How much is a 1946 Gibson J 45 worth?

Bopshuwadi

• Members

So my grandma has this old Gibson that used to be my grandpas. I am hoping to have possession of it someday but I was just curious how much it is worth? I am pretty sure it is a 1946 Model. Not 100% sure though. Here is a picture

GrandpasGibson.jpg

Anyone know much it might be worth? Or even what year it probably is?

• Members

That's awesome. Don't know about value, but if you post the serial number and/or FON stamped inside, I'll get you the manufacturing information.

If I were you, I'd never sell it.

I cant post a serial number or anything, the guitar is in another province (my grandmas house) so I cant get that. She cant get pictures for me either. I wont sell it if I end up with it eventually, the guitar has a lot of personal value to me and it sounds incredible so I wouldn't do that.

• Members

Can't say for sure, but I'm sure we're talking 5 figures here - and I don't mean around $10K.

late 40s j-45s were going for between 3 & 7k a couple years ago, so that would be a big bump. much more value as an heirloom than as a collectable.

• Members

So my grandma has this old Gibson that used to be my grandpas. I am hoping to have possession of it someday but I was just curious how much it is worth? I am pretty sure it is a 1946 Model. Not 100% sure though. Here is a picture

GrandpasGibson.jpg

Anyone know much it might be worth? Or even what year it probably is?

It definetely looks like a '46-47. In 46 Gibson dropped the banner but kept the scroll logo...the bridge looks right, white was the original color for the tuners, but they were more of a butter bean style...rounder. They may have been replaced. In the 50's Gibson went with belly bridges. Check the design around the sound hole...it should have 4 rings. Here's a few pics of a '47.....

As far as price goes, it depends on how original, condition, etc....$5,000+ even with the alterations. Depending on the sound....could go for well over $7500-9000 in the US market...more overseas.

b208564455.jpg

b208564396.jpg

• Members

I had a `51 and a 52 J50. Best guitars I`ve ever had. As much as the vintage market fluctuates I would hate to guess the worth, but my guess would be $5-7K.. Call my friend Dave Crocker at Fly by Night Music is Neosho MO (417-451-5110) and he will tell you exactly how much it is worth today. Dave started the Texas guitar shows and is one of the biggest vintage guys in the US.

Archived