NGD... almost

bfloyd6969

• Members

Well, it's on the FedEx truck. Getting a used Johnson Carolina JO 26, 000 sized solid engleman over solid mahogany. Can't wait, they've been dubbed close to a 000-18V. 24.9" scale length and 1.8" nut width. Here's some pics from the seller. I'll take more and post a small review once I get it next week... :)

1.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

• Members

Thanks all. From what I understand, the Carolinas, RK's and SC's are essentially the same guitar, no?

I like the neck mod you did on yours, gitnoob. I am not a fan of the blingy headstock on the JO 26 and was wanting to remove the inlay layer. Did you just sand by hand? If so, what grits did you use and did you refinish with Tru-oil? Also, were the tuner replacements you used (I believe you used the Wilkinsons?) a direct fit? Are they a good improvement over the stock tuners? Thanks.

• Members

They're pretty close. The Johnsons may be more lightly braced from what I've heard.

I used an orbital sander to take off the headstock overlay. But it was part of my neck shaping project, so I didn't have to worry about the finish. I think I started with 100-grit and worked my way through to some very fine -- maybe 1200.

The Wilkinsons are a direct fit, except that only one of the screw holes will be aligned, so you'll need to drill for the second hole. And, yes, they're smoother and better looking, but the originals worked fine for me.

• Members

"Almost" came early!! What a nice holiday surprise to see the FedEx truck pull up a few days early... two days from Florida to Ohio, not bad. I admit that this is my first short scale 000 size guitar - and I love it!! I have been a dread player for quite some time and when I first pulled this little thing from its case, I was thinking no way could any serious tone come from this - boy was I wrong. I played some dreads that had less a big tone as this little guy. Very full, very balanced, quite loud, and there is a hint of "boom" in there, which I suspect is from the light bracing. I am not a fingerstyle player at all, as I use a flatpick for everything. I'm not much of a 'grasser (though I try :)), but I still flatpick just about everything (along with the combination of flatpick and fingerstyle for some blues stuff), and I could not overdrive this guitar's top. It takes the flatpick just as good as a dread. Mind you, I'm not the heaviest handed of flatpick users, but it held up fine just the same. All in all, I believe I may be a 000, OM convert. It just feels so comfortable in my lap, and the 1.8" nut width is very comfy. This is a very nice guitar, and a shame they were discontinued. Sure, they were replaced by the RK's, and the SC's are close as well, but these JO's were some nice guitars. Now the search begins for a JO 27 :). Here's some more pics taken today:

002.jpg

004.jpg

008.jpg

012.jpg

014.jpg

017.jpg

019.jpg

022.jpg

• Members

Congrats on your little Johnson! :)

I can tell just by that sound hole shot that the bracing is different than the Silver Creeks. If you ever get adventurous, take some pictures of the top braces and/or make some aluminum foil impressions and measure the thickness and height.

Or buy a Silver Creek and directly compare. Now I'm curious!

• Members

Well, it's on the FedEx truck. Getting a used Johnson Carolina JO 26, 000 sized solid engleman over solid mahogany. Can't wait, they've been dubbed close to a 000-18V. 24.9" scale length and 1.8" nut width. Here's some pics from the seller. I'll take more and post a small review once I get it next week...
:)

1.jpg

That's weird ...

• Members

You could tell that? I was just looking at the soundhole shot of your Silver Creek and they looked similar to me...

It may just be the angle of your shot, but the SC upper-most back brace is about 1/4" below the top of the sound hole, and yours looks like it's about an inch lower. Minor difference, but it suggests that they changed the bracing as they revised the models.

Either an inspection mirror or a web cam that you can drop in the sound hole should allow you to take pictures of your bracing.

• Members

That's weird ...

Ha ha, funny!!

Thanks Tartanlad, I like it alot!

I'll get some pics when I change the strings next, Gitnoob. You got me curious now as well :), seeing how it may be a bit difficult to locate a used JO 27, and the RO 27's and T 170's are being made today...

• Members

Ha ha, funny!!

Thanks Tartanlad, I like it alot!

I'll get some pics when I change the strings next, Gitnoob. You got me curious now as well
, seeing how it may be a bit difficult to locate a used JO 27, and the RO 27's and T 170's are being made today...

Nothing staged I swear ... I was like WTH?

I almost forgot Coolgrats

• Members

I have a Johnson Carolina Series ll JO27, which is apparently their take on on the 000 28 EC.

Frankly I wouldn't want to pay the difference in price for any difference in sound. Sometimes it is just nice to have something that punches above its weight, but doesn't have so much money in it that you need to be paranoid around it.

So, even though lightly braced, it is staying where it lives, on a stand in the living room to be picked up, played and enjoyed whenever.

• Members

I have a Johnson Carolina Series ll JO27, which is apparently their take on on the 000 28 EC.

Frankly I wouldn't want to pay the difference in price for any difference in sound. Sometimes it is just nice to have something that punches above its weight, but doesn't have so much money in it that you need to be paranoid around it.

So, even though lightly braced, it is staying where it lives, on a stand in the living room to be picked up, played and enjoyed whenever.

I envy you - my hunt for a JO 27 began right after I played my JO 26 for the first time :)

Thanks to everyone. I am enjoying it very much.

• Members

Small world!

Since this is my thread, I can go off topic a bit here :) Any of you Columbus guys try either Dave Bush Guitar Works or Fifth Avenue Fret Shop for guitar set up and/or repair work? I haven't been in the area too long and am looking for a good luthier/guitar tech...

Back on topic - the pictures that I have been seeing online of this guitar shows a different sized pickguard. The original owner didn't mention that the pickguard has been changed, but the one on my guitar seems to be very nice... almost Greven looking...

• Members

Gitnoob - I need to get a decent HSC. Is it safe to assume that this Silver Creek 000 case will fit the JO 26? Thanks.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Silver-Creek-Vintage-Archtop-000-Auditorium-Acoustic-Guitar-Case?sku=542041

Edit: Nevermind, I found the case sizes on the specs tab...

Do most classical guitar cases fit the 000 and OM sized guitars?

• Members

Gitnoob - I need to get a decent HSC. Is it safe to assume that this Silver Creek 000 case will fit the JO 26? Thanks.

Edit: Nevermind, I found the case sizes on the specs tab...

Do most classical guitar cases fit the 000 and OM sized guitars?

I bought the SKB-000 for my Parkwood. It fits nicely.I put a towel under the neck because the body of the Parkwood is just slightly shallower than the case was designed to accommodate (heel of the neck is cut a little different than a lot of grand auditorium gits). The body fits like a glove.

Archived