Wrist Pain

SkippyX

• Members

I'm curious about something.

Lately I've been experiencing a pain in my wrist (on top, not the underside) on my fretting hand. It reminds me of the tendonitis that I have on the insides of my elbows. If I hold a telephone to my ear too long the insides of my elbows start to ache.

The wrist on my fretting hand is the only side that hurts, and it's worse after I practice/play for an extended period of time. I suspect that I've got some tendonitis going on in there.

So, does anyone here have any experience with that? If so, what did you do to alleviate the problem?

• Members

I have the same problem. Try holding your guit in the classical position - that is, if you are right-handed, let the body rest on your left leg. This will change your entire posture and also change your wrist angle. You might also try elevating the headstock a little when you play. The idea is to change the wrist angle every so often. Hope this helps. :wave:

• Members

:lol::wave:

Thing is a have tae hold on with both.. -ANDS
:wave:

Dream on, laddie, dream on.............:rolleyes:

You may have to hold it with both hands but the Welsh men have to walk with a bucket strapped-on, to keep it from dragging on the ground!.....:poke:

• Members

I experience very bad wrist pain depending on which guitar I play. I have found that some neck profiles hurt worse than others, thus I tend to play the guitars that hurt less. My experience sounds very similar to yours. One of the sports elbow injuries (golfers or tennis, I forget which) that I have as well is caused from a work related RSI. It hurst on the inside of my elbow. I find that my wrist pain is worse when my elbow is hurting more. My doctor told me that the wrist pain is from the elbow-itis as it is all connected together. My wrist pain lies on the inside of my wrist, the same side of my thumb. What helps me is to play with an elbow-itis sports strap, just below my elbow. This actually lets me play pain free and I recommend it. Other than that, ibuprophen helps to reduce the inflamation as I'm sure PT would as well. I haven't been to any PT so I can't comment on that for sure. It still bugs me how some neck profiles hurt worse than others...

• Members

Dream on, laddie, dream on.............
:rolleyes:

You may have to hold it with both hands but the Welsh men have to walk with a bucket strapped-on, to keep it from dragging on the ground!.....:poke:

Ive whats known as a Caber here in Scotland and as soon as a enter the Gents in ma local they all move to the side and say here's the caber coming Lads.. give the Caber more room as they do

The welsh men walk about with a rather small Leek attached :poke:

• Members

I experience very bad wrist pain depending on which guitar I play. I have found that some neck profiles hurt worse than others, thus I tend to play the guitars that hurt less. My experience sounds very similar to yours. One of the sports elbow injuries (golfers or tennis, I forget which) that I have as well is caused from a work related RSI. It hurst on the inside of my elbow. I find that my wrist pain is worse when my elbow is hurting more. My doctor told me that the wrist pain is from the elbow-itis as it is all connected together. My wrist pain lies on the inside of my wrist, the same side of my thumb. What helps me is to play with an elbow-itis sports strap, just below my elbow. This actually lets me play pain free and I recommend it. Other than that, ibuprophen helps to reduce the inflamation as I'm sure PT would as well. I haven't been to any PT so I can't comment on that for sure. It still bugs me how some neck profiles hurt worse than others...

Hope you get pain-free soon with yer hands :thu:

• Members

Ive whats known as a Caber here in Scotland and as soon as a enter the Gents in ma local they all move to the side and say here's the caber coming Lads.. give the Caber more room as they do

The welsh men walk about with a rather small Leek attached :poke:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

• Members

I generally do play in the classical position - My logic is that there must be a reason that the classical players assume that posture - and there are some insanely intricate classical pieces out there.

Yes, there is - with the guitar balanced bewteen the legs, with the foot stool leg up higher, it creates a natural balance of the guitar freeing up the fretting hand to fly up and down the neck when needed.

• Members

Just a thought - if none of these suggestions work for you, you may want to try lightening up your thumb pressure on the back of the neck. I have found that the harder I press down with my thumb, the more stress it puts on those muscles in the back of my wrist. Also, all drug stores sell those wrist braces put out by ACE, with the velcro closure for adjustment. It might be worth the investment. I sure hope that you find the solution to your problem (and mine). If you do, please post it, OK?

• Members

I'm curious about something.

Lately I've been experiencing a pain in my wrist (on top, not the underside) on my fretting hand. It reminds me of the tendonitis that I have on the insides of my elbows. If I hold a telephone to my ear too long the insides of my elbows start to ache.

The wrist on my fretting hand is the only side that hurts, and it's worse after I practice/play for an extended period of time. I suspect that I've got some tendonitis going on in there.

So, does anyone here have any experience with that? If so, what did you do to alleviate the problem?

I skimmed the post so if someone metioned this forgive me for repeating it.

IIRC, D.Erlewine wrote in his book that sometimes jumbo frets help relieve the pain.

I think my difficulties with Linux may be related to my partitioned harddrive. I have gone off in 3 different directions since I started fooling around with it; only one computer related.

• Members

To the OP, I ran across this while linked to the first wrist pain article. Do you think it could be wrist arthritis? Click on the picture to get a bigger view of the area of the wrist where effected. This is where I get my pain. I wonder if this could be what I suffer from...:

http://www.ehow.com/facts_5637404_treatments-arthritis-wrist-pain.html

• Members

Do you think it could be wrist arthritis?

Holy Crap. I sincerely hope it's not arthritis.

That's one of my big fears. I didn't get back into playing until I was 42. Now I'm 45 and I love playing my guitar. I damned sure hope I don't get arthritis.

I am a little worried about it because it is occurring in the back/top of my wrist and not on the underside of it - like typists wind up w/ carpal tunnel. Carpal tunnel is a pain, but there is surgery for it. If it's arthritis I'm basically screwed. I'll need to take up stamp collecting or ritual masturbation or something for a hobby - and that doesn't seem nearly as fulfilling to me.

• Members

If I find one that works for me I'll be sure to post it.

You're likely correct. I'll take a few days off and see how it goes first.

Holy Crap. I sincerely hope it's not arthritis.

That's one of my big fears. I didn't get back into playing until I was 42. Now I'm 45 and I love playing my guitar. I damned sure hope I don't get arthritis.

I am a little worried about it because it is occurring in the back/top of my wrist and not on the underside of it - like typists wind up w/ carpal tunnel. Carpal tunnel is a pain, but there is surgery for it. If it's arthritis I'm basically screwed. I'll need to take up stamp collecting or ritual masturbation or something for a hobby - and that doesn't seem nearly as fulfilling to me.

Think the Latter would make you weaker Skippy :confused:

bfloyd

Best to rest when you have a pain in the hand area i guess and hope it goes away and if not only a visit to yer Doc shall hopefully find out the true extent of the injury or what ever it maybe ? Hopefully its not to bad though :thu:

Archived