What To Do With A Wet Guitar?

Elias Graves

• Members

How much water? Like submerged? Did water get inside? Was it in a case? How long was it really wet before you got to it? If the case lining was saturated, that's one thing. But if you had to pour water out the soundhole that's another.

Best advice I got is to put it on a hanger or stand somewhere out of direct sunlight, where there's good air circulation, away from the heat/AC vents, and let it dry on it's own. And yes, I'd slack off the string tension. I'd let it sit for a good two weeks, but ask a luthier about it. Right now. Maybe keep a box fan running in the room, but don't force the drying.

Man, this is the kind of thing we all have nightmares about. We'll be hoping for the best.

• Members

It was on a stand. The rain started at 4 am so it started leaking on it sometime around then. I found it much later.

Looks like it dripped (or poured) onto the headstock, fretboard and body. I poured maybe two cups of water out of it. The water had been in there like 8 or 9 hours.

I'm seeing a lot of damage. I can clearly see ripples in the back corresponding to the braces.

The spruce top has swollen to the point of cracking the thick poly finish and it looks as though the back is starting to delaminate.

I don't think she's gonna make it. Just glad it wasn't my Silvertone.

EG

• Members

I'd remove the strings. If water got inside the tension could pull things like braces off by destroying glue joints. Personally I would CAREFULLY air it out with a hair dryer on a very low setting to get out the free standing water entirely and then just leave it on a stand to air out the rest of the way.

Your mileage may vary.

• Members

From the bad comes the good, I suppose.

The replacement has been located and ordered. I found a black 5th Avenue locally, new with hard case for $400.

I put it on layaway last night. Gotta sell off a few other things to get enough extra to pay for it, but totally worth it.

Anybody need an Epi Alleykat?

EG

• Members

I now have the answer on what to do with a wet guitar.

Fill it full of uncooked rice! My mother in law suggested it. I thought she was nuts. With all the damage to that thing, it was lost.

Anyway, I pulled it out of a closet where we had it and looked it over. There are certainly visible battle scars all over it but the swelling and warping seemed to be gone.

I strung it up last night. In fact, it sounds BETTER than it did before! I'm completely floored and very happy.

This guitar did have a bad problem of being overly bright when played with a pick but that's gone now. It sounds much more balanced than it did.

Perhaps there's more truth to the "throw it in the pond" advice than we know.....

EG

• 7 years later...
  • Members

Central Florida, many trees. %100 humidity every morning, lucky if it drops below %70. Mine, on stand, absorbed so much it got belly bulge and popped off the bridge. I ordered the right glue and clamp, but needed to dry it before repair. To let you know how quickly it can change, I put it out in the intense sun for a few hours and the bulge flattened out. After, I bought the dessicant packs and kept it in the case, a pain, but also a must. I did find that they can be renewed by putting in 350 oven for 30 mins. I see some in other topics claim theirs is high quality and does not absorb, FALSE. All wood does it, and mahogany is common and the worst known for water absorption. Hygrometers are cheap, $10, The accuracy is questionable from one to another, but ball park should help. If you live in one of the rare areas like Florida, use the methods, or severe damage will occur. .

• Members

Not to hijack the thread or anything but water is wet. That's one of its characteristics.

My wife and I walked on a local beach Saturday around dusk. New experience for her - I do it

a few times a week.

I asked her if the water was cold. She put her hand in it. She looked at me and said,

"Ooh, very wet".

She was serious. But how wet is it? That's always the question, whether it's guitars, women or socks you're dealing with.

• Members
Not to hijack the thread or anything but water is wet. That's one of its characteristics. . . .

. . . But how wet is it? That's always the question, whether it's guitars, women or socks you're dealing with.

Reminds me of that old song lyric:

The river is wet, the desert is dry

And you're confused, on which way to fly

So I've come here to help you stand pat

And lead you out of the laundromat, so

Come on and get a free dry (free dry)

Come on don't sit here and cry

Come on and get a free dry . . .

Reminds me of that old song lyric:

The river is wet, the desert is dry

And you're confused, on which way to fly

So I've come here to help you stand pat

And lead you out of the laundromat, so

Come on don't sit here and cry

I lol'd. :lol::philthumb:

However, if I may, I'd suggest a slight mod to the chorus so it matches the original number of syllables more closely:

Come on don't sit around and cry

;):idea::wave:

Archived