MARTIN (body size) 000-15 vs D-15

RottyDog

• Members

guys, wondering does the body size differs each other? saw from the pics seems the same, mind teach me about the body size difference for acoustic guitar?

been playing full size dreadnought but yet to try out smaller body guitar, think they named it orchestra size? 00, 000... etc... i can see beside 'waistline' narrower, wondering is it thicker doby width,meaning deeper wider?

anyone tried all this range before,? mind elaborate?? found out John mayer/eric clapton signature also using 000 which is OM smaller size guitar? or is it just preference? better playability..

thanks in advance.. cheers...

P.S: i know u will ask me go try out my own, however i have transport problem, larger guitar shop are all far away my city. peace...

• Members

I'm not an expert by any means, but I have always liked the big, loud sound of a dreadnaught.

My brother plays a smaller-bodied (similar to 000) guitar. I said to him, "Isn't a smaller guitar not as loud as the dreadnaught?"

He said "It doesn't have to be louder because it projects better." In other words, it's not louder, but it just sounds like it.:confused:

From what I've read, bigger guitars are generally for strumming and rythm playing, and the smaller ones are better for leads and fingerstyle playing.

• Members

I'm not an expert by any means, but I have always liked the big, loud sound of a dreadnaught.

My brother plays a smaller-bodied (similar to 000) guitar. I said to him, "Isn't a smaller guitar not as loud as the dreadnaught?"

He said "It doesn't have to be louder because it projects better." In other words, it's not louder, but it just sounds like it.
:confused:

From what I've read, bigger guitars are generally for strumming and rythm playing, and the smaller ones are better for leads and fingerstyle playing.

icic, thx mate for ur prompt feedback.

• Members

IMHO, the 000 has more note seperation and nuance, a bit more sprightly than the D. And the Martin D-15 has a deep woody resonance that blends the notes together. I have played both and prefer the "S" versions of both. The 000-15s which I own and the D-15S which is a really great guitar, better sounding and more resonant than it's paddlehead cousin. A great recording guitar as well, the notes have a sharper fall off than the spruce topped guitars that ring out longer so they tend to record better...again IMHO :)

• Members

IMHO, the 000 has more note seperation and nuance, a bit more sprightly than the D. And the Martin D-15 has a deep woody resonance that blends the notes together. I have played both and prefer the "S" versions of both. The 000-15s which I own and the D-15S which is a really great guitar, better sounding and more resonant than it's paddlehead cousin. A great recording guitar as well, the notes have a sharper fall off than the spruce topped guitars that ring out longer so they tend to record better...again IMHO
:)

icic, thx mate for ur feedback, wondering whether the size wise has big diff? base on pics, can see that the OM or 000 size acoustic guitar has narrower waistline, how bout their witdh of guitar, mean wider ??? or thicker as well?? thx.

• Members

In addition to the differences in body size, the smaller body guitars tend to have wider string spacing, typically with a 1 3/4" nut.

My small body, 12 fret, short scale 00-18 and 000-15S are as loud as either of my dreads, but both lack their really deep low end. The dreads are both rosewood and both the 00 and 000 are mahogany so I don't really try to compare them, I just play whichever one I feel like and whichever suits the material.

The smaller guitars are more comfortable to hold and to play, particularly because of the shorter scale length. The combination of lighter gauge strings and short scale results in less string tension and they are considerably easier on the fingers. That's the biggest difference. But if you're looking for that big loud booming bass you've got to use a dread strung with mediums.

• Members

The smaller guitars are more comfortable to hold and to play, particularly because of the shorter scale length.

I agree about the comfort -- my 000-15S is VERY comfortable. But I thought the scale length was 25.4" -- same as the dreads.

Archived