Best Acoustic/Electric Guitar under $2000?

Count Dissident

• Members

I am looking for suggestions on the best all around acoustic/electric guitar under $2000. I am looking for a guitar with a great warm tone (full but not boomy bass with singing highs that cut but don't bite.) It is equally,if not more important that it sounds great when plugged in. I would prefer that it is a cutaway and have the feel and playability similar to a great electric guitar.

Also,it would be nice if it has some style to its looks. Nothing rediculous or over the top,but one that is stunning and beautiful. This is not a deal breaker (the tone is most important) but it would be a nice addition.

Basically,I am looking for the best bang for the buck. I am also not persuaded by the "big name brands" unless it is truly the best guitar available in its price range.Thanks!

• Members

It looks like no one has answered, so I'll give it a go.

The Taylor 300 and 400 series are good. the 314/414 are auditorium size (smaller bodied) and the 310/410 are dreads. I like the dreads.

I hear the Martin 16 series are also very good.

I've tried the Breedlove Atlas Stage D250 and it was awesome ($1,000).

There are also a bunch of Takamines that come in under that price point. They are awesome too.

Just play a few different ones (if possible) and see what you like. You can get a really great guitar for $2,000. You can get a lot of great ones for less, too.

• Members

there's no such thing as "best guitar under this price" or whatsoever.

there are many guitars on this planet and you have to find your own thing. you have to get a guitar that will suit your hands, and most importantly; u have to get a guitar with a tone that suits you and your music. so go out and try as much guitars as you can, this is the only way you can get a guitar which you won't regret after... good luck !

;)

• Members

New Martin OM-21 is the consensus "bang for the buck" Martin.

Other than that...

Used Martin OM-21 or OM-21 Special

Used Santa Cruz OMPW or DPW

For me personally, either a new Martin OM-21 or a used Santa Cruz OMPW :thu:

• Members

I am looking for suggestions on the best all around acoustic/electric guitar under $2000. I am looking for a guitar with a great warm tone (full but not boomy bass with singing highs that cut but don't bite.) It is equally,if not more important that it sounds great when plugged in. I would prefer that it is a cutaway and have the feel and playability similar to a great electric guitar.

Also,it would be nice if it has some style to its looks. Nothing rediculous or over the top,but one that is stunning and beautiful. This is not a deal breaker (the tone is most important) but it would be a nice addition.

Basically,I am looking for the best bang for the buck. I am also not persuaded by the "big name brands" unless it is truly the best guitar available in its price range.Thanks!

Most of the elements you are looking for ("great warm tone," "sounds great when plugged in," etc.) are highly subjective. You really will need to play a bunch of stuff to develop a sense of what you like. I love Martins and Martin-like guitars, so I'm inclined to recommend them to anyone in your budget range, but the part about electric playability and the desire for a cutaway puts me in mind of Taylor. Taylor makes a lot of cutaways with electronics...

Bear in mind that ANY guitar that is well made should play very comfortably after it has been set up by a competent tech. Martins, however, tend to come from the factory set up with "medium" action, the logic being that it is easier to take down a saddle than raise one, so the higher factory setup is more versatile in terms of being set up to an individual's taste. Taylor, by contrast, is fairly well known for very low-action factory setups and slim neck profiles, so they are often favored by electric players. If you're trying out a guitar that feels hard to play in the store, take a look at how much saddle there is to play with, and also the amount of relief (bow) in the neck. A lot of people try out acoustics in the store, experience some stiff playability and think, "Bad guitar." This is often not the case.

Take a look at the Taylor 14 Series.

http://elderly.com/new_instruments/names/taylor-414-ce-and-case--414CE.htm

• Members

I would add a USA made Guild F-30 Aragon or F-40 Valencia (for smaller bodies) or a D-50 or D-55 if you want a dread. None of these models have cutaways, however, but the new USA made Guilds are great guitars, are underpriced IMO and under $2K.

I think Takamine rules the roost at that price range. A better range of choices, mostly all wood, great preamps. Even the lower priced "G" series are very good.

• Members

Sorry, but that is just like asking "What is the best car under $50.000" or "What is the best Motorbike unnder $10.000".

I would defy all those, who now jump up and down and shout their beloved brand, may it be Martin, Taylor, Seagull, Yamaha, you-name-it.

Go out and play. Play, what ever you can lay your hands on, regardless of the price.

I own (among others) two extremely nice (and expensive) Martins, a D-35 and a D-40, but my must-played guitars currently are a Martin-copy that I use for trad-pub-nights and a Peavey Jack Daniel's AG

• Members

What people are saying about it being hard to impossible to pick a "best" choice in that price range - where there are SO MANY good choices - is absolutely true. However, that having been said, if I were looking for a nice, new ac/elect. in that price range, I'd be looking at either Takamine or Martin. YMMV.

• Members

Thanks to everyone for all of the responses!! I understand what many of you have said about it being tough to suggest a guitar in that price range with all of the great choices and I also realize that it is subject to my style and ear. I was really just looking for a jumping off point in my search and I figured I would start by getting the opinions of people on this board. It has definitely helped in the past and at least it helps me to not overlook something.

I will check out the Martins and Taylors for sure and thanks to Knockwood for the info on the factory setups!

One guitar that has me interested is the Godin Multiac Spectrum and I was wondering if anyone has an opinons on it? I have read that it may lack projection and tone when unplugged but it seems like an incredibly versatile guitar that has the feel of an electric guitar.

I should mention that I currently have a Takamine EG531SSC which I really like but as a lifelong electric player who has gotten serious about my acoustic project,I was looking to upgrade,especially for live playing. Would something like the Godin and Takamine combo be a solid all around pairing?

Thanks again for all of the help!

-Count

• Members

Talk to Jim at Guitar Rodeo. I think the Taylor 416ce 2009 Fall Ltd would be a good candidate. If you are comfy with medium strings, the sound and looks are both there for well under $2000.

• Members

The Taylors are wonderful. I have a 714LE in black walnut sides and back. It has the sweetest tone of any pure acoustic I have ever picked up and I have several others. Many times a searcherr can pick up a "REAL" Taylor for under $2000. (Sorry guys I don't consider anything under the Taylor 500 series as their best value guitars) . Elderly Instruments, eBay and some others occasionally have them.

• Members

So, when you said you were looking for an "acoustic/electric," I take it that you meant you were looking for a hybrid (with both acoustic and electric guitar sounds). I don't think that most (if any) of us who replied to your post understood that. If that's what you're looking for, I suspect that the Godin would be a good choice, or the Taylor T5. Do you need the synth access?

• Members

So, when you said you were looking for an "acoustic/electric," I take it that you meant you were looking for a hybrid (with both acoustic and electric guitar sounds). I don't think that most (if any) of us who replied to your post understood that. If that's what you're looking for, I suspect that the Godin would be a good choice, or the Taylor T5. Do you need the synth access?

Actually,I wasn't initially looking for a hybrid but after looking into the Godin it has gotten me interested. It seems like a very versatile guitar an while synth access is not a priority,I would be interested in the possibilities it could bring. I am just unsure of the true acoustic sound of it and the acoustic tone is the most important thing to me. For live performance it does seem like an interesting route though.

• Members

Hybrids generally do not have as good an acoustic sound as a traditional steel string guitar. However, they are interesting and quite a good choice for someone who primarily plays electric guitar.

Check out the Crafter SA range - these have a lipstick PU in the neck postition plus a UST piezo PU - they can be used alone or blended.

http://www.crafterguitars.com/gallery_acoustic/sa_arw.php

These people have a good deal on them:

http://gearhounds.com/craftersa-saarwacousticelectricguitar.aspx

• Members

If you broaden your search to include USED gear that opens a ton of doors. Keep that in mind.

I can't speak highly enough for the Taylor GS series except the expression system is terrible in my humble opinion. I got a J-45 in a trade that's fantastic. Looks killer, sounds killer, but the onboard pickup leaves a lot to be desired. Stuff like that is easy to add or change later. Just make sure the guitar itself is a good one.

• Members

A reckon best to get a nice acoustic sounding guitar and remember there's also some nice like new used ones also if u tke a friend along whom knows about acoustic guitars so as to check it out..and you can add yer ain

elec's to it in way of passive soundhole p/up ?

And whatever way u go awe the best tae ye :thu:

Archived