Opinions on Washburn D-10

bluzboy

• Members

I'm considering buying a used Washburn D-10 for just under $100. Seems like a pretty decent dread and it'll be a change from my herd of Yammies.

I'm a bit confused, though, because the label simply reads model "D-10." From what I've seen online, there's a whole range of letters that typically follow that (S, M, CE, DL and assorted combinations thereof). This guitar appears to be nicely aged, so I'm assuming it's one of the early models, before they started changing it up. But does anyone know exactly what this is? (I'm assuming it's a laminate top, but hey, you never know.)

Any informed opinions about the D-10 would be greatly appreciated.

• Members

AFAIK, only models with the "S" suffix actually have solid tops. The back and sides on all D-10 models are laminated. "M" means all mahogany, "CE" means cutaway with electronics, DL means dreadnought left-handed, QSB means quilted maple top with sunburst finish, etc. That said, $100 is a decent price for a D-10 in good condition. Buy it and enjoy.

• Members

I should have been more clearer on my previous reply..according to the website all D-10 series made now are solid tops

That is true of their current offerings. You'll notice that all the D10's currently offered have the S suffix.

However, Washburn has made laminate top D10's in the past. If you have one that does not have the S in its prefix, it's a pretty sure bet it's a laminate top. Look at the wood at the edge of the soundhole. If there is a laminate layer in the top, it will show there.

• Members

^^^ Damn! That looks like an even sweeter deal, assuming it plays well. But the gas costs to Ohio are a bit prohibitive (not to mention the problems I'm having with my fingers these days).

ETA: I'm still a bit confused here. This D-10 has sealed gold tuners, which as far as I know, is considered a "deluxe" feature. And yet, it is a plain ol' D-10. I'm guessing it was made in '98 or '99, so I assume it is indeed a laminate. But those tuners look original. Don't think that was standard at the time. Anyone know what's going on with this? (Not that I'm complaining, mind you...)

Archived