Good Songs in Open E

mdintx

• Members

Greetings All,

Last night, I tuned my Alvarez to Open E to play a couple of songs. I was wondering if you all might chime in with some other good songs in Open E.

So far, I've got:

She Talks to Angels

You Can't Always Get What You Want

• Members

I prefer to tune to open D and then capo up to E. This opens up a lot more possibilities and is easier on your guitar and strings (not to mention your fingers). It's also one note away from DADGAD.

Blind Blake played some really nice stuff in this tuning. Police Dog Blues is my favorite.

• Members

My absolute favorite song of all time is in open E - "Say It To Me Now" by Glen Hansard (of Irish band the Frames). The guitar part is really rather simple, but its an incredibly fun song to sing.

Others I like to play in open E include:

"Melissa" (Allman Brothers)

"Parachute" (Guster) - actually in open D, but open E will work

• Members

I personally don't like to tune UP to open E (or A for that matter) because of neck tension issues. Instead I tune down to open D (same sequence of notes, just DADF#AD).

Some of the songs include Allman's "Little Martha", Kottke's "Echoing Guilewitz" and "Watermellon", Faheys "Poor Boy" and "John Henry", Blind Boy Fuller's "Police Dog Blues", the old standards "Steel Guitar Rag" and the song the tuning is named after, "Sebastapol" (or Vestapol). I also do "Dark is the Night, Cold is the Ground", "Careless Love" and, oh my gosh, gotta be a few dozen more.

Another cool little trick is to take any song in open G (or A) and move it down one string (up from the floor) - the notes played on the first string move to the second, notes on the second move to the third, etc. You can kind of figure out what to do with the first string. Works for many, but not all song.

Kelly Joe Phelps does all his lap slide in open E, but capoes up a lot. And electric slide players like open E - the famous Elmo James lick also works on an acoustic.

• Members

I love open E for slide, I find the extra tension on the A,D and G strings really helps me keep the slide up off the frets and zip around easier....alot less buzzes and rattles and sweeter intonantion!

I wouldn't keep my guitar tuned up like that for more than a few songs in a set though, and certainly not left in it's case!

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
  • Members

Open E seems to suit my voice the best and I have a regal resonator that's been tuned in E for about 10 years and the neck is fine. Maybe I'm just lucky...

I'm saving for another reso that I can leave in D, but then you gotta have another for open G.............

Archived