ToneRite

missedmyexit

• Members

Yeah, the last time, I've seen it, it was called a "membrane air pump" in the fishtank department of my MaxiZoo just around the corner.

Was a bit cheaper, tho - about 10 quid.

Oh and you had to cut and glue your own rubber parts, which were about 2 quid.

Dunno, why they charge 150 bucks for it...

• Members

It has been greatly discussed at the tech section of UMGF and AGF (which I hardly visit). Opinions vary. It is a modern version of the shaker table and/or putting your guitar in front of a subwoofer and playing loud music at is school of thought. Which segways directly into the old discussion about how (or do) guitars "open up" and what does that all mean.

I believe that as far as "proof" is concerned, there were some before and after postings, but frankly I've been too busy playing my guitars to pay any attention.

http://theunofficialmartinguitarforum.yuku.com/topic/102127/t/A-good-Tonerite-Method.html

http://theunofficialmartinguitarforum.yuku.com/topic/102810/t/Tonerite-report.html

http://theunofficialmartinguitarforum.yuku.com/topic/101596/t/Is-this-ToneRite-thing-for-real-or-have-I-missed-the-news.html

many others....

• Members

I actually talked in-person to one of the high-profile endorsees of the ToneRite.

His more nuanced assessment was that it worked well for some instruments and did nothing for others. If the guitar already has the potential for better tone, then the Tonerite will do the job of "playing-in" the guitar. That's about it.

It does NOT accelerate the wood aging process which actually changes the structure of the wood. This is the process of the guitar "opening-up". Yamaha seems to have been able to develop a process for this but it is reserved only for their highest-end instruments that come from its Hamamatsu facility.

This device may be useful for guitar collectors who have a lot of instruments and little time to play all of them in.

• Members

I was curious, but not $150 worth of curious. So, I jury rigged an aquarium pump to the strings, using a mini-bungee cord. Butted it up to the saddle. I should have posted pics when I was experimenting, but never took any. I'm sure the pump could be affixed in a number of other ways, as well.

I went into detail in another thread, about the process and effects on 3-4 of my guitars. It unquestionably altered the tone of all of them to varying degrees, including a couple hanging on the same triple stand, apparently through sympathetic vibration through the stand. When the pump was plugged in, all three guitars were "humming". I was going to wire in a rheostat to control intensity, but decided to go ahead without it.

The commercial version is certainly more user friendly and adjustable, but I obtained positive results for about $12. The concept is definitely not snake oil.

• Members

It unquestionably altered the tone of all of them to varying degrees...

How did you determine that the tone was altered?

I'm a skeptic. I don't trust my memory of tone, especially over a few days.

HOWEVER....

Somebody just lent me one of these devices. :)

So, I plan to take a tap tone before and after, and I'll look at the spectrum analysis of each open string before and after. I suppose I could record a short tune before and after as well.

Anything else I should do as part of my tonerite experiment? Or does somebody already have some hard data?

• Members

It seems like something your local setup man could offer: "Hey, would you like me to add a ToneRite to your setup for $20?" Not selling the unit, but just using it during the setup process?

What are the odds that the setup guy does absolutely nothing and yet the owner says "Wow! It sounds so much better! That Tonerite thing works!"

:facepalm:

Actually, that might be the best way to do a blind test.

• Members

How did you determine that the tone was altered?

I'm a skeptic. I don't trust my memory of tone, especially over a few days.

HOWEVER....

Somebody just lent me one of these devices.
:)

So, I plan to take a tap tone before and after, and I'll look at the spectrum analysis of each open string before and after. I suppose I could record a short tune before and after as well.

Anything else I should do as part of my tonerite experiment? Or does somebody already have some hard data?

All subjective, as tone is by nature. The changes were subtle for the most part and a couple perhaps debatable as "placebo effect". I am not scientifically inclined, so did not treat this as a lab experiment.

I have a fair amount of confidence in my aural memory (at least as to these guitars) as well as my impression of the before and after sound. Some of this is attributable to the aging of the strings as well, I suppose. Even after replacing strings and allowing them time to wear in, there was a noticeable difference in tone on all treated guitars. More resonance.

I think you need to leave the unit running on the guitar for at least 6-7 days for any significant impact. 3 days steady, made any tone alteration difficult to perceive at all.

I did record a couple of them before the treatment, but of course forgot to do so afterward (changed strings too, which would have invalidated any comparison).

Just relating my experience. Not trying to prove a hypothesis.

• Members

Yeah, I'm not questioning your perception -- just my own. :)

OK, I just started that annoying 60Hz hum a few minutes ago -- set on max. I have recorded open strings plucked at both the sound hole and the 12th fret, took a tap tone, and recorded a short tune.

I'll record again after 3 days, and then again after 6 days.

• Members

I did record a couple of them before the treatment, but of course forgot to do so afterward (changed strings too, which would have invalidated any comparison).

When you consider that strings also get played-in, one can't help but wonder how much of any real change in tone is the guitar or the strings.

• Members

Just found this similar test over at AGF:

Also, the 60Hz hum from this thing is both strong and annoying. I may have to move the experiment into the garage. Not sure how people tolerate the noise. My entire office is now vibrating at 60Hz....

Yeah, you definitely don't want to spend a week in the same room with it.

• Members

Day 3 on the tonerite is complete.

I moved the experiment to the garage on day 1 because I have an intense dislike for the 60Hz hum.

When I took the guitar out of the garage, it had gone about 20 cents sharp, so I assume humidity is higher in the garage. The tap tone was also a bit higher, which is not what I'd expect.

So I'm going to let it acclimate for a few hours before I sample the sound again.

• Members

I know you've all been on the edge of your seats.... The results are in!

Test Guitar: Silver Creek T160 (unmodified, medium strings)

Tap Tone Before ToneRite: 216-224HZ

Tap Tone After ToneRite: 226Hz (high humidity?)

Tap Tone After ToneRite and After Acclimation: 218Hz

Spectrum Analysis of G3-12th fret before ToneRite:

x285l4.jpg

After ToneRite:

2lxuvsk.jpg

Open strings played at the sound hole and 12th fret before ToneRite:

http://www.box.net/shared/0oc2b6coeu

After ToneRite:

http://www.box.net/shared/6hmp206axy

• Members

Please interpret the results.
:)

I was hoping to just provide some data without commentary, but I would say that 3 days of tonerite had less effect than just the change in humidity between the house and the garage. Basically zip, nada, nothing I could really detect.

My guess is that people hear what they want to hear. I can personally attest to not playing a guitar for several days, and then picking it up again, and saying "Wow! Better than I remember."

Best case: this thing does something to some guitars after some duration, just not my guitar after three days.

Worst case: somebody is marketing a fish tank pump to guitar players for $150 and laughing at us.

• Members

Well.....philosophically speaking I'd have to say that if your guitar sounds better, more open and responsive to the player after having this treatment (even if it's only the placebo effect)....then GREAT!

Pretty much anything that enhances the satisfaction of playing is fine by me (wouldn't pay 150$ for it though...:lol:).

Next time I have a fight with my GF, I'll pop out to grab my guitar ("Hold that thought dear!") and set it up between us and let the sound wash over it (hopefully establishing some kind of 'sympathy moan' in the guitar...probably really good for playing blues afterwards!)......bet that'll go down REALLY well with my GF too.....:facepalm:

Archived