CF Martin are all U.S handbuilt/handcrafted?

RottyDog

• Members

guys, checked and found out certain ppl saying that OM1 is made in US, certain claimed its actually MIM, from the unofficial martin guitar forum, certain insist that ALL MARTIN US ARE HANDCRAFTED, or handbuilt instead of using automation CNC machine such as other manufactureres like Taylors Gibson etc, specifically for their lower line (baby taylor/100/200, Martin X).

any thoughts of it?? really interesting to know about Martin brand facts , gibson as well.

cheers...

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

X series is manufactured in Mexico. Most all others, including the new Series 1 guitars are made at the Martin factory in Nazareth PA. Martin uses a combination of handbuilding and CNC. For example, raw necks are hand sawed but CNC finished. Body assembly and neck/body joining is all done by hand, but final polishing and buffing is all CNC. From what I understand, there is less automation in the Martin factory than in the Taylor factory.

• Members

X series is manufactured in Mexico. Most all others, including the new Series 1 guitars are made at the Martin factory in Nazareth PA. Martin uses a combination of handbuilding and CNC. For example, raw necks are hand sawed but CNC finished. Body assembly and neck/body joining is all done by hand, but final polishing and buffing is all CNC. From what I understand, there is less automation in the Martin factory than in the Taylor factory.

Holy {censored}! Someone else in the US is awake at this hour?

My mistake on the MIM part.

• Members

Their necks a band sawed into blanks and then CNC'd to finish form, but their guitars are more hand assembled than hand built as much of the preparation work is machine based.

Are you sure about that, Gary? I seem to recall reading somewhere---maybe it was in a recent thread or something---that your skills as a luthier are somewhat . . . questionable ;).

:lol::facepalm:

• Members

Are you sure about that, Gary? I seem to recall reading somewhere---maybe it was in a recent thread or something---that your skills as a luthier are somewhat . . . questionable
;)

No, actually, this is one of the few times he's posted something that seems accurate concerning Martin. But I don't see how knowing about CFM production qualifies one as being a knowledgeable luthier.

Should've seen what he posted regarding Martin's use of the volute..

• Members

I took the Martin factory tour this past summer. The only guitars that are FULLY hand-built are the Custom shop ones (and those are all built by only ONE guy!)

They told us the X series guitars are made in Mexico, and that all the others (including the 1 series) are made there in Nazareth.

The original X series guitars were made in the US, but they moved production several years ago to Mexico.

• Members

This.

There are actually a series of videos on youtube that exhibit the entire process in the Nazareth factory. The 1 series are made in Nazareth, PA and were introduced to keep the company afloat since higher-end orders were diminishing in light of the recent downturn in the US economy. They are also increasing their production of ukeleles as well. CFM & Co. did something similar during the Great Depression. IIRC that's how the 15 series came about.

Back to the 1 series, they're basically an X series neck on a partly-finished 16 series body with apparently a slightly different bracing pattern. They're not bad for what they are: a solid wood entry-level Martin. Price-wise, they're not competitive with what's been coming out of China but believe it or not but according to Chris Martin the lower end sales have been what's been keeping the company afloat lately.

IIRC the production of their Golden Era line is more hands-on and has its own dedicated shop. I don't know if the actual pieces are formed the same as the rest of the factory's output though.

• Members

Are you sure about that, Gary? I seem to recall reading somewhere---maybe it was in a recent thread or something---that your skills as a luthier are somewhat . . . questionable
;)

Say that sort of thing to me face to face and I'll punch your {censored}ing lights out. That is a statement of fact and not a threat. Wise arsed nameless chicken {censored} that you are.

• Members

No, actually, this is one of the few times he's posted something that seems accurate concerning Martin. But I don't see how knowing about CFM production qualifies one as being a knowledgeable luthier.

Should've seen what he posted regarding Martin's use of the volute..

Take a good look at yourself. Proud are we? Does it feel gooood. :lol: Don't make me laugh. :lol:

• Members

Say that sort of thing to me face to face and I'll punch your {censored}ing lights out. That is a statement of fact and not a threat. Wise arsed nameless chicken {censored} that you are.

These are the words of Gary Palmer^^^now, why on earth would I or anyone here want to contract Gary Palmer to build a guitar?

GP, a "luthier" who would argue with potential customers on the internet about what they can and cannot hear...

Have a nice day.

• Members

As already said, the Martin X series is now built in Mexico. I have one of the last US built X series gits (2006).

I adore Martin gits, but their outsourcing to Mexico just rubs me the wrong way, as does all outsourcing to foreign countries.

• Members

guys, checked and found out certain ppl saying that OM1 is made in US, certain claimed its actually MIM, from the unofficial martin guitar forum, certain insist that ALL MARTIN US ARE HANDCRAFTED, or handbuilt instead of using automation CNC machine such as other manufactureres like Taylors Gibson etc, specifically for their lower line (baby taylor/100/200, Martin X).

any thoughts of it?? really interesting to know about Martin brand facts , gibson as well.

cheers...

This topic has been discussed many times over on the Acoustic Guitar Forum. There are many gifted guitar builders over there that have differing opinions on it.

• Members

As already said, the Martin X series is now built in Mexico. I have one of the last US built X series gits (2006).

I adore Martin gits, but their outsourcing to Mexico just rubs me the wrong way, as does all outsourcing to foreign countries.

Without outsourcing, many U.S. companies will not survive competing against foreign companies that have much lower labor costs. Like it or not, it's inevitable due to globalized free-market economies.

In theory, outsourcing ships out lower-paying jobs overseas while refocusing U.S. workforce on higher-paying jobs. The problem is, that "refocusing" process may not be smooth especially in the short-run.

• Members

These are the words of Gary Palmer^^^now, why on earth would I or anyone here want to contract Gary Palmer to build a guitar?

GP, a "luthier" who would argue with potential customers
on the internet
about what they can and cannot hear...

Have a nice day.

Mr "My mother used to tie a bone to my diaper so at least the dog would play with me as a child",

Yes, my name is Gary Palmer and I at least have the balls to stand by my name and not hide behind that of a beverage or the manner of anonymity in which you choose to bravely stand. I honestly think you're a good guitarist, but your online personality stinks.

Still using the library computer or do you have your own again? Still playing pocket billiards while stewing over which victim will receive your next insult between ultra short phases of politeness? Regardless, don't forget to wash your hands afterwards. :thu::lol:

I'm not bothered and couldn't care less about anything you have to say concerning my past occupation or family business. Primarily because I'm retired and have made my living. My pre-existing customer base is a solid one that was passed on to my brothers to continue the business with and they're doing very nicely thank you. You on the other hand are retarded by the very nature of your piss poor attitude toward others and there's unfortunately no cure for you. Please carry on hurling insults in my direction. I don't mind in the least. At least you'll be leaving others alone while doing so.

God kept his hands set firmly in his pockets whilst you stood waiting in the queue for charm and personal relationship pills. ;) Go to Ebay and see if you find some going cheap. :lol:

Archived