iTune money

tbry

• Members

What acoustic music would you buy on iTunes with a 25.00 gift cert..Saw someone mention Wilco and Old Crow Med show...those are good choices...any others you would buy and listen to on a regular basis?

• Members

Laura Veirs - Where Are You Driving

The Decemberists - The Hazards Of Love 4 (The Drowning)

Colin Meloy - Red Right Ankle

Belle & Sebastian - Is It Wicked Not To Care

The Shins - Young Pilgrims

Best 5 bucks you'll ever spend!

I'm gonna do a sneek preview on iTunes for these...

• Members

I don't know if you'd like her, but I've really been won over by Laura Veirs, too. (She's easy to hear/see on YouTube.)

It's so unusual for me to find contemporary pop I like that I'm continually pleased to find myself enjoying her stuff when it comes up in my everyday playlist. Funny thing was, first tune I heard from her, maybe last year some time, had some noticeably awkward vocal retuning and I almost didn't bother listening again... But now I have pretty much all her stuff in that daily playlist (it's up to 4000 songs or so, so it's not like her four or five albums come up every other tune or anything). I think, however, that I nuked the one tune with the obvious A-T. That sound just bugs the holy heck out of me. (Makes it hard to watch my favorite musical TV show, Glee, I gotta tell you. :D )

• Members

I don't know if you'd like her, but I've really been won over by Laura Veirs, too. (She's easy to hear/see on YouTube.)

It's
so
unusual for me to find contemporary pop I like that I'm continually pleased to find myself enjoying her stuff when it comes up in my everyday playlist.

So far she has a bit of appeal...different for sure...July Flame sounds good...

The other choices so far haven't really spun my prop but maybe the Decembrist...Still, Wilco and OCMS are the best I've heard of recent vintage.

Yeah, I've listened to several of Laura Veirs now...Her songs are good, I like her.

• Members

I'm definitely a Wilco fan, too. Not always so acoustic -- but then, neither is Veirs.

Ah... I got one! :idea:

The Ditty-Bops.

Very acoustic oriented, quirky, intelligent songs, fine singing and playing from the two girls and their back up band, an arch, retro-forward hipster feel... I find it very appealing. Some of their songs crack me up. Some really grab me...

On the male side, a guy with at great voice and a mostly acoustic, roots country feel, is Otis Gibbs.

• Members

Todd Snider is always fun, especially if you can pick-and-choose tracks and avoid his overreaching ballads/political diatribes.

Give me two or three songs you like...

• Members

I was gonna say Modest Mouse, too, because I really love a lot of their stuff -- and they do use acoustic guitars and -- crucially -- banjo :D -- but then, overall, the way it all comes together, while certainly folk and folk rock influenced, is pretty post-modern. (And then there's the shameful squashing of their mixes. Although, as I recall, their latest backed way off on that front. But the one before -- eeyow! I wanted to listen but I think I made it all the way through twice -- but it was torture most of the way through.)

• Members

Give me two or three songs you like...

Beer Run and Conservative, Christian, Whitebread Republican, Straight, White, American Male are probably his two biggest "hits". Statistician's Blues and Doublewide Blues are both good. I'm blanking. I'll do some research.

EDIT: "Tension" and "I Can't Complain" are both good, too.

Gillian Welch is another must-have--I saw someone mentioned the David Rawlings Machine, which is kind of the inverse band to GW.

• Members

I heard a Honda (car) commercial recently that had a catchy tune, and I googled to find out it is by a chick named Ellem. It's called "Inside Still Beats". If I had a $25 iTunes credit, I would probably use $9.99 of it to purchase her album.

[YOUTUBE]aa__YtdM_A4[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

The Swell Season -- Falling Slowly, Once, In These Arms

The Frames -- Lay Me Down

Django -- Minor Swing, Djangology, Swing 42

Low Anthem -- Charlie Darwin, To Ohio

Blind Willie Johnson -- Dark Was The Night Cold Was The Ground

Lightin' Hopkins -- just about anything (really)

Leo Kottke -- Vaseline Machine Gun

Iron & Wine -- Southern Anthem

Josh Ritter -- You Don't Make It Easy, Come And Find Me (acoustic only versions are available, but the original tracs have acoustic)

Carla Bruni -- Quelqu'un m'a dit

Tryo -- Monsieur Bibendum

Triton -- L'isle Maurice

Ry Cooder -- Fool For A Cigarette/Feelin' Good

Townes Van Zandt -- Rake, If I Needed You

Archived