Behringer ACX450 Review

Starrshine

• Members

I mentioned in another thread that I got this amp earlier this week. So far I find the quality of the amp to be good and the sound quite decent for a small amp. I am using a Dimarzio soundhole pickup in my Guild and one of those stick on bottle cap piezo for my mando and they both have a fairly acceptable sound. I am not terribly thrilled with vocal side; seems weak, but that could be my mic. Right now all that I have for mics are a couple of Realistic microphones made in the '60s that supposedly made by Shure. I bought them brand new off ebay a few years back, still in the original packaging.

What I see is that I think that I will outgrow this amp rather quickly due to the lack of being able to plug other things to it. I was looking thru some of my acquired things and I have a seven band equalizer, compressor, noise reducer, and even an old Tascam DA-30. Stuff that I got for free that could be fun to incorporate. I suppose that I could daisy chain them in?

Effects in the amp are all pre-set and other than some of the reverb, they don't do a whole lot for me. But, all in all, not a bad deal for the price. Haven't really cranked it up since my wife isn't too fond of loud stuff. (If I get beyond two on the gain she starts complaining).

Bob

• Members

I was looking thru some of my acquired things and I have a seven band equalizer, compressor, noise reducer, and even an old Tascam DA-30. Stuff that I got for free that could be fun to incorporate. I suppose that I could daisy chain them in?

I think the compressor helps a lot when amplifying an acoustic. It tames some of the dynamics and helps you concentrate on other things. Maybe you would try that. Give this amp some time and you will get to know it better and come to enjoy it even as you learn all of its limitations.

I have some Radio-Shack/Realistic microphones, too! I think they're okay!

Greg

• Members

A bit of an update as I progress thru this new adventure:lol: Yesterday afternoon I bugged out of my work early (since my workers didn't work, some boss I am!). Anyway, I hooked the compressor into the amp and it made a huge difference. The compressor that I have, a dbx 166A, has two inputs so I can run both voice and guitar thru it. I am still tweaking it, but it is great. I also am now running my Zoom thru a small amp into a graphic equalizer and, then, into the ACX450, which has an input for a cd player in the back. Thinking that I can run one of my laptops thru this too. The Zoom did not have enough power within itself and now it does. Looks like it is becoming a pretty good setup.

Bob

Archived