Takamine G Series - replacement preamp with a tuner?

Alt-me

• Members

Hey guys,

I have a Takamine G Series and the jack socket needs replacing so I figure that I may aswell change the preamp too, for one with a built in tuner.

Only problem is, my guitar already has a built in preamp, so I need to get one the same size... :idk: can anyone reccommend a preamp the same size as the Takamine TP-4 with a built in tuner?

I'd like to be able to cut down my pedalboard and just take the guitar, Boss Vocal pedal and leads to gigs. :thu:

• Members

YESSS!

Thanks guildfire :thu:

That's exactly what I've been looking for, all I'd found up to now was that new tube one, which although is cool, is far out of my price range.

Just need to find somewhere that sells these now.

Cheers :)

• Members

I did some research into this question when I owned a Tak, and there are some things that you should know. First of all, the "pro-level" Taks are advertised as having "user replaceable preamps." ANY of the preamps in that series of guitars can easily be replaced. You just pop out the preamp (just like you do when you change the battery) and pop in the new preamp. However, Takamine really prefers that you take it to a certified "Takamine service center" to do this change. When I asked about this service at a Takamine service center, I was told that they would charge $100 for this "service" (which, once again, simply involved popping one preamp out and sticking in the other one). Furthermore, they wanted to charge me full list price for the preamp. Obviously, you're better off getting one of the preamps off of eBay and doing it yourself. You'll save a lot of money on the preamp and will spend NOTHING on the service call. But that's not how Takamine prefers that you do it.

On the G-series guitars, they are NOT designed to be swapped out. It would still be very easy to do so. You'd probably have to pry out the old one and glue the new one in. You'd also have to solder the new one in. Still, very easy to do. However, be aware that Takamine would still probably void your warranty if you did this. (Unless you had a "certified service center" do the work - at extortionist rates. So, it is very doable, but will probably void your warranty.) :rolleyes:

Just FYI.

• Members

Good advice ^. I have a "pro level" Tak so it was very easy to pop out the old preamp and just basically insert the new one. And yes, the G series ones may not be that easy to interchange, so check it out carefully. Prices for these new preamps and "installation" as noted is extortionate, so ebay is the way to go. Good luck.

• Members

I should probably mention that I'm not the sort of person who cares about voiding the factory warranty. I have luthier friend who does work on my instruments for VERY reasonable rates. I'm the sort of guy who has been know to buy a new instrument right off the wall of a store and send it directly to the shop to be modified to my specifications. The conversation typically goes something like this: Salesman: "Um, sir, you do realize that this will void your factory warranty?" Me: "I don't care. I want it to be the way I want it."

However, it matters to a lot of people, so I thought I'd mention it.

• Members

:thu: Cheers

My warranty is dead anyway... I don't have the receipt (bought five years ago, when I was young and stupid) and the store I bought from have since gone under. I'm gonna ask around a few places and see if anywhere will order for me and for how much :)

Archived