Best acoustic for a girl with small hands?

M0N0

• Members

Hey everyone. I guess I have "tiny" hands...for a guitar player.. But yeah I'm looking to buy a new acoustic. Playing piano, I can play octaves and JUST be able to stretch my hands wide enough to play another step up.

I was wondering if any of you could offer suggestions for a quality guitar for a good variety of musical styles..lets say well under $500.

I usually run into problems playing most regular acoustics because of my small hands.. :rolleyes:

And no I am not looking for a guitar for beginners.

• Members

i'm 5' 3" with small hands, and i don't have any problems playing a guitar with a wider neck. in fact, i prefer it, but sadly most guitars have thinner necks than i like. if you're looking for a narrower neck, that means you're in luck.

i recommend you check out a blueridge br-63. it's got an awesome sound, thinner nut width, smallish body. http://www.maurysmusic.com/inc/sdetail/35953

if you prefer mahogany to rosewood, the br-43 also sounds great, same size.

http://www.maurysmusic.com/inc/sdetail/80419

blueridges have more bass than the yamaha fg730s, but if you don't mind a full sized body, the neck is slender - too slender for my taste - and the guitar has a silvery sound.

• Members

i'm 5' 3" with small hands, and i don't have any problems playing a guitar with a wider neck. in fact, i prefer it, but sadly most guitars have thinner necks than i like. if you're looking for a narrower neck, that means you're in luck.

i recommend you check out a blueridge br-63. it's got an awesome sound, thinner nut width, smallish body.

if you prefer mahogany to rosewood, the br-43 also sounds great, same size.

blueridges have more bass than the yamaha fg730s, but if you don't mind a full sized body, the neck is slender - too slender for my taste - and the guitar has a silvery sound.

Awesome. Thanks for your answer. I happen to be 5' 3" as well, but I'm not as fortunate to prefer wider necks as you do haha. Do you own either of the blueridges that you mentioned? They do have great sound.

• Members

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-L-Series-LL6-Dreadnought-Acoustic-Guitar-with-Case?sku=518511

These possess a well balanced tone and are well suited to fingerstyle and strumming, but as always it's best to try as many instruments as possible before finalising your choice. It should feel and sound good to you and not the other way around.

Are there any guitars that you like the sound and feel of already?

• Members

Parkwood PW320M - Small guitar with solid spruce top and solid mahogany back and sides. Narrow neck so reach is easy and they are usually set up nicely by Parkwood. Guitar Center sells them and so does Musicians Friend. Good sound.

Well under $500.

If you want a used one I can sell you mine. :lol:

BigAl :)

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

• Members

You don't need a small guitar because you have small hands.

Are your hands smaller than Xuefei's? (I understand that she cannot palm a basketball.)

She plays a guitar with a 2 inch nut width. Here she is at age 12.

[YOUTUBE]0dXELPHvtUM&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

You can find a used Taylor 100 Series under $500. They are known for their slim necks and easy playability.

Yamaha (FG700, FG730, FG750) and Alvarez are two other brands that have slim necks. You find them new between $200 and $500 depending on the model.

Yamaha also has a smaller body version of the FG700 Series guitars: The FS-720. It's a full size guitar with a OM body.

• Members

These possess a well balanced tone and are well suited to fingerstyle and strumming, but as always it's best to try as many instruments as possible before finalising your choice. It should feel and sound good to you and not the other way around.

Are there any guitars that you like the sound and feel of already?

I've been playing a cheap hohner hc03 (3/4) classical guitar for the past 5 years. It was given to me when I first started playing. I'm sure I'm just not used to playing regular acoustics but I do like the feel of the 3/4. I also play electric, but those, of course, are thinner and easier to play.

It's definitely time for me to move on to a better instrument and I'd like to have one by the time I go to college in the fall.

I don't have much knowledge about acoustics to be honest. So I thought it'd be a good idea to ask the online community for some insight and suggestions.

• Members

Another vote for Luna. They are great values, even for those without small hands. Their acoustics all have a 1-5/8" nut width and a nice c profile neck with fairly low action for easy playing.

These guitars are quite appealing to the eye! Hah are there specific models you'd recommend?

• Members

Often times when somone mentions hand size and playability, folks assume it is a neck profile or width issue. Don't overlook the scale length. I experimented for years with widths and profiles and was not really happy until I switched to a Gibson with its shorter scale length.

Since a Gibson j-45 is not in your range, take a look at this Seagull, which has a 24 4/5" scale length. http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seagull-Slim-Dreadnaught?sku=512360

Archived