Luthier

fretplay

• Members

According to my Websters New World Dictionary the word is pronounced

LOOT-IER....accent on the first syllable......and the "h" is silent. That's how I've always pronounced it, but I've heard it pronounced both ways. It could be different in the UK......don't know.

• Members

According to an online diction, katopp and Opa John are the winners.

I never pronounce it that way, but I guess it makes sense since the d00ds make lutes.

The English Pronunciation is Luth-ier and it's the way I've always pronounced my trade title, whilst in continental Europe it tends to be pronounced Loo-tier (With it's variants), so take your pick. It's origin does indeed stem from a word to describe lute makers, but was broadened to include those who make other stringed instruments (Guitar maker, violin maker, cello maker, etc.).

In the strictest sense a luthier can be a guitar maker, but a guitar maker isn't necessarily a luthier.

• Members

The English Pronunciation is Luth-ier and it's the way I've always pronounced my trade title, whilst in continental Europe it tends to be pronounced Loo-tier (With it's variants), so take your pick. It's origin does indeed stem from a word to describe lute makers, but was broadened to include those who make other stringed instruments (Guitar maker, violin maker, cello maker, etc.).

In the strictest sense a luthier can be a guitar maker, but a guitar maker isn't necessarily a luthier.

Correct :thu:

• Members

Common usage trumps "proper" pronunciation in most cases. Eventually. The word "Kiln" comes to mind. We all know we're saying it wrong, but if we say it right nobody knows what we're talking about.

It's more a case of location, location, location when it boils down to pronunciation and the same can be said of tomato and potato, but you're definitely getting something wrong if you're saying kill'in/kill'un instead of kiln. ;)

Archived