ORANJE BOVEN

Stackabones

• Members

Here in Roma they're all nuts about soccer. Every bar is like Superbowl Sunday when there's a game on. They all are disgusted with the home team of course.

Me, I'd rather watch paint dry.
:bor:

Yeah, me too. Problem is, with today's paints, it's all over in a couple of hours. Damned soccer games seem to go on for days!!

• Members

Here in Roma they're all nuts about soccer. Every bar is like Superbowl Sunday when there's a game on. They all are disgusted with the home team of course.

Me, I'd rather watch paint dry.
:bor:

It's the same in the UK :facepalm: St George Cross flags hanging out of people's windows and on cars, soccer on TV all the {censored}ing time.

(Well - that was true until England were knocked out - now they want to castrate the team manager - yippee!)

Give me tiddlywinks anyday.

• Members

Yes!!!

(fortunately they show these soccer games at US television as well, since I'm in Michigan right now)

It used to be almost impossible to see it, except on the Spanish-language channels.

I spent a couple of summers in Groningen, so my heart is orange.

• Members

Oh Dear,

so you are now having to beat those Spaniards.

And I so much hoped, that we had to beat you in the Final.

But then, there is a good tradition of beating up the Spaniards in the Netherlands ... go and get them.

:facepalm:I never ever imagined wishing the Dutch soccer team the best of luck:facepalm:

• Members

It's the same in the UK
:facepalm:
St George Cross flags hanging out of people's windows and on cars, soccer on TV all the {censored}ing time.

(Well - that was true until England were knocked out - now they want to castrate the team manager - yippee!)

Give me tiddlywinks anyday.

Well have to say maybe St Georges Cross flags in Wales flying around

but certainly none whatsoever in Scotland here

Oh ye there was one i heard in the Daily Record Newspaper flying fae a car roof but not for long as flag was burned and the car ended up damaged also

Have to say i have no time for such myself and personally i would not do such a thing but also an English flag flying on a Scottish street isnt a wise thing to do i reckon

As for the Football its always been Scotlands No1 Sport and always shall be i imagine..though i much preferred football in days gone bye

to much players now with their sky-high wages think they are prima-donnas

And look at say the Italian team today look at the Dutch side,

the German side, the Argentina side, Brazilian side, English side etc

even my own Nations side whom nowadays finding it difficult to Qualify whereas in 74' for instance Scotland were the only UK side to Qualify for the World cup when in Germany and drew our three 1st round games

inc v Brazil and unluckily went out on goal difference in 1st round without losing a game Billy Bremner coming close to winning V Brazil near the end with secs to go so near and yet so far a remember

All these nations and many other nations i reckon were better teams yrs back for instance say in the 70s and no prima donnas among them

as none like today were made millionaires for kicking a ball around

Though these sides were better then than now a reckon

but there is some teams better now than then like your African sides

are getting a touch better ?

Your USA team now is better for sure but somehow you dont seem to get behind them as you maybe should, but then again it isnt your main Sport i know that

I now would prefer Holland winning the trophy because they have been

in 2 finals i know about both in 74' and 78' where they lost narrowly in both

so they are due a win..Spain i dont think have won the trophy either

but Holland to me being in final a cple times and narrowly losing out

a reckon deserve a win

also they are a smaller nation so id prefer them

to win it,but nothing against Spain winning either just want to see a gd game

of football by both sides, hopefully its not gonna be a damp squid type of game :bor:

Ps for the record That Dutch side whom reached the final in 78'

when held in Argentina a remember being in a night club that very night here

and Scotland took the lead with a cracking goal fae wee Archie Gemmill

whom went round half the Dutch side afore sticking the baw in the net :thu:

and then we were winning 3/1 v the best Holland

side there's ever been Cruyff, Neeskins, Repp, etc

and the whole of the night club were packed into the Hallway watching this small apportable tv..as word went around that Scotland needed anither

wan goal as we had to win by 3 clear goals to get through

which was asking a bit much as Holland were very gd then

have to say we were not a bad side them days either with Rough in goals, met him yrs later in 1990 a gd down to earth guy Roughy is

was much a better person than say Andy Gorum for sure whom was our keeper at one time

Anyhow we then had players like Dalglish Lorimer Souness Gemmill etc

it was as said 3/1 but then Holland scored a good goal and the score ended 3/2 for Scotland but our 2 previous games were a let down a draw and a loss v mediocre opposition as we were favs to win v these 2 sides in Iran and Peru

it ended in a shambles really..as we actually expected tae win the Cup that very year :)

Anyhow we beat the team whom got to the final v Argentina where that World cup was held and unfortunately Holland lost 3/2

So a want Holland to win this one as think they deserve a win :thu:

• Members

A agree nothing on but womens programmes soaps and all

But hey the World cup final is on this Sunday WOWee
:thu:

Can't wait. I think it'll be a great game and full of surprises -- especially since neither one has won a WC (and this is Spain's first trip to the big dance).

I thought I heard this tidbit the other day, but I haven't confirmed it -- no European team has won a WC outside of Europe. This'll be the first.

• Members

Can't wait. I think it'll be a great game and full of surprises -- especially since neither one has won a WC (and this is Spain's first trip to the big dance).

I thought I heard this tidbit the other day, but I haven't confirmed it -- no European team has won a WC outside of Europe. This'll be the first.

I think you are correct Stacka in that no European team has won the World cup

outside of Europe and this shall be the 1st time :thu:

Also is Spains 1st time in final also i think

personally id prefer Holland as i sais they have lost 2 World cup finals

in the 70s both 74' when in Germany and 78' in Argentina so maybe its gonna be 3rd time lucky ?

But i have no qualms about Spain either winning it

as be their 1st time also :)

As for cple people say football is :bor: well i reckon its because

the countries participating in such a big tourney are to frightened to lose

and its becoming tedious..whereas in say club football like say in

UK football its more end to end attacking and more so exciting to watch with both

Glasgow rivals Celtic V Rangers known as "The Old Firm"

one of the biggest derby games there is and certainly is a match for any and would have the hairs stand up on the back of yer necks fir sure.

• Members

There's a hell of a lot of good football played in Scottish Leagues and I think it's due to:

a: Good youth coaching, and

b: Great support from the fans on the terraces

The only problem is that a lot of the Scottish talent gets seduced away by the English Leagues and so they've got to have a constant team rebuilding programme

• Members

There's a hell of a lot of good football played in Scottish Leagues and I think it's due to:

The only problem is that a lot of the Scottish talent gets seduced away by the English Leagues and so they've got to have a constant team rebuilding programme

I think that's beginning to happen more frequently in the US, too. The better players are being lured to the European clubs, though I'm unsure how many US players are playing for the top clubs. It's great for American players, for they probably can make a bit more money and, especially, be involved in a football culture, one that isn't so casually hostile to the sport as many Americans are (as shown in various media outlets as well as in this thread). But it isn't so beneficial to American soccer in certain aspects, though it could help the national team like it has for Ghana.

• Members

Exactly i agree, though normally both Celtic and Rangers here tend to get

1st pick, but i admit nowadays many go to England because of the wealth of money they can make in England in the English Premiership for sure

though also now in the English 1st Div is a big money league

The one reason i think the English International team is not hitting it off now is i think there's to many top named foreign players now playing with the top sides in England and the younger talent in England are not getting much chance as say a team like Arsenal for instance pay say 16 million on a player then that expensive player bought wont stand down in the Managers eyes

for a young 18 yr old up and coming talent because they payed so much money out and the young talent isnt being given games to shine and are left to rot away i feel, the big mega-bucks are in England the now and been for a gd few yrs now

but in time this shall change as many top teams in England also are in big debt as i type and struggling to keep their feet

I admit the England International side were a gd team and were unlucky in the days of Maradonna hand of God and were possibly robbed that year

But these days money talks unfortunately in football and the young players are not getting the chance with their club sides and these young English players need to play for the experience of big games and in time develop into top players for their country

but money is stopping them with ready made in their prime foreign big names players coming into the Premiership

and same in Scotland with money with regards the big 2 sides

in both Celtic and Rangers as young local talent get fed up not getting so much games they eventually are sold to some English sides

or other Scottish teams

though the money is to a lesser extent as it is in England where the money has went way overboard

Actually Newcastle Utd are my fav English side but have been struggling recent yrs Malcolm McDonald was my fav Newcastle player but these guys then played for the jersey so unlike now reason i stopped going

Been inside St James Park once have foto taken at the tunnel

remember the statue outside ground also this was a few yrs back.

• Members

You've hit the nail spot on the head there TL! It's all about money and the sponsorship that provides it.

As it happens, I'm also a Newcastle supporter (for a long while!) and although he hasn't exactly endeared himself to the supporters, Mike Ashley has stated that he is no longer going to provide a pension pot for over the hill players (just look at the Michael Owen Fiasco -

Archived