Best Acoustic/Electric Guitar under $1200

chryee090130

• Members

One thing I advise people looking for an "acoustic/electric": Consider thinking outside the box a little and maybe try an archtop acoustic with a pickguard mounted magnetic neck pickup. If you get over the preconceived notion that it HAS to be a flattop guitar, you might find it to be a more practical tool for the job over the typical flattop guitar with a piezo pickup under the saddle.

You can fingerpick one or strum one and accompany yourself singing, you can play it acoustically on your couch, you can flatpick one....and the sound might be a lot more pleasant than that piezo quack if you sit back and listen without a bias toward a flattop guitar. Just an idea.

G100CE_xl-88ea6a6b8bfe15270df62c2916ced3

• Members

I've seen and heard some guys playing some sweet-sounding Takamines and they were under $1,200. Shoot, I bet a couple of them were under $500.

They have a "Cool Tube" pre amp that is really cool, but I don't know the price point where that comes in to play.

I played a Taylor 214e that was about $899 that was really nice, but it seems like you can get a top of the line Takamine for the price of an entry level Taylor.

• Members

I've seen and heard some guys playing some sweet-sounding Takamines and they were under $1,200. Shoot, I bet a couple of them were under $500.

They have a "Cool Tube" pre amp that is really cool, but I don't know the price point where that comes in to play.

I played a Taylor 214e that was about $899 that was really nice, but it seems like you can get a top of the line Takamine for the price of an entry level Taylor.

What do you consider high-end for Takamine? Or entry-level for Taylor? There's plenty of cross-over between their prices. The most expensive Tak I can find goes for about 2500 bucks. You can spend a lot more than that on a Taylor, but (ignoring the Baby Taylor) the Big Baby and the 110 go for about 500 bucks each.

• Members

What do you consider high-end for Takamine? Or entry-level for Taylor? There's plenty of cross-over between their prices. The most expensive Tak I can find goes for about 2500 bucks. You can spend a lot more than that on a Taylor, but (ignoring the Baby Taylor) the Big Baby and the 110 go for about 500 bucks each.

I should have said "mid-range Takamine." I was thinking in the $1,000-$1,200 zone you get something way into the Takamine line while that's just getting you started with Taylor.

I wouldn't mind having either, by the way.

• Members

If I were going to spend $1000-$1200 for another acoustic, I might consider this:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Takamine-Nashville-TF430SS-NEX-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar?sku=516499#used

Musician's Friend had a very nice TF450GC for that price, but it is gone now. :(

p.s. Just noticed these:

http://victorlitz.com/cart/takamine-tf450gc-sante-fe-nex-flame-maple-acousticelectric-guitar-p-2399.html?currency=USD

http://www.accentmusic.com/buy/Takamine_Takamine_TF450GC_Sante_Fe_NEX_Flame_Maple_Acoustic-Electric_Guitar__-71941.html

You might want to call up the first one and see if they'll give you the $100 "TAKA" rebate that (I think) Takamine still has running.

• Members

I've seen and heard some guys playing some sweet-sounding Takamines . . .

They have a "Cool Tube" pre amp that is really cool, but I don't know the price point where that comes in to play. . . .

Takamine is about the best sounding you're going to find with factory installed electronics. However, the "Cool Tube" preamp has a reputation for using batteries like there's no tomorrow. What I'd recommend is finding the best $900 or so guitar you can and having electronics installed. There are some aftermarket systems that are really amazing. The Baggs M-1 comes to mind; $170 for the active version plus installation, which you can do yourself.

Archived