Martin D-16rgt Or Guild Gad50?

AnalogMan13

• Members

I have a Brand New Guild gad 50E antique burst ive owned it for 3 months. I loved it at first and it does sound really great. But I dont like the fact that its kinda really loud airy?? I do singer songwriter stuff..Folk/outlaw country/rock etc..

Now i feel that its lacking something? It seems to be to dark/loud for my voice. Ive tried different strings.If i played bluegrass all day now id love this guitar. I mean it really blows you away its allot better than any gad 50 ive ever picked up. I also love the sound of it finger picked. I also wish it was american made..

Now ive heard great things online about Martin D-16RGT

Now its american made but has Micarta fretboard and bridge. Folks are saying it does not bother them. I could live with that if the guitars sound was more what i was looking for. Ive always wanted a martin. Have any of you guys played both? what do you think? :facepalm: I do see why allot of bluegrass players love that guild. Im not knocking Guild id love to own a jumbo and a f47.. But this gad is overpowering and not so balanced for singer songwriter stuff. I now ill be loosing money But i just want to have best friend to rely on..:thu:k

• Members

I've never played any of the Guild GAD's but have heard great things about them. OTOH I just bought a mahogany D-16GT and I never thought I'd own a mahogany dread but here it sits. I personally think it sounds better than the rosewood version but.

If money were no option I'd give a hard look at at least a used D-35 but if you have the funds for a D-16RGT then I'd recommend looking at the Guitar Center custom MMV (rosewood/spruce variant of the D-15) instead. IMO the MMV far outshines the D-16RGT because it's got a full gloss finish, real ebony bridge & fingerboard and oodles of tone. I'd go so far to say that it's nearly as good as the D-35 and (feel free to call me crazy here) but every one I've tried has edged out any HD-28 hanging nearby.

So in summary: D-16RGT

• Members

I think antique burst Guilds are the most desirable to own.

I understand how some players want a guitar that doesn't over-power.

I prefer my F65ce to my D60. The D60 is a cannon. It rumbles and it roars.

But I'd rather be playing the F65ce, unless I'm in a crowd of unplugged

players & need to be heard.

• Members

I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on a DC-16RGT Premium, and I've been comparing it to just about everything the stores in my city have, including an MMG, GAD-50, and equivalent Taylors (300, 400, D3/4/5 series). I initially went into the whole thing convinced I wanted rosewood back and sides with the spruce, but as I played the whole package of the individual guitar started to make a difference more than the back/side wood I thought I wanted.

Alot of the RW guitars I played had a little too much sparkle, and compared to just a bassier version of the all maple acoustic I already have. I was looking for an overall 'warmer' tone, and only a couple RW guitars seemed to have a little tamer high end, while alot more of the Mahogany models spoke to what I was really wanting to hear.

The D-16RGT was a great model for me, though I am planning on spending some more time with the MMV before I commit. So far though, I've only really bonded with two Rosewood guitars in the area that sounded like I wanted; an Alvarez Yairi DY84C, and a beautiful Collings which was WAY out of my price range.

So right now it's between the DC-16RGT and the Yairi DY84C for me, with alot of people pushing me towards the Martin.

• Members

Both are great guitars. You can't go wrong with either one. It's really down to what tone and feel you prefer. I also prefer the sunburst Guilds so I lean that way, but like I said either one is a great guitar. Why not get both?

• Members

It's really down to what tone and feel you prefer.

^

I had no idea how true that was until the last year or so, guildfire.

I've got a GAD-50 - and I simply love the thing. I've not played anything that cost less than $1,500 that I liked as much - and I've not played a sub-$2k Martin that I liked as much.

I had the opportunity to try out an F65ce - and there's no doubt it's a very veeeeeeery nice guitar. I'm sure it sounds fantastic plugged in, but I couldn't get into it unplugged.

Just last Friday I tried out a 000 guitar - a Recording King - that I thought sounded fantastic. At $700 (asking price) I thought it compared favorably to some very pricey 00 Martins.

I dunno. I'm not very into the name on the headstock. The only thing I know is that if it says Guild I'm almost sure to like it. I can't say the same about Martin.

But Martin makes great guitars for sure.

It's all about what your ears hear, I guess.

• Members

I own the GAD 50 and as a singer songwriter myself I can see what the OP is getting at. However I have really fallen in love with the tone of this guitar, and in a live situation the loudness of the guitar isn't an issue because the vocals and guitar levels are managed electronically... If I had the choice again, of the Guild or the Martin, I'd still go with the Guild

Also if the loudness of the guitar unplugged is an issue maybe consider an 000 shape, the tone is a lot more suited to allow the vocals to come to the front.

37285_10150221520860296_813305295_132353

• Members

I always ask myself, why a guitar is "too loud"? As far as I'm concerned, I can easily play at somewhat lower volumes, but playing louder than the guitar let's me, sounds worse than playing a bit more mellow.

Was a time, where I had a pick made out of felt to play really, really mellow.

• Members

I own the GAD 50 and as a singer songwriter myself I can see what the OP is getting at. However I have really fallen in love with the tone of this guitar, and in a live situation the loudness of the guitar isn't an issue because the vocals and guitar levels are managed electronically... If I had the choice again, of the Guild or the Martin, I'd still go with the Guild

Also if the loudness of the guitar unplugged is an issue maybe consider an 000 shape, the tone is a lot more suited to allow the vocals to come to the front.

37285_10150221520860296_813305295_132353

I agree i love the guild another problem that keeps me from bonding,I think is the fact that my hands are so huge I could wrap it around the guild. It screws up some chords and finger picking for me.. But the sound is really good. I guess im going to just have to save up and get that martin om28v that has been calling my name. My real beef with my gad50 is the neck. I think the d-16rgt has the same neck? Im not shure??

• Members

Nice Guild...be sure you won't regret selling/trading it before you do...
:idea:

I think the only way id get rid of it is for a f47. I just cant get comfy with the gad50 neck also its muddy to me?? Like when playing country tunes it just does not sound right to dark.. But if the neck was wider id love it for finger pickin.

• Members

Perhaps the problem is that a dread is not the right guitar for you. You might want to check out slightly smaller bodies, such as a Larrivee L body, the Guild GAD-30 and GAD-30R (both great guitars), or even an OM or 000 size in other makers, such as Blueridge. Not as boomy, good ones can be nearly as loud as a dread, but with more string to string clarity and usually a more balanced bass than a dread. Generally considered more suitable for fingerstyle and vocals.

• Members

Perhaps the problem is that a dread is not the right guitar for you. You might want to check out slightly smaller bodies, such as a Larrivee L body, the Guild GAD-30 and GAD-30R (both great guitars), or even an OM or 000 size in other makers, such as Blueridge. Not as boomy, good ones can be nearly as loud as a dread, but with more string to string clarity and usually a more balanced bass than a dread. Generally considered more suitable for fingerstyle and vocals.

You hit the nail on the head. lol I guess I just need to save up and get that om28v. But i love dreads also maybe ill keep the guild or if the Martin D-16RGT is more clear and balanced ill trade my guild or sell it for that.. So ill have a om and a dread.. I know i love my guild but it sounds kinda muddy to me?

• Members

I love Guilds and have owned many....Right now you can by a CO-1, or CO-2c for under $800 on E-bay....USA Tacoma built guilds listing for $2900. They are seconds, but I never had a problem with a second...generally just blemishes. They are F-30 bodys with a modified neck joint. They sound wonderful...

That being said...I really like the Martin 16 series and the RGT is a great sounding guitar....opposite in style and tone to the Guild....hell, if you can afford it, have both. I think its Guild's skinny nut (1-11/16) that scares people off of them....make sure you like the wider necks if you are used to that D50.

Archived