Martin DC-1E

Ronnie DP

• Members

Being in S Africa, we do not have large ranges of guitars to listen to in store.

I currently own a Taylor 310CE, and have picked up a used 714CE. Both recently purchased.

Today I went to a store that I've only just heard of. The owner asked me to play a guitar and tell him what I thought. It was the Martin DC-1E.

I was just amazed at the life and volume coming out of this guitar. It just sounded great to me. Particularly fingerstyle, which is how I play most of the time. 80% strumming, 20% picking.

Just thought I would ask what others think of this Martin. And I cant try any other models, this is the only one in stock.

Need to add that I play mostly unplugged. When I do amplify, I use a Sure 57 mic thru a Roland AC90 acoustic amp.

Thanks

Ronnie.

• Members

I have the DCX-1E - not sure what the difference is. Mine has a lovely neck and fretboard with a really low action that makes it a joy to play. However whilst the sound isn't bad, it's a little harsh to my ears and doesn't have the richness or warmth I'd like. (Bought myself an all-hog Tanglewood which does have exactly that richness and warmth).

• Members

They're a fine guitar and hold true to the Martin tone. They're built in the main factory in Nazareth, PA USA but will be moved to their Mexico factory once business picks back up, or so I hear. The body is all-solid wood (solid sitka spruce top, solid sapele back & sides with sitka spruce bracing and cedar kerfing inside) and very similar to a 15 or 16 series Martin but the neck is "stratabond" which is about 50 strips of wood laminated together with a rosewood fretboard and attached to the body with a mortise & tenon neck joint. Basically, it's an all-satin sapele D-16 without any body binding married to an DX neck.

I recently tried one locally but because there were other Martins to compare to I couldn't live with the sparse appointments. I did like the tone though; very robust albeit "bright" for a Martin. For the price they're a great entry-level Martin but with just a couple hundred dollars more I was able to upgrade to a D-16GT which is many ways is superior and can be found for around the same price as a DC-1E.

• Members

I
did
like the tone though; very robust albeit "bright" for a Martin. For the price they're a great entry-level Martin but with just a couple hundred dollars more I was able to upgrade to a D-16GT which is many ways is superior and can be found for around the same price as a DC-1E.

I think "robust" is a good description. For my style of playing, I would say it has a rich, but not overly bright tone. Maybe with a pick, it could end up sounding a bit bright?

So, maybe a case of horses for courses. My first impression is that it suits my playing style better than the 310CE. Very different sounds.

As I said earlier, it is not always possible to listen to a range here. I live in probably the 2nd biggest city here, and it is the first Martin I have come across. Even with the Taylors, there was nothing but the 310CE to listen to. So not much to compare with.

So far, I'm sorely tempted:)

• Members

So far, I'm sorely tempted:)

OK, just to complete the picture. I'm tempted no more:)

Whilst there may be other options (but not here), I liked the sound and the way this guitar plays. Enough to buy it.

So, I'm now a happy Martin guitar owner:cool: (Sharing a room with the Taylors)

Ronnie.

Archived