Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Acoustic/Electric Guitar under $2000?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Acoustic/Electric Guitar under $2000?

I am looking for suggestions on the best all around acoustic/electric guitar under $2000. I am looking for a guitar with a great warm tone (full but not boomy bass with singing highs that cut but don't bite.) It is equally,if not more important that it sounds great when plugged in. I would prefer that it is a cutaway and have the feel and playability similar to a great electric guitar.

Also,it would be nice if it has some style to its looks. Nothing rediculous or over the top,but one that is stunning and beautiful. This is not a deal breaker (the tone is most important) but it would be a nice addition.

Basically,I am looking for the best bang for the buck. I am also not persuaded by the "big name brands" unless it is truly the best guitar available in its price range.Thanks!

It looks like no one has answered, so I'll give it a go.

The Taylor 300 and 400 series are good. the 314/414 are auditorium size (smaller bodied) and the 310/410 are dreads. I like the dreads.

I hear the Martin 16 series are also very good.

I've tried the Breedlove Atlas Stage D250 and it was awesome ($1,000).

There are also a bunch of Takamines that come in under that price point. They are awesome too.

Just play a few different ones (if possible) and see what you like. You can get a really great guitar for $2,000. You can get a lot of great ones for less, too.
    The best piece of advice I ever got was when John Mayer told me, "Don't be a name dropper."

Comment

there's no such thing as "best guitar under this price" or whatsoever.

there are many guitars on this planet and you have to find your own thing. you have to get a guitar that will suit your hands, and most importantly; u have to get a guitar with a tone that suits you and your music. so go out and try as much guitars as you can, this is the only way you can get a guitar which you won't regret after... good luck !

Comment

New Martin OM-21 is the consensus "bang for the buck" Martin.

Other than that...

Used Martin OM-21 or OM-21 Special
        Used Santa Cruz OMPW or DPW

For me personally, either a new Martin OM-21 or a used Santa Cruz OMPW
        ReviveMusicStore.com
        Authorized dealer of Yamaha, Voyage Air, LR Baggs and Fishman
        Contact me at info@revivemusicstore.com

Comment

New Martin OM-21

Very hard to go wrong with an OM-21.
          I guess I kinda lost control, because in the middle of the play I ran up and lit the evil puppet villain on fire. No, I didn't. Just kidding. I just said that to help illustrate one of the human emotions, which is freaking out. Another emotion is greed, as when you kill someone for money, or something like that. Another emotion is generosity, as when you pay someone double what he paid for his stupid puppet.I.K.F.C.E.S.C.Potato SocietySAWG

Comment

I am looking for suggestions on the best all around acoustic/electric guitar under $2000. I am looking for a guitar with a great warm tone (full but not boomy bass with singing highs that cut but don't bite.) It is equally,if not more important that it sounds great when plugged in. I would prefer that it is a cutaway and have the feel and playability similar to a great electric guitar.

Also,it would be nice if it has some style to its looks. Nothing rediculous or over the top,but one that is stunning and beautiful. This is not a deal breaker (the tone is most important) but it would be a nice addition.

Basically,I am looking for the best bang for the buck. I am also not persuaded by the "big name brands" unless it is truly the best guitar available in its price range.Thanks!

Most of the elements you are looking for ("great warm tone," "sounds great when plugged in," etc.) are highly subjective. You really will need to play a bunch of stuff to develop a sense of what you like. I love Martins and Martin-like guitars, so I'm inclined to recommend them to anyone in your budget range, but the part about electric playability and the desire for a cutaway puts me in mind of Taylor. Taylor makes a lot of cutaways with electronics...

Bear in mind that ANY guitar that is well made should play very comfortably after it has been set up by a competent tech. Martins, however, tend to come from the factory set up with "medium" action, the logic being that it is easier to take down a saddle than raise one, so the higher factory setup is more versatile in terms of being set up to an individual's taste. Taylor, by contrast, is fairly well known for very low-action factory setups and slim neck profiles, so they are often favored by electric players. If you're trying out a guitar that feels hard to play in the store, take a look at how much saddle there is to play with, and also the amount of relief (bow) in the neck. A lot of people try out acoustics in the store, experience some stiff playability and think, "Bad guitar." This is often not the case.

Take a look at the Taylor 14 Series.
            http://elderly.com/new_instruments/names/taylor-414-ce-and-case--414CE.htm
            I guess I kinda lost control, because in the middle of the play I ran up and lit the evil puppet villain on fire. No, I didn't. Just kidding. I just said that to help illustrate one of the human emotions, which is freaking out. Another emotion is greed, as when you kill someone for money, or something like that. Another emotion is generosity, as when you pay someone double what he paid for his stupid puppet.I.K.F.C.E.S.C.Potato SocietySAWG

Comment

Crafter GLXE-3000/SK

http://www.crafterguitars.com/gallery_acoustic/glxe_3000_sk.php
              Howard

Comment

Me thinks Garth does work fir Crafter and awe new clients Garth gets

is a bonus tae him.. eh boyo
                A WISH A KNEW, WHAT A KNOW NOW, WHEN A WAS YOUNGER ----> ROD STEWART..

Alvarez RD20S-Sitka Spruce Top / Lam Mahogany ---> Back/Sides

Seagull Entourage Mini Jumbo (Burst) Cedar-Top / Wild Cherry ---> back/Sides

Yamaha FG 730S Vintage Burst Sitka Spruce Top / Lam Rosewood ---> back/sides

Ovation applause elec-acoustic (lam)

HCAG Permanently Ignoring ----> NO ONE WHY ? ----> Because I Aint So Child-ish

Comment

Every time I click on a Crafter Guitar link, I get nothing.

That goes for both http://www.crafterguitars.com and http://www.crafterusa.com

Either they don't know how to register their domain name, or they're running their website on someone's 1st-gen iPhone.

Probably part of the reason they're virtually non-existent in the U.S.
                  Yamaha LS6
                  Yamaha FG730S
                  Alvarez MD350

Comment

Every time I click on a Crafter Guitar link, I get nothing.

That goes for both http://www.crafterguitars.com and http://www.crafterusa.com

Both work for me.
                    Howard

Comment

Me thinks Garth does work fir Crafter and awe new clients Garth gets

is a bonus tae him.. eh boyo

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
                      Howard

Comment

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

The links work fir me also..must be they Crafter just like us Ukers
                        A WISH A KNEW, WHAT A KNOW NOW, WHEN A WAS YOUNGER ----> ROD STEWART..

Alvarez RD20S-Sitka Spruce Top / Lam Mahogany ---> Back/Sides

Seagull Entourage Mini Jumbo (Burst) Cedar-Top / Wild Cherry ---> back/Sides

Yamaha FG 730S Vintage Burst Sitka Spruce Top / Lam Rosewood ---> back/sides

Ovation applause elec-acoustic (lam)

HCAG Permanently Ignoring ----> NO ONE WHY ? ----> Because I Aint So Child-ish

Comment

I would add a USA made Guild F-30 Aragon or F-40 Valencia (for smaller bodies) or a D-50 or D-55 if you want a dread. None of these models have cutaways, however, but the new USA made Guilds are great guitars, are underpriced IMO and under $2K.

I think Takamine rules the roost at that price range. A better range of choices, mostly all wood, great preamps. Even the lower priced "G" series are very good.

Comment

Sorry, but that is just like asking "What is the best car under $50.000" or "What is the best Motorbike unnder $10.000".

I would defy all those, who now jump up and down and shout their beloved brand, may it be Martin, Taylor, Seagull, Yamaha, you-name-it.

Go out and play. Play, what ever you can lay your hands on, regardless of the price.

I own (among others) two extremely nice (and expensive) Martins, a D-35 and a D-40, but my must-played guitars currently are a Martin-copy that I use for trad-pub-nights and a Peavey Jack Daniel's AG

Comment

What people are saying about it being hard to impossible to pick a "best" choice in that price range - where there are SO MANY good choices - is absolutely true. However, that having been said, if I were looking for a nice, new ac/elect. in that price range, I'd be looking at either Takamine or Martin. YMMV.
                              Brad

My music can be heard here: http://www.reverbnation.com/braduebinger

Comment

Working...
                              X