Wayne Henderson Guitars

jerry_picker

• Members

Does not look like a very sophisticated builder to me. 16 grand? you have to be kidding

What looks unsophisticated about it to you? Looks about like a dred should to me.

But its all about the sound.

Priced a pre-war 28 lately?

The people who care about the certain sound of a powerful pre-war martin dred think very highly of them. Ive never heard one in person, but they are well respected by many old time and bluegrass professionals.

• Members
$25k? I've heard it's more like $1k

To me he sounds like one of those hobo shed guitar builders from KY. There are probably hundreds like him..Shaping their guitar necks with a pocket knife.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZSb5_5eX3k

whcx.jpg[/quote

Ah, they say ignorance is truly bliss. Perhaps you'd like to speak about that sometime. Or....

In any case. Wayne Henderson has been building guitars since he was ten years old. He's now in his 60's. He charges $1500 for a guitar because he wants his friends to be able to afford them. They're so highly prized though, that they re-sell for far, far, more than he charges to build them, and his waiting list is very long. TO make matters worse, he doesn't build by the list, but as impulse or preference drives him. See, he owns his own property free and clear, has a decent pension, and all the money he needs, so he can do it however he wants. (a simple man).

True, he may not be the most sophisticated guy in the world, but who the fuck cares? He's one hell of a guitar builder, and one hell of a picker too. Check this out:

. WH playing a guitar he built. Personally, I've come to admire his attitude about it all, a modern day American zen master, afaic. So stfu asshole.

Oh, by the way, there's nothing wrong with shaping a guitar neck with a pocketknife, so long as it's sharp and you know wtf your doing. :wave:

• Members

Have seen many Henderson guitars, been to his shop several times, picked and socialzed with him some. He's a funny smart and humble guy. He is a master craftsman, an artist, a magician with wood. You may find guitars as good as his, but you will find none better.

His home & shop are in Rugby, Va.

• Members

Wayne Henderson has been building guitars since he was ten years old. He's now in his 60's. He charges $1500 for a guitar because he wants his friends to be able to afford them. They're so highly prized though, that they re-sell for far, far, more than he charges to build them, and his waiting list is very long. TO make matters worse, he doesn't build by the list, but as impulse or preference drives him.

Oh, isn't that sweet. He charges $1500 for a guitar because he wants his friends to be able to afford them. Truly an American fairy tale.

You know who buys these guitars for $16k? Same people who bought dot-com stocks during the dot-com bubble. I know a guy with 5 brazilian Olsons- can't even strum a chord. He bought them on recommendation from a stock broker.

I'm sure he's searching for Henderson.

And to say that I may "find guitars as good as his, but none better" is just a ridiculous thing. People who built 300 guitars are nowhere near "master craftsman". FYI you need to build 300 guitars just to learn the basics. Talk to a real luthier sometimes. How's the intonation on this thing? Can you play beyond the 3 fret?

I buy my guitars from real masters: Santa Cruz, Collings, Goodall & Tippin, not some hobo shed bluegrass artist. He may be good, but he ain't no master.

• Members

Oh, isn't that sweet. He charges $1500 for a guitar because he wants his friends to be able to afford them. Truly an American fairy tale.

You know who buys these guitars for $16k? Same people who bought dot-com stocks during the dot-com bubble. I know a guy with 5 brazilian Olsons- can't even strum a chord. He bought them on recommendation from a stock broker.

I'm sure he's searching for Henderson.

And to say that I may "find guitars as good as his, but none better" is just a ridiculous thing. People who built 300 guitars are nowhere near "master craftsman". FYI you need to build 300 guitars just to learn the basics. Talk to a real luthier sometimes. How's the intonation on this thing? Can you play beyond the 3 fret?

I buy my guitars from real masters: Santa Cruz, Collings, Goodall & Tippin, not some hobo shed bluegrass artist. He may be good, but he ain't no master.

Pics of your stable? :poke:

• Members

Among the unsophisticated untalented rubes who have been foolish enough to commission Wayne to build them a guitar are Gillian Welch, Peter Rowan, Doc Watson, Tommy Emmanuel and Eric Clapton.

For those of you who would like to look into the comically crude and primitive way Wayne cobbles together his instruments, I recommend you check out "Clapton's Guitar: Watching Wayne Henderson Build the Perfect Instrument" by St. John Allen.

It's a barrel of laughs.

• Members

Among the unsophisticated untalented rubes who have been foolish enough to commission Wayne to build them a guitar are Gillian Welch, Peter Rowan, Doc Watson, Tommy Emmanuel and Eric Clapton.

For those of you who would like to look into the comically crude and primitive way Wayne cobbles together his instruments, I recommend you check out "Clapton's Guitar: Watching Wayne Henderson Build the Perfect Instrument" by St. John Allen.

It's a barrel of laughs.

Boxo, m'dear, do post a link if the vid is available online. I'd love to see it!! (I'm just too sleepy and lazy to search da webz for it this morning)

• Members

Oh $hit, peeps....Looks like Breedlover has returned under a new nom de guerre. Here we go again.

Chicago12string.....

Dude, put some strings on that First Act in your av....

Show us some pics of your arsenal....

Post some clips, preferably something worth listening to...

And then we might - just might - begin to take you seriously. Until then, you're just a two-bit wanker wannabe unworthy of an Esteban.

• Members

I believe Chicago12Strings had a video up at the Martin forum, but it's been removed from youtube by him. He's pretty good, if he's the same guy.

Like I said, I think he's pulling legs and means not a bit of his Henderson critique. But it did get folks riled.

Internets. Serious business. Don't forget it.

122703d1243968671-i-find-highly-amusing-

• Members

Like I said, I think he's pulling legs and means not a bit of his Henderson critique. But it did get folks riled.

Ah, since I've never understood the point of trolling (childish activity that it is) I tend to miss it and take people seriously. Oh well. New resolution, ignore the stupid posts.

• Members

I believe Chicago12Strings had a video up at the Martin forum, but it's been removed from youtube by him. He's pretty good, if he's the same guy.

Internets. Serious business. Don't forget it.

122703d1243968671-i-find-highly-amusing-

HEY those look like the same two thugs that took my lunch money the other day

Archived