Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayne Henderson Guitars

Anyone have one, play(ed) one?
    Ever see one for sale?

I saw a show on PBS. Now I want one.
    "I never make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect." (Edward Gibbon)

"Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook." (Alan Morgan)

"Guitar Forums FAQ's: Why Not?"

Eagle River Manifesto on religion.

Troll-Alt-Delete

Never played one, but I see them for sale once in a while.

http://www.dreamguitars.com/preowned/henderson/henderson_d28_29/henderson_d-28_29.php
    Frog Rock Tenor Uke
    Frog Rock 00-12
    The thing with Chinese guitars is that when I play one, half an hour later I want to play it again... -- Knockwood
    If you know who wrote it, it ain't folk music. -- DHone
    Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts. -- Richard Feynman
    De recta non tolerandum sunt. -- Monty Python

Comment

Does not look like a very sophisticated builder to me. 16 grand? you have to be kidding

Comment

Does not look like a very sophisticated builder to me. 16 grand? you have to be kidding

What looks unsophisticated about it to you? Looks about like a dred should to me.
        But its all about the sound.
        Priced a pre-war 28 lately?
        The people who care about the certain sound of a powerful pre-war martin dred think very highly of them. Ive never heard one in person, but they are well respected by many old time and bluegrass professionals.

Comment

If you want to buy it new, it will cost you $25K+ and 10 years wait.
          ReviveMusicStore.com
          Authorized dealer of Yamaha, Voyage Air, LR Baggs and Fishman
          Contact me at info@revivemusicstore.com

Comment

$25k? I've heard it's more like $1k

To me he sounds like one of those hobo shed guitar builders from KY. There are probably hundreds like him..Shaping their guitar necks with a pocket knife.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZSb5_5eX3k

Comment

Check these out... maybe your opinion will change.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayne_Henderson_(luthier)
              http://www.roanoke.com/multimedia/crooked/grayson.html
              http://www.waynehenderson.org/Wayne/AboutWayne.htm
              ReviveMusicStore.com
              Authorized dealer of Yamaha, Voyage Air, LR Baggs and Fishman
              Contact me at info@revivemusicstore.com

Comment

The big city fella with the six useless extra strings needs to troll a little harder.

Comment

$25k? I've heard it's more like $1k

To me he sounds like one of those hobo shed guitar builders from KY. There are probably hundreds like him..Shaping their guitar necks with a pocket knife.

If it comes from Kentucky, its gotta be good.
                  "HAVE FUN, TRY NOT TO HURT ANYONE AND EAT PLENTY OF GREENS"

Comment

[QUOTE=chicago12string;40068505]$25k? I've heard it's more like $1k

[/QUOTE

Ah, they say ignorance is truly bliss. Perhaps you'd like to speak about that sometime. Or....

In any case. Wayne Henderson has been building guitars since he was ten years old. He's now in his 60's. He charges $1500 for a guitar because he wants his friends to be able to afford them. They're so highly prized though, that they re-sell for far, far, more than he charges to build them, and his waiting list is very long. TO make matters worse, he doesn't build by the list, but as impulse or preference drives him. See, he owns his own property free and clear, has a decent pension, and all the money he needs, so he can do it however he wants. (a simple man).

True, he may not be the most sophisticated guy in the world, but who the **************** cares? He's one hell of a guitar builder, and one hell of a picker too. Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFgw_pplZ-Q. WH playing a guitar he built. Personally, I've come to admire his attitude about it all, a modern day American zen master, afaic. So stfu ****************************.

Oh, by the way, there's nothing wrong with shaping a guitar neck with a pocketknife, so long as it's sharp and you know wtf your doing.

Comment

Have seen many Henderson guitars, been to his shop several times, picked and socialzed with him some. He's a funny smart and humble guy. He is a master craftsman, an artist, a magician with wood. You may find guitars as good as his, but you will find none better.

His home & shop are in Rugby, Va.

Comment

Wayne Henderson has been building guitars since he was ten years old. He's now in his 60's. He charges $1500 for a guitar because he wants his friends to be able to afford them. They're so highly prized though, that they re-sell for far, far, more than he charges to build them, and his waiting list is very long. TO make matters worse, he doesn't build by the list, but as impulse or preference drives him.

Oh, isn't that sweet. He charges $1500 for a guitar because he wants his friends to be able to afford them. Truly an American fairy tale.

You know who buys these guitars for $16k? Same people who bought dot-com stocks during the dot-com bubble. I know a guy with 5 brazilian Olsons- can't even strum a chord. He bought them on recommendation from a stock broker.
                        I'm sure he's searching for Henderson.

And to say that I may "find guitars as good as his, but none better" is just a ridiculous thing. People who built 300 guitars are nowhere near "master craftsman". FYI you need to build 300 guitars just to learn the basics. Talk to a real luthier sometimes. How's the intonation on this thing? Can you play beyond the 3 fret?

I buy my guitars from real masters: Santa Cruz, Collings, Goodall & Tippin, not some hobo shed bluegrass artist. He may be good, but he ain't no master.

Comment

<<

Go ahead and let a little more line out troll.
                          We aint bitin.

Comment

Oh, isn't that sweet. He charges $1500 for a guitar because he wants his friends to be able to afford them. Truly an American fairy tale.

You know who buys these guitars for $16k? Same people who bought dot-com stocks during the dot-com bubble. I know a guy with 5 brazilian Olsons- can't even strum a chord. He bought them on recommendation from a stock broker.
                            I'm sure he's searching for Henderson.

And to say that I may "find guitars as good as his, but none better" is just a ridiculous thing. People who built 300 guitars are nowhere near "master craftsman". FYI you need to build 300 guitars just to learn the basics. Talk to a real luthier sometimes. How's the intonation on this thing? Can you play beyond the 3 fret?

I buy my guitars from real masters: Santa Cruz, Collings, Goodall & Tippin, not some hobo shed bluegrass artist. He may be good, but he ain't no master.

Pics of your stable? oke:
                            "I never make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect." (Edward Gibbon)

"Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook." (Alan Morgan)

"Guitar Forums FAQ's: Why Not?"

Eagle River Manifesto on religion.

Troll-Alt-Delete

Comment

Chicago 12-string:

That guitar in your avatar doesn't seem to have any strings on it. You should really put strings on them before you play them.

Comment

Working...
                              X