strapped for cash...

Yes, you can lower the price. :poke: As always, what you "have into it" is irrelevant. Drop the price to $175, go put your buddy in a headlock and get your $50, and then get a nice all-solid wood guitar. :)

I think you are on the right track with the Masterbilt (or a Yamaha L series). I would call MF and find out what they are willing to sell either of these for.

You may want to look for some used options there.

• Members

TN.Frank The one reason I stuck with the RK 000 was that it was kind of "vintage" but it's just not vintage enough for me. The sealed tuners and gloss finish just ruin this guitar for me. I'm sure a lot of people like their guitars that way but I like a dull, matte finish and open backs, they just look "right" on this kind of guitar. It is the tobacco sunburst finish too, not the natural with is also a big plus to me. I've just got to figure out a way to get this guitar, hey, does anyone need a slightly used kiddney,LOL.

I thought of sunburst (or something along those lines) for my FS

In the end, i got natural... all my gits are natural... though the other two have aged on the top.

• Members

I have an AJ500M sunburst. Been about 3 years now. Tremendous value, especially at the price you are quoting. Giant volume. Every time I pick mine up, I end up mumbling something like "I need to play this more". I have heard some complain of quality issues (possibly humidity issues), but mine is rock solid so far.

If it is in good shape and you can swing it, do it and don't look back.

I like the sunburst the best. :thu:

Great guitar for the money.

• Members

Well, it's nice to hear someone say that I'm on the RIGHT track for a change. I guess I'll drop the price to $200 and see what happens. God, ya'll are killin' me.
:facepalm:

Frank, when you share every thought that enters your head, and ask for opinions on those thoughts, you need to be sure your skin is thick enough to handle the responses. No one is hunting you down to be critical.

Now go sell that damn kidney! ;)

• Members

Hey, what can I say I'm just an open kind of guy around people who I figure are my friends.

Why is it that they crack? QC problem or something? Also, I'm normally not real tough on my guitars, but I don't worry too much about humidity either, so should I with something that's solid wood? How good is the warrenty "just in case" and what size case would one of these "Advanced Jumbo" guitars take? I always thought they were Slope Shoulder Dreads not Advanced Jumbos.LOL.

Archived