Alvarez 5056 Is this Brazilian Rosewood?

derf

• Members

Wow...I owned this same model of Alvarez for a few years back in the late '70s, and yes, it is solid Brazilian Rosewood.

$300 BIN is a steal...even if you have to invest in a neck reset for another $300, for $600 and the price of a better case, you'd have one sweet guitar!
:thu:

The price went up!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ALVAREZ-5056-VINTAGE-ROSEWOOD-JAPAN-BRAZILIAN-NR_W0QQitemZ190142450410QQihZ009QQcategoryZ2385QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

• Members

The price went up!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ALVAREZ-5056-VINTAGE-ROSEWOOD-JAPAN-BRAZILIAN-NR_W0QQitemZ190142450410QQihZ009QQcategoryZ2385QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Still, that BIN is pretty reasonable...if I was still playing dreadnaughts, so in the market for such a guitar, I'd've jumped on it yesterday!

Mine got stolen out of my van after a gig and I looked for a replacement for several years (this wasn't a common model)...otoh, it was the best RW dreadnaught I've ever heard, much fuller and livelier sounding than any Martin I've ever run across! And the inlay was/is, IMABO, very tasteful.

If that one sounds as good as mine did, someone's going to be VERY happy! :)

• 2 years later...
  • Members

Yes, I know this is an ancient thread, but the incorrect info is still there for others to find and so I wanted to correct it to save someone from paying too much for an all laminate guitar.

Pre PD100, 5056 models are all laminate, white spruce top, flamed rosewood back and sides. PD100 has a solid top, PD100s is all solid.

yl

• Members

I had an Alvarez Yairi that had lam BR back and sides and a solid cedar top. Killer tone.

I know a lot of people look down on lam back and sides but Brazilian rosewood is notorious for cracking. Laminate defeats that problem. And I know I get flamed a lot for it but really the back and sides don't contribute much to tone at all. Another nice feature about lam BR is that the wood is usually prettier.

Archived