"Light" Strings on a MArtin Backpacker?

• Members

ANyone try putting light strings on a "backpacker"? Seems to me some of "thin-ness" in sound could be helped by going from "extra-light" to "light" strings. Elixir also makes "custom light" strings which is sort of like gauge between "light" and "extra-light". Anyone try it? Will I destroy my BAckpacker if I try it?

• Members

ANyone try putting light strings on a "backpacker"? Seems to me some of "thin-ness" in sound could be helped by going from "extra-light" to "light" strings. Elixir also makes "custom light" strings which is sort of like gauge between "light" and "extra-light". Anyone try it? Will I destroy my BAckpacker if I try it?

I doubt the difference between extra light and light is so great that you will cause serious damage to the guitar. I actually don't think you'll destroy your Backpacker if you try any strings heavier than extra lights, but I do think you could cause some damage if you leave the strings on the guitar for a while. Stuff like the bridge pulling up, the top warping, etc. Backpackers aren't braced to take as much tension as a regular guitar, plus they're tiny. The sound will always be pretty thin.

I've heard from folks who like the Silk and Steels on the Backpacker. Haven't tried it myself.

• Members

I don't think going from extra light to light will help with thinness. It'll just be louder thinness. I've tried that with thin sounding guitars and it didn't help. Silk and steel should make it less annoying though. Give it more of a folk, strumming sound. I used them on my thin body, thin sounding Ovation Celebrity and it sounded much better.

• Members

I know mine says on the label to use extra light strings only, but before I noticed that, I tried a set of lights. And while I guess you could say it "improved" the tone, we're still talking about degrees of god-awfulness here. IMO, the only thing that would make the Backpacker sound worse is if you lifted the bridge by using too-heavy strings. So embrace the {censored}tiness! Stick with the angel-hairs.

• Members

I also thought it might help increase string life. I bought it second hand and as soon as I tightened the strings out of the box, "poink" the high-e broke. Then a week later, "poink" - the G broke. I guess I might as well get a new B since that's gonna be next.

I disagree about the "{censored}ty" sound. I think you have to look at the Backpacker as it's own instrument. Kinda like a cross between a Mandolin and a guitar and a Uke. Song choice also helps. I only bought it for a hike I"m doing in October. I'm also going to order a "go-guitar" before then and A/B them. If the Go-Guitar REALLY sounds $200 better I'll keep it and sell the Backpacker.

• Members

I know mine says on the label to use extra light strings only, but before I noticed that, I tried a set of lights. And while I guess you could say it "improved" the tone, we're still talking about degrees of god-awfulness here. IMO, the only thing that would make the Backpacker sound worse is if you lifted the bridge by using too-heavy strings. So embrace the {censored}tiness! Stick with the angel-hairs.

I LOL'd.

BTW, do people really think of tone with those things? Aren't they basically just "practice tools" and not actual gig-worthy instruments?

• Members

I LOL'd.

BTW, do people really think of tone with those things? Aren't they basically just "practice tools" and not actual gig-worthy instruments?

They're great for backpacking, hiking, biking, rock climbing.

I never do any of that shit so I don't need one. :)

• Members

I also thought it might help increase string life. I bought it second hand and as soon as I tightened the strings out of the box, "poink" the high-e broke. Then a week later, "poink" - the G broke. I guess I might as well get a new B since that's gonna be next.

I disagree about the "{censored}ty" sound. I think you have to look at the Backpacker as it's own instrument. Kinda like a cross between a Mandolin and a guitar and a Uke. Song choice also helps. I only bought it for a hike I"m doing in October. I'm also going to order a "go-guitar" before then and A/B them. If the Go-Guitar REALLY sounds $200 better I'll keep it and sell the Backpacker.

Tried a Baby Taylor?

• Members

Oi, I can't repeat myself anymore.

It's NOT a Martin Dread, it's not a OM, OOO, OO or O einer, nor is it a J.

It's a specialized Instrument for people, who are traveling rough or use planes, buses, motorbikes, bicycles et al. Or people, who want to play in hotel rooms, offices or Japanese houses with paper walls. It's just by chance fretted, has strings and is (usually) tuned EADGBE.

Due to that, it has it's own very unique sound. And that sound isn't too bad.

It even allows for nice strumming and mediocre fingerstyle at the usual "bonfire" gigs and even works nice'ish in a pub.

Take it for what it is and you'll learn to love it's versatility. Think of it as a replacement for a "standard" guitar and you'll hate it.

Compare it to a Baby Taylor or Washburn Rover and you compare Watermelons with Oranges - sizewise. And obviousy soundwise.

I like it, because it sound in between a guitar, a banjo and a mandolin - depending on your style.

Oh, and yes, silk and steel help to make it more "guitar like" and yes, you can use medium suilk and steel and no, it won't be as loud or cutting-through anymore.

• 4 years later...
  • Members
Try Martin's phosphor bronze silk and steel strings. The tone projects well and playability is easier than using conventional light or extra light acoustic strings. Have tried half a dozen approaches on Backpackers and found this the best by far.

You do realize this thread is over four years old, right?

• Members

Trying to find suitable strings for one of these little axes is still as much of a challenge today as it was four years ago when the thread began, or in the two years I've had a Martin Backpacker. I use medium gauge strings on full-size acoustics and electrics, and never thought I would recommend a silk and steel or (phosphor) set at all.

• 5 years later...

Archived