Carvin M68 Mics - anyone use?

totamus

• Members

Made by Shure...very slightly different housing...most know it as the venerable SM-58 (Yes, the EXACT same mic!).

4 for a C-note? Grab 'em!
:thu:

Not exactly the same Terry. While they are reportedly (and probably) made by Shure and are similar, there are differences in sensitivity, frequency response and rated impedence & output.

On my voice they definitely sound different with the Carvin being a clearer sounding mic with a bit more sparkle and the Carvin is somewhat hotter.

• Members

I researched a little and good not find anything definitive. Found another forum where the poster claimed they were made by Nady. The seller is now waffling on the price, so it could go either way (I wont pay over $100). I also have a couple of Shure SM57 mic elements. I wonder if they would be a fit?

• Members

Not exactly the same Terry. While they are reportedly (and probably) made by Shure and are similar, there are differences in sensitivity, frequency response and rated impedence & output.

On my voice they definitely sound different with the Carvin being a clearer sounding mic with a bit more sparkle and the Carvin is somewhat hotter.

SM-58s, and, indeed, all mics, will vary somewhat in hotness (gain), sensitivity, and frequency response from one example to another, but, these are, indeed, 58s...of the 4 SM-58s and 5 57s I currently own, each has it's individual degree of gain, hotness, sensitivity, and frequency response, as is demonstratable by plugging a cable into a PA channel and changing mics on it from one to the next.

I've owned several of the Carvin mics, over the years, (big-time Carvin PA gear fan! :)) and they're the same mic as the SM-58.

BTW, in the past, Fender, Guild, Mosrite and Archer (now Radio Shack), and likely other companies, as well, have offered SM-58s and 57s under their own model designations.

And, again, for 4/$100, that's one sweet deal! :thu:

• Members

SM-58s, and, indeed, all mics, will vary somewhat in hotness (gain), sensitivity, and frequency response from one example to another, but, these are, indeed, 58s...of the 4 SM-58s and 5 57s I currently own, each has it's individual degree of gain, hotness, sensitivity, and frequency response, as is demonstratable by plugging a cable into a PA channel and changing mics on it from one to the next.

Yes, any individual mic of a given model number can be different than another due to slight manufactuting tolerance differences, however the specs on the SM58 VS the M68 are different, plain and simple. That means that either the capsule or circuitry in the mics are different, hence not EXACTLY the same, even if the housing is identical.

• Members

Yes, any individual mic of a given model number can be different than another due to slight manufactuting tolerance differences, however the specs on the SM58 VS the M68 are different, plain and simple. That means that either the capsule or circuitry in the mics are different, hence not EXACTLY the same, even if the housing is identical.

Same capsule, too...no reason to argue, as I think we agree that 4/$100 is a sweet deal! :thu:

• Members

Thanks for the offer, but I have quite a nice selection of mics. The only reason I am somewhat interested in the M68 is the price: 4/$100. I have 3 fairly decent but cheap Audio Technicas that are currently back up mics and thought these would be better, based on my limited experience with Carvin.

Archived