No announcement yet.

How much is a 1946 Gibson J 45 worth?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much is a 1946 Gibson J 45 worth?

So my grandma has this old Gibson that used to be my grandpas. I am hoping to have possession of it someday but I was just curious how much it is worth? I am pretty sure it is a 1946 Model. Not 100% sure though. Here is a picture

Anyone know much it might be worth? Or even what year it probably is?
    I dont have a good signature yet because I just registered. Oh well!

That's awesome. Don't know about value, but if you post the serial number and/or FON stamped inside, I'll get you the manufacturing information.

If I were you, I'd never sell it.
    -+O+-
    Gibson Southern Jumbo
    Fender Standard Telecaster & VOX AC4TV
    Martin DX1
    Squire P-Base

Comment

Can't say for sure, but I'm sure we're talking 5 figures here - and I don't mean around $10K.
      Gear:
      2013 Official Luthier's Forum Medium Jumbo (Western red cedar/mahogany)
      2012 McKnight McUke (soprano ukulele, redwood/mahogany)
      2010 Martin D-16GT
      2006 Larrivee OM-03R
      1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster (natural ash finish)
      1989 Kramer Stryker
      197? Epiphone Texan FT-160N

Comment

That's awesome. Don't know about value, but if you post the serial number and/or FON stamped inside, I'll get you the manufacturing information.

If I were you, I'd never sell it.

I cant post a serial number or anything, the guitar is in another province (my grandmas house) so I cant get that. She cant get pictures for me either. I wont sell it if I end up with it eventually, the guitar has a lot of personal value to me and it sounds incredible so I wouldn't do that.
        I dont have a good signature yet because I just registered. Oh well!

Comment

It's a most valuable family heirloom... Enjoy it and have your grandchildren enjoy it. I hope you have some of Grandpa's playing recorded too!
          tRump is NOT great, nor will history EVER say he was.

Comment

Can't say for sure, but I'm sure we're talking 5 figures here - and I don't mean around $10K.

late 40s j-45s were going for between 3 & 7k a couple years ago, so that would be a big bump. much more value as an heirloom than as a collectable.

Comment

So my grandma has this old Gibson that used to be my grandpas. I am hoping to have possession of it someday but I was just curious how much it is worth? I am pretty sure it is a 1946 Model. Not 100% sure though. Here is a picture

Anyone know much it might be worth? Or even what year it probably is?

It definetely looks like a '46-47. In 46 Gibson dropped the banner but kept the scroll logo...the bridge looks right, white was the original color for the tuners, but they were more of a butter bean style...rounder. They may have been replaced. In the 50's Gibson went with belly bridges. Check the design around the sound hole...it should have 4 rings. Here's a few pics of a '47.....

As far as price goes, it depends on how original, condition, etc....$5,000+ even with the alterations. Depending on the sound....could go for well over $7500-9000 in the US market...more overseas.

Steve Goodman Fan/Eddie Wright Fan/Damon Fowler Fan 2006 Martin OM21, 2014 Martin GPC12string, 2012 Gibson J45 Standard Spruce/mahogany1969 Framus 12 String Spruce/Mahogany1990's Larrivee D2 (Spruce/Mahogany)2007-8 Guild C0-2C (Spruce/Mahogany)2009 Recording King RO-26 (Spruce/Mahogany)1962-3 Gibson LG2 (Spruce/Mahogany)

Comment

I had a `51 and a 52 J50. Best guitars I`ve ever had. As much as the vintage market fluctuates I would hate to guess the worth, but my guess would be $5-7K.. Call my friend Dave Crocker at Fly by Night Music is Neosho MO (417-451-5110) and he will tell you exactly how much it is worth today. Dave started the Texas guitar shows and is one of the biggest vintage guys in the US.

Comment

That's only if it can play "Dream On"
                  Test it out and see if it can play that.
                  "I don't want to be immortalized through my work. I want to be immortalized by not dying." Woody Allen

Comment

Working...
                  X