Best value acoustic guitar pickup?

davie

• Moderators

Hey guys, I may be expecting to perform live some time using acoustic. My acoustic guitar doesn't have a preamp or jack. Its a steel string acoustic dreadnought. I am considering getting an acoustic guitar pickup. Basically those ones that you attach to the soundhole. I was wondering if you guys know what are some good "bang for the buck" acoustic pickups. I'm looking for a good value, and I'm on a budget (no more than $100-150). I mainly want it for convenience for live and maybe to add to my recording setup as well.

Thanks, I appreciate any suggestions you may have. :)

• Members

Unfortunately, the Baggs M1 passive needs a preamp. You'll spend $170 or so for the active version, which has a built-in preamp. The Fishman Rare Earth is about the same price and is another excellent pickup. The Fishman NeoD is pretty much a budget version of the Rare Earth. It's passive but cheap enough to allow money for a preamp if needed.

• Members

I used a Lawrence A-300 for years. Cheap and tough.. I used an eq pedal with it.

http://www.billlawrenceusa.com/swampkaster/Acoustic%20Pickups.htm

All the Lawrence soundhole PUPS do a good job w/o a preamp. ($45-65) I used one for many years before I began using SBTs. I keep an A245C in my gig bag handy if I ever have a feedback issue with my SBT. So far I havent had to use it. :)

• Members

Unfortunately, the Baggs M1
passive
needs a preamp. You'll spend $170 or so for the active version, which has a built-in preamp. The Fishman Rare Earth is about the same price and is another excellent pickup. The Fishman NeoD is pretty much a budget version of the Rare Earth. It's passive but cheap enough to allow money for a preamp if needed.

^^^^What he said. The Fishman Rare Earth is a wonderful in hole pick up.

Believe it or not though, for accasional use that precludes the need to modify the guitar is the Dean Markley ProMag slip in pick up.

yc8z-oQBF6ME1Q8n5fqyKF8dk-1FnC4q_tgz-SUP

Always available somewhere for $30.00 to $40.00. Good sound and output so it can be used plugged direct to an amp or a PA system. The only real downside is the cord hanging out can get in the way depending on how your play your guitar but most times routing the cord back to loop through the strap will keep it out of the way.

I still carry my twenty five+ year old ProMag along as a back up.

• Moderators

Gosh.. I don't know how to decide. lol

But I know I want one that is more natural sounding. You guys posted many suggestions. Though I've checked out clips for the L.R. Baggs M1. That one sounds great. I might prefer the passive one? But I will also consider active, since I'm not sure if any venue will have preamps. Also.. I'm not sure, but the passive one sounds more open than the active one.

Anyways. I'll check out the rest soon and tell you my thoughts. Thanks guys! :)

• Members

^^^^What he said. The Fishman Rare Earth is a wonderful in hole pick up.

Believe it or not though, for accasional use that precludes the need to modify the guitar is the Dean Markley ProMag slip in pick up.

yc8z-oQBF6ME1Q8n5fqyKF8dk-1FnC4q_tgz-SUP
Always available somewhere for $30.00 to $40.00. Good sound and output so it can be used plugged direct to an amp or a PA system. The only real downside is the cord hanging out can get in the way depending on how your play your guitar but most times routing the cord back to loop through the strap will keep it out of the way.

I still carry my twenty five+ year old ProMag along as a back up.

I have a Woody (Semour Duncan?) for the same reason I hardly ever use it though. Most of the open mic I do I just stand in front the stand and play. Not suffered from feed back yet - when I do I'll probably reconsiderand use the pick up more

Phil

Archived