Please help an electric player buy his first good acoustic

doc7string

• Members

I have been playing guitar for 32 years. I am Jazz trained, but have played progressive metal more than anything else. Well, life these days keeps me from having the time to play in a band, but I have found great satisfaction in writing music and recording it. Suprisingly though I have been writing neither jazz nor metal, but rather country music. I wont go into how I got interested in country, but will just say I am having so much fun. Only oneb problem, my Ibanez Joe Pass model archtop is no flattop when recorded, hence my post. I need a real nice acoustic for recording. I will be doing lots of strumming, fingerwork, and flatpicking solo work as well. I know that there is no acoustic that can do all perfectly but if it could do real well with all, I would be happy. I have played many different guitars but the choices are becoming overwhelming. I love how the Taylors play and how Martins sound. Recently played one of the martin performing artist series and it played and sounded great. Breedlove is definitely noy for me. I went to a high bend shop here in Pittsburgh (Acoustic Music Works) and got an arrogant attitude thrown at me rather than useful information. Played several collings guitars there and was +/- impressed. I know there are so many great guitars I just don't want to jump at the first thing that strikes my fancy. I need a bit of help with wood choices etc as well. Byb the way I would like to top out at $2500, but if the perfect guitar is more I will splurge. Lastly, the guitar will be used 99% of the time for recording. Thanks for any help you can give me as I feel very lost in the acoustic neighborhood.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If I had $2500 for a guitar and was a jazz player,I'd pick up a good maybe used Taylor T-5,or any other high end Taylor for that price.

If using it for Jazz yes indeed, but I will be using it for country music writing and recording. I really like how the Taylors play, but they just don't sound full enough to me (at least the ones I've played.

• Members

If I had $2500 for a guitar and was a jazz player,I'd pick up a good maybe used Taylor T-5,or any other high end Taylor for that price.

If using it for Jazz yes indeed, but I will be using it for country music writing and recording. I really like how the Taylors play, but they just don't sound full enough to me (at least the ones I've played (at least for country).

• Members
You want to play country music? Simple, you need a Martin D-28 or D-18.

You can thank me later.
:D

I'm sure you're right, and I do love that Martin sound, but bein so unknowlegable about acoustics, I find myself a bit intimidated. I can go into a music store with an electric and pick out the right guitar and amp with total confidence, but this acoustic venture is stressing me out.

• Members
You want to play country music? Simple, you need a Martin D-28 or D-18.

You can thank me later.
:D

yep or an alternative could be a Gibson J45.

Buy the Martin new and they well guarantee it for ever. That warranty is worth it's weight in gold. Many Martins will need as neck rest over time and it pretty nice to know that the guitar you bought in 2010, if it ever does need work Martin covers it 100%.

I have used the warranty before for a neck reset and the local authorize luthier did the work, plus Martin covered the cost of a new bridge and saddle.

I bought an MC 28 in 1989 and 15 years later in needed work. That work cost Martin probably 500 bucks and me not a dime, the guitar cost me 1300 buck new in 89.

I have since had about 7 of the money maker frest repalced.

I love my J45 and it seems to be holding up well.

I have since purchased 2 more Martins.

I do like my J45 too

This is just something to keep in mind.

I'm not a huge fan of Taylor stuff, but it sounds nice right out of the box.

Play as many good acoustics as you can and see what speaks to you.

• Members

yep or an alternative could be a Gibson J45.

Buy the Martin new and they well guarantee it for ever. That warranty is worth it's weight in gold. Many Martins will need as neck rest over time and it pretty nice to know that the guitar you bought in 2010, if it ever does need work Martin covers it 100%.

I have used the warranty before for a neck reset and the local authorize luthier did the work, plus Martin covered the cost of a new bridge and saddle.

I bought an MC 28 in 1989 and 15 years later in needed work. That work cost Martin probably 500 bucks and me not a dime, the guitar cost me 1300 buck new in 89.

I have since had about 7 of the money maker frest repalced.

I love my J45 and it seems to be holding up well.

I have since purchased 2 more Martins.

I do like my J45 too

This is just something to keep in mind.

I'm not a huge fan of Taylor stuff, but it sounds nice right out of the box.

Play as many good acoustics as you can and see what speaks to you.

Such great advice,but I feel like I need about 10 years to figure it out, and I want it for Christmas.

• Members

Has anyone here tried the Martin Performing Artist Series? I realize their claim to fame is their plugged in sound, but they sound good acoustically to me, and play beautifully (for an electric player at least). How does their sound compare to a D 18 or 28 whe heard by an ear accustomed to listening to the nuances of acoustic guitars.

• Members

I prefer to record with smaller body guitars aka 00 or 000, aka Concert or Auditorium. YMMV. Lots to choose from up to $2500.

Unfortunately, the Lots to choose from part of your comment is my problem. Maybe its a nice problem to have,but for me, still frustrating. Appreciate this and everyone elses input though.

• Members

Hello! I see you're in Pittsburgh as am I.

If you're willing to spend that much then maybe you should go to Acoustic Music Works in Squirrel Hill. They carry some pretty high-end stuff that top out over you range but there are plenty to choose from in your price range.

If you're looking strictly for a Taylor vs. Martin comparison there's Empire Music in Mount Lebanon. He carries both brands and on the last visit I saw that he had one of those Martin Performing series. FWIW I was not impressed and actually think that the Taylor GS models are superior. Otherwise, if you're looking for a dreadnought then look at the Martins. I'd recommend starting with the HD-28 and move from there.

Also, I'd recommend Backstage guitars which has two locations: one in East Liberty and a satellite store in Wexford. They carry Larriv

• Members
If using it for Jazz yes indeed, but I will be using it for country music writing and recording. I really like how the Taylors play, but they just don't sound full enough to me (at least the ones I've played.

My bad,I didn't see the country music part :facepalm:. Now that's settled,Martin and Gibson seem to get good love in country music,but there are other guitars in that price range I'd look at as well.I'm not overall impressed with the Taylor line up.

• Members

For Country and All-Round ...

Martin D-28/35 for rhythm

000/OM for more fingerstyle'y.

Try Guild D50/55, too, but stay away from MiC Guilds.

Give Rainsong or Cargo a try, they are very much "left-field", but deffo worth it.

Archived