Is My Guitar Sick?

Freeman Keller

• Members

Is My Guitar Sick?

The following are a few very simple measurements you can do at home to judge the relative health of your guitar. They will indicate possible things that need to be adjusted to make it play better. They will give you some records so that if your guitar seems somehow

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by eor

would all the same rules apply to an electric? a nylon stringed classical?

thanks!

love,

eor

Sorry, don't know anything about electrics. Do know that a classical will be basically the same - but their construction does change a few things. First, the neck angle is checked the same way - a straightedge should just kiss the top of the bridge. But since you cannot reset the neck on a classical it is kind of a moot point (the neck is built into the body of the guitar and is not removable). Likewise, relief is about the same, but since there is no adjustable truss rod it is planed into the neck between the nut and 12th fret. I used 0.010 when I built mine. From the 12th to the sound hole the neck is basically flat. Actions tend to be slightly higher (and are usually measured in millimeters). Mine was set at 3.5mm low E and 2.5 high E. Nuts are the same - you just want clearance at the first fret when capoed at 2.

• Members

Anyone notice the size of FKs hands? Those are some big paws.

We need a sticky for this kind of stuff. I take good care of my own guitars but I'm not real technical about it like FK is. I do it all by sight and feel. The good thing about FKs threads is it puts some numbers/measurements/examples out for people to see.

• Members

Originally posted by kwakatak

What's wrong? Is your sticky thingie broke?

(They're all gone at the time I write this and replaced with a single "downtime" stickie.)
:confused:

I have no clue. There's work goin' on 'round here, that's all I know. :confused:

• Members

That was a great post thanks! :)

Did you make that acoustic yourself?

If yes , then I also have a selfmade 000 style guitar. Mine has the shorter scale with exactly the same setup measurements as you described. I currently use 12 gauge strings( that clapton set - I like the slightly heavier A string)

Just quick question do you or have you ever put 13's on that guitar ?

I play mostly fingerstyle with or without picks. I use a plectrum maybe 30% of the time.. I'm curious about 13's as with the shorter scale they might play easier than with a longer scale guitar

Archived