AER Compact 60 vs Schertler Unico vs Fishman Loudbox 100

Stackabones

• Members

I'm going to dump my Marshall AS50D for something lighter and hopefully better sounding. The majority of my gigs are solo (usually with a nylon-string) and often with vocal. Settings are restaurants, cafes, private parties--in general, small rooms.

My goal is to get my entire rig (guitar, amp, mic stand, gear bag) into the trunk of my Infiniti I30. One trip from trunk to gig kinda thing.

The AER is the lightest and smallest (19 lbs, 13 x 10 x 9 inches), but it is pricey. Schertler has more inputs than the AER and has more wattage. Fishbox is the cheapest and it looks similar to the AER. AER & Schertler are about $1K, and the Fishman is $600.

What say you?

• Members

I played through a AER when I bought my Martin. I was greatly impressed with it. Never played through a Schertler though. The Fishman looks heavy (Played through it but never picked it up) plus how much wattage do you need. Those fishman look like the put out a ton of sound but if you are playing a place big enough to need that it will usually have a PA.

All that said I didn't have the money to buy any of the above and just purchased a small Crate for Jammin and am very happy with it.

My point? I don't know.. Good luck with your search.

• Members

I've never used the Schertler, but I've owned two AER's, two Ultrasounds, and two Cali Blondes. They all have thier strong points, but I felt like the Fishman Loudbox Performer was kind of a greatest hits. It was the only one I was able to use the K&K Mini with and not need an outboard eq.

The AER is also a great little amp- loved walking around downtown after a gig with a guitar over one shoulder and my amp over the other enjoying an expresso as I hunt for my car. But I had a hard time getting a great tone from the Compact 60 with the K&K or mic, but it was pretty steller with a Rare Earth though.:)

• Members

Never played the Loudbox, but I've played both the Schertler and the AER ( I own an AER ). The AER is great in the fact that it is extremely portable, built tough and sounds great. All in all it's a great amp.

The Unico ( IMO ) is slightly superior. It has more low end presence and a fuller reverb.

You can't go wrong between the two, but if you're gonna drop that kinda coin you might as well go for the Schertler.

• Members

I have both the CA Blonde and last year purchased the Fishmna Loud Box Performer.

I the Fishman is pretty sweet, and lighter than the CA Blonde.

LR Baggs now makes and acoustic amp, it should be pretty sweet for the $$$, it's not cheap

• Members

I've tried all three brands, but have not owed (or used regularly) any of them.

There are two Schertlers, the David and the Unico. The nod goes to the Unico (not surprising) between those two. If you go for one of these, research the pickup you plan on using and the input impedance of the Schertler amp, as that may be an issue with certain pickups.

Of the AERs, I've played the Alpha, Compact 2, Domino and Acousticube III. All very nice, and (again, not surprising) these get better as you go up the AER foodchain. Features are a bit limited on the less expensive models. Very nice sound.

As to the Fishmans, I've chekced out the original Loudbox, the Loudbox Performer and the big 600 watt Loudbox. These are very nice amps with a very good feature set.

Of the three brands, sonically I liked the Unico alot, as well as the AER Domino. The Acousticube III was certainly the best of these amps, but that's expected given its $2,500 price tag. But all of these amps are just different flavors of excellence. The Fishman is in the same general ballpark as the others.

Featurewise, the Fishman amps I liked the most. The Unico's feature set is excellent too.

I tried these amps with solo fingerstyle (no vocals) in mind, using SBT/internal mic sources.

Good luck on your search. You may also want to check into a decent small PA or one or two powered speakers. A lot can be said for going that route instead of an acoustic amp.

• Members

Thanks to all for the responses so far. Very helpful!!!

I hadn't considered the type of pickup to be used with the amp--a very important consideration. Most of the time, I'll use a piezo--most of my guitars are equipped with them. I'd love to go all mic, but I'm playing some pretty noisy situations and worried about ambient noise. Plus, micing the guitar adds to the set up--one more mic, stand w/boom, and cord to deal with.

I've thought about the small PA route ... but I think I might be happier with the small amp--mainly for portability reasons and ease of set up and the ability to play in really tight corners. I plan on getting some powered PA speakers in the future. When that happens, I'll use the small amp as a monitor.

Anybody else?

• Members

Thanks to all for the responses so far. Very helpful!!!

I hadn't considered the type of pickup to be used with the amp--a very important consideration. Most of the time, I'll use a piezo--most of my guitars are equipped with them. I'd love to go all mic, but I'm playing some pretty noisy situations and worried about ambient noise. Plus, micing the guitar adds to the set up--one more mic, stand w/boom, and cord to deal with.

I've thought about the small PA route ... but I think I might be happier with the small amp--mainly for portability reasons and ease of set up and the ability to play in really tight corners. I plan on getting some powered PA speakers in the future. When that happens, I'll use the small amp as a monitor.

Anybody else?

By "piezo" I assume you mean a UST (under the saddle) pickup. Given your budget, and your UST pickups, I would suggest getting the Loudbox Performer and a D-TAR Mama Bear. To many folks, those USTs need something more than a good amp, if you want them to sound something like an acoustic guitar unplugged. The Mama Bear fixes that pretty well. You might also consider upgrading the UST in one or two gutiars to the more recent film based USTs (D-TAR Wavelength, w/o its preamp, or the PUTW I/O). That assumes your USTs are of some vintage.

• Members

By "piezo" I assume you mean a UST (under the saddle) pickup. Given your budget, and your UST pickups, I would suggest getting the Loudbox Performer
and
a D-TAR Mama Bear. To many folks, those USTs need something more than a good amp, if you want them to sound something like an acoustic guitar unplugged. The Mama Bear fixes that pretty well. You might also consider upgrading the UST in one or two gutiars to the more recent film based USTs (D-TAR Wavelength, w/o its preamp, or the PUTW I/O). That assumes your USTs are of some vintage.

Yep. UST! Alvarez AC60SC. Not very fond of the sound. The D-TAR Mama Bear keeps popping up on my radar. That, and the LR Baggs Para DI.

• Members

I'm going to dump my Marshall AS50D for something lighter and hopefully better sounding. The majority of my gigs are solo (usually with a nylon-string) and often with vocal. Settings are restaurants, cafes, private parties--in general, small rooms.

My goal is to get my entire rig (guitar, amp, mic stand, gear bag) into the trunk of my Infiniti I30. One trip from trunk to gig kinda thing.

The AER is the lightest and smallest (19 lbs, 13 x 10 x 9 inches), but it is pricey. Schertler has more inputs than the AER and has more wattage. Fishbox is the cheapest and it looks similar to the AER. AER & Schertler are about $1K, and the Fishman is $600.

What say you?

I saw this advertised in this months Guitar World Acoustic Magazine. AAD -CUBE AG-100 acoustic amp. You may want to check it out.

http://www.aadsound.com/AG100.htm

Trina

• Members

I saw this advertised in this months Guitar World Acoustic Magazine.
AAD -CUBE AG-100
acoustic amp. You may want to check it out.

That's small! Micro amp!!! Read a good review here. From what I gather, they are not too easy to find. Found one at Sound Island.

Micro amps. Intriguing idea. I read one user review at HC of the Cub. Anyone around here have any experience with it?

• Members

Check out the new Mackie SRM-150. 150 watts, multiple inputs, phantom power and mic stand mountable. Seems like an all in one mini PA solution for small gigs, or use as a stage monitor for larger gigs. I'm intrigued...

Under three bills? Pretty affordable. Very interesting.

Thanks for the tip, maxed.

• Members

Hi Stack ...

I just answered a similar query in another post ... Here's a paste of what I suggested there:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually - I'm going to suggest you look at a "personal PA" as well as acoustic amps. I use one (Yamaha StagePAS 300) and find it much more versatile (I play several instruments, so admittedly, this may matter more to me than you). I also prefer the sound compared to most acoustic amps I've heard - it seems more "natural" .. for lack of a better word. The StagePAS can be used as a stage monitor or as a main, depending on your needs and the size of the venue. I've also used it as a personal "passive" mixer by outputting the pre-amped signal to the house board. I like the way it's built as well - very easy and convenient to transport.

Yamaha has just come out with the 500 watt version of the StagePAS and it retails for around CAD$1,000. You can get the 300 for around CAD$550.

Hope this helps.

Cheers !

• Members

Hi Stack ...

I just answered a similar query in another post ... Here's a paste of what I suggested there:

Actually - I'm going to suggest you look at a "personal PA" as well as acoustic amps. I use one (Yamaha StagePAS 300) and find it much more versatile (I play several instruments, so admittedly, this may matter more to me than you). I also prefer the sound compared to most acoustic amps I've heard - it seems more "natural" .. for lack of a better word. The StagePAS can be used as a stage monitor or as a main, depending on your needs and the size of the venue. I've also used it as a personal "passive" mixer by outputting the pre-amped signal to the house board. I like the way it's built as well - very easy and convenient to transport.

Yamaha has just come out with the 500 watt version of the StagePAS and it retails for around CAD$1,000. You can get the 300 for around CAD$550.

Thanks, Rickkkk. That would open bass gigs for me!

I don't think it's much lighter (or smaller) than my current amp, but it is far more versatile. Hmmm ....

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I think the three amps you're looking at are all good; I'd suggest trying them in person if at all possible. It may not be practical, but it's probably the best way to find out what's right for you.

I almost always play solo, and I used to cart around a 4-channel mixer and 2 speakers, but after using a friend's AER Acousticube for a gig I started researching combo amps.

The AER is very transparent, and it sure has lots of good features. But I bought a Schertler Unico. (The Fishman Loudbox series--especially not the 100--hadn't hit the market yet.)

Anyway, I went with the Schertler Unico, sound unheard, and I'm glad I did. It's got the flexibility I need input-wise, and the sound is warm, rich, and very acoustic. The spring reverb is excellent, and in small amounts it's all I need. I run my Baggs Double Barrel pickup (UST and internal mic) into the STAT input using a stereo-summed-to-mono cable. My vocal mic, an Audix VX-10 condenser, goes into the mic channel. When I need a second vocal mic, I plug a dynamic into the DYN channel. I can position the Unico behind my right hear so I can monitor the sound as I play; in the venues I play, I don't run into any feedback problems.

The newest Unicos lack the fourth input mine has, from what I understand, but they're biamped and have 4-band EA on each channel. They also have a gain control for each channel, which seems a very good idea.

And the Unico is built really, really well. So's the AER. The Loudbox I've heard (not the 100) seemed really substantial, too, but I guess I'm partial to the Schertler's Swiss craftsmanship.

That said, I just recommended the Loudbox 100 to another musician who's just starting to gig. After all, it can be had for half the price of the Schertler Unico, and there is something to be said for that!

Still, if the sound is the most important thing, I hope you get to listen to these amps to "hear" which one's best for you.

Two other amps worth mentioning, one of which someone alluded to already: first, the Baggs Core-1, which is due out in June, I think. It's got a new kind of speaker design that has lots of coverage--140 degrees. And it's got some other good features, too. It's in the same price range as the AER and the Schertler you mentioned. Second, another amp in that same ballpark is the Acoustic Image. I don't know enough about them to have an informed opinion, but I've read really good things about them. And they're supposed to be very light.

Hope this helps.

Good luck finding your new amp!

Nath

• Members

I think the three amps you're looking at are all good; I'd suggest trying them in person if at all possible. It may not be practical, but it's probably the best way to find out what's right for you.

I almost always play solo, and I used to cart around a 4-channel mixer and 2 speakers, but after using a friend's AER Acousticube for a gig I started researching combo amps.

The AER is very transparent, and it sure has lots of good features. But I bought a Schertler Unico. (The Fishman Loudbox series--especially not the 100--hadn't hit the market yet.)

Anyway, I went with the Schertler Unico, sound unheard, and I'm glad I did. It's got the flexibility I need input-wise, and the sound is warm, rich, and very acoustic. The spring reverb is excellent, and in small amounts it's all I need. I run my Baggs Double Barrel pickup (UST and internal mic) into the STAT input using a stereo-summed-to-mono cable. My vocal mic, an Audix VX-10 condenser, goes into the mic channel. When I need a second vocal mic, I plug a dynamic into the DYN channel. I can position the Unico behind my right hear so I can monitor the sound as I play; in the venues I play, I don't run into any feedback problems.

The newest Unicos lack the fourth input mine has, from what I understand, but they're biamped and have 4-band EA on each channel. They also have a gain control for each channel, which seems a very good idea.

And the Unico is built really, really well. So's the AER. The Loudbox I've heard (not the 100) seemed really substantial, too, but I guess I'm partial to the Schertler's Swiss craftsmanship.

That said, I just recommended the Loudbox 100 to another musician who's just starting to gig. After all, it can be had for half the price of the Schertler Unico, and there is something to be said for that!

Still, if the sound is the most important thing, I hope you get to listen to these amps to "hear" which one's best for you.

Two other amps worth mentioning, one of which someone alluded to already: first, the Baggs Core-1, which is due out in June, I think. It's got a new kind of speaker design that has lots of coverage--140 degrees. And it's got some other good features, too. It's in the same price range as the AER and the Schertler you mentioned. Second, another amp in that same ballpark is the Acoustic Image. I don't know enough about them to have an informed opinion, but I've read really good things about them. And they're supposed to be very light.

Thanks, nightjar! Welcome to the forums. :wave:

I need to find some places around town that have the AER. I've played the Schertler David (about a year ago) and was blown away by it. The Unico is definitely a contender.

Seems like Guitar Centers carry the Loudbox, so I need to test run one there. For whatever reasons, that amp just seems like a stopgap for the AER or the Schertler. So I'm thinking of holding on to the Marshall a bit longer, save some money, and get what I want. In the meantime, do some test runs.

Hope to see you around, nightjar. :thu:

• Members

Thanks, nightjar! Welcome to the forums.

I need to find some places around town that have the AER. I've played the Schertler David (about a year ago) and was blown away by it. The Unico is definitely a contender.

Seems like Guitar Centers carry the Loudbox, so I need to test run one there. For whatever reasons, that amp just seems like a stopgap for the AER or the Schertler. So I'm thinking of holding on to the Marshall a bit longer, save some money, and get what I want. In the meantime, do some test runs.

Hope to see you around, nightjar.

Thanks--I'm glad I helped a bit.

I do think the "Fishbox" 100 beats other things out there in its price range; but I also think you might be right about its being a stopgap for an AER or Schertler. I've heard the Genz-Benz Shen amps and Fender Acoustisonics, and the AER and Schertler units really are in a different league.

I still haven't heard the Acoustic Image amps, but if you get a chance, you might find yourself liking them.

If you need only two channels and not as much power, the David would be fine, I'll bet. (I haven't heard one, I've just read of them.) But you sure couldn't go wrong with a Unico.

Thanks again for the welcome!

Nath

• 1 month later...

Archived