Flamenco guitar constantly going out of tune?

shinsengumi

• Members

I recently got a Yamaha CG171SF flamenco guitar new, and have been learning some techniques, etc. I restrung it with D'addario EJ45 I think, and for whatever reason after either some playing, or leaving the guitar overnight, the strings all invariably go flat by almost half a step. This is my first nylon-stringer, and I restrung it following some very thorough instructions....

Is this normal? My steel stringer doesn't do this, and neither do my electrics

• Members

It's been about 10 days. I didn't stretch them, I read that for Nylon strings it's best to let them settle...it seems like it's been long enough though..

10 days is a bit long.

Things that help minimize the stretch-in period:

1. minimize the number of wraps on the tuning roller

2. *gently* stretch each string down near the saddle to tighten up the knot on the tie block when you are tuning up for the first time

3. *gently* pull the string up (away from the fretboard) at the 12th fret when tuning up for the first time

When I do this, the guitar is playable after the first ~15 minutes of being brought to pitch with new strings. Maintenance tuning is needed for the first ~3 days.

• Members

10 days is a bit long.

Things that help minimize the stretch-in period:

1. minimize the number of wraps on the tuning roller

2. *gently* stretch each string down near the saddle to tighten up the knot on the tie block when you are tuning up for the first time

3. *gently* pull the string up (away from the fretboard) at the 12th fret when tuning up for the first time

When I do this, the guitar is playable after the first ~15 minutes of being brought to pitch with new strings. Maintenance tuning is needed for the first ~3 days.

I'm sure your experience with nylon string guitars is a lot better than mine, but I've never been able to get it down to THREE days. My experience has always been more like about a week, at least. And I'm doing all the same things when installing new strings and tuning up. I use high tension strings. Next time I think I'll buy SUPER high tension!

• Members

I'm sure your experience with nylon string guitars is a lot better than mine, but I've never been able to get it down to THREE days. My experience has always been more like about a week, at least. And I'm doing all the same things when installing new strings and tuning up. I use high tension strings. Next time I think I'll buy SUPER high tension!

Good point about strings. Nylon takes a while to stretch in, but other materials, for example whatever is used in Galli "Titanio" strings, allows the string to come up to pitch extremely fast. I've tried them and was amazed at that quality. Unfortunately, I didn't care for the sound. Oh well, guess you can't have your cake and eat it too in the world of nylon string guitars.

Archived