Shot down by guitar salesman (Martin D-35 related)

Christhee68

• Members

Last week I was in my local music store. I usually go in at least once a month just to check things out and chat with a guy I know there.

I noticed that they are now a Martin dealer, and they had a couple of nice ones hanging up behind the counter (D28, D35, Performing Artist Series).

I say to the sales guy (my "friend"), "Hey, I see you guys are carrying Martins now."

Salesguy: "Yep."

"You know, my grandfather played a Martin. He had more than one, but his favorite was the D-35. When he died a couple of years ago all his guitars seemed to disappear."

Salesguy:"Bummer, man. That's too bad."

"I've always wanted a D-35; I see you've got one up there."

Salesguy: "Yep."

"Playing one of those sure would bring back some great memories of my Grandfather, God rest his soul."

Salesguy: "Yep; they're nice."

Pulling a pick out of my pocket: "I sure would like to try that one."

(Pointing up) "I bet that one sounds really good; I sure would like to have my own some day. I'd want to try it out first, though."

:confused:

• Members

Huh. Sounds kind of goofy to me. It'd be awfully hard to sell a guitar if you never let anyone try it out :confused:.

Maybe he had dibs on it, like Neil said. Maybe he had orders from on high . . . don't let anyone play it unless they're either driving a BMW or wearing a Rolex to put up for collateral, or something like that.

• Members

Guitar stores hate you unless you buy something. And then will they still respect you the next morning?

I was at a guitar shop today. Cute saleschick comes up and asks me if I'm looking for anything. "No, I just want to poke at the nice guitars you have here." Yes, that's how I flirt.

Later I was gawking at their Koa ukes. And she said to me "you're just poking at all kinds of things today, aren't you?"

Was she flirting with me? I don't think so. :(

• Members

Yea I can understand his reluctance to pull it down right away...but to avoid even talking about the guitar ("yep, they're nice") seems kind of stupid on his part. But you probably looked like a long shot as far as a real sale. Next time wear nice clothes and flash cash. BTW there's some guy who's asking $1,700 for a new Martin D-28 in this forum. I bet he'd let you play it if you showed up at his doorstep.

• Members

It takes me back to 1967. I was at Music House in the Harundale Mall. They had a $100 Decca acoustic 12-string that I wanted to try and to buy. They were very reluctant to take it down off the wall for me. They finally relented, I tried it and bought it for cash money. My friends would walk in there and try out Gibson, Fender, and Gretsch guitars in Vox amps with no problem, even though it was rather sure they weren't going to buy a damned thing. :confused:

No understanding the mind of a music store employee, I guess.

• Members

Basically if you have a storeman being helpful then with myself anyhow

he has more chance of a sale..if he isnt helpful then ill just walk

and go elsewhere..Personally in my time with going into guitar store/s ive been able to play anyone guitar be it Martin Taylor Yamaha Tanglewood

And never bought any..but if i get GAS id possibly go back and buy

as remember they were fair towards me beforehand

in otherwords you treat people in how you are treated :)

• Members

I just went back in there, looking for a gig bag for my daughter's new guitar.

He found one "in the back" that would fit her guitar.

I noticed $39.99 on the tag.

"That's a little more than I want pay; I was hoping you had something about $20."

"Let me see what else we have."

He goes back in the back and is gone for a couple of minutes and then he comes out with the same bag.

"What do you know, this one's on sale for $19.99"

SOLD.

While he was ringing it up, I said "I see you still have that D-35 up there; I might as well check that out while I'm here."

"Uhh...yeah sure; let me get the stepladder. And move these boxes out of the way. And put this trash can over here. Gee, that sure is way up there..."

Anyway, I got to try the D-35 and all it cost me was $20.

When I was finished, I handed it back to him. He climbed up the ladder to put it back on its hanger.

As he got to the top, I said "Hey isn't that an HD-28 right next to it?"

I also got to try the HD-28.:D

• Members

We have a 66 Brizilian D-35 you are welcome to come play if you get to Alabama :poke: . I think the store guy didn't want to go to the trouble of getting the D-35 down from it's perch the first time you were in .

• Members

I try to cut some stores some slack- small stores especially, but yes- it's kind of annoying. I remember when I was younger (probably around 20) and I wanted to try some basses out- and I asked to try some thing or another and the person asked me if I really wanted to BUY the bass or if I was just playing around with it. :rolleyes: I told them that I was interested in buying "something" but I didn't know what I wanted yet- and how could I know unless I played a few things:confused: It seemed to annoy them for some reason.

I mean, I was an adult, looking to buy, that they might have been able to sell me on something, but I never did spend any money in that store. Other stores were more like "Sit down and if you don't mind, take your watch off so you don't scratch it- but what can I get down for you to try out?" which made much more sense.

Archived